V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 FXR with forward controls. The shifter lever on the tranny looks like it was broken and then welded by a poor welder. I want to replace it while the primary is off, but I don't have any idea what the right part number would be. My Harley parts manual only shows the parts for a mid-shifter.
1602820431284.png

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
645 Posts
Far as I know the levers were all the same. Only the linkage between forwards and mids were different for obvious reasons.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
That looks like the stock lever to me... but, I cannot see the length.. Looks just like mine.
BTW there is no such thing as OE forwards..certainly Not for Your '82..

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
same lever used on all 5 speed transmissions,,, they are available.. alao used with any manufacturers forwards,,, no oen forwards for this bike,,,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Apologize if this is too far off-topic, but thought it worth noting, on the topic of Transmission Shift levers. The H-D Parts Catalog for my bike...1985 FXRS specifies 33715-80A for the 1984-FXRS, FXRT.
It shows: 33715-85 for "85 to *- ALL MODELS".
I've replaced mine on the '85 twice in 35 yrs. That's in a bit over 305,000 mi so I'm not griping. Seems that the ones for the '85 bikes are some sort of "pot metal"...not steel. They get a little "loose" on the transmission splines over time and "waller-out" ( that's a highly technical term we used a lot in Tennessee, hope it doesn't go over the heads of too many people :rolleyes:)
Somebody told me that was "by design" so that when they do get loose...it doesn't chew up the transmission shaft that would be a whole lot more expensive to replace.
I put this up to see if anyone else had had similar experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Apologize if this is too far off-topic, but thought it worth noting, on the topic of Transmission Shift levers. The H-D Parts Catalog for my bike...1985 FXRS specifies 33715-80A for the 1984-FXRS, FXRT.
It shows: 33715-85 for "85 to *- ALL MODELS".
I've replaced mine on the '85 twice in 35 yrs. That's in a bit over 305,000 mi so I'm not griping. Seems that the ones for the '85 bikes are some sort of "pot metal"...not steel. They get a little "loose" on the transmission splines over time and "waller-out" ( that's a highly technical term we used a lot in Tennessee, hope it doesn't go over the heads of too many people :rolleyes:)
Somebody told me that was "by design" so that when they do get loose...it doesn't chew up the transmission shaft that would be a whole lot more expensive to replace.
I put this up to see if anyone else had had similar experience. Thanks.
I think that lever also appears on FLHT's of that era, and beyond... POS
I'm glad I have the Steel one on My FXRS... I believe it should be a maintenance item to tighten the Clamp screw once in awhile.. Kinda like folks having the Damn Shifter fall of!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think that lever also appears on FLHT's of that era, and beyond... POS
I'm glad I have the Steel one on My FXRS... I believe it should be a maintenance item to tighten the Clamp screw once in awhile.. Kinda like folks having the Damn Shifter fall of!!!!!
(emphasis mine)
Yup...that's how I've come to treat it. Just reach down in there and put a wrench on it now and then.
FWIW...in a related area on the bike: I also squirt a little lube into the "Heym joints" on the rod that connects the shifter pedal to the lever on the tranny. I had one fail on a cross-country road trip somewhere between the Grand Canyon and Scottsdale, AZ. They need attention too.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
(emphasis mine)
Yup...that's how I've come to treat it. Just reach down in there and put a wrench on it now and then.
FWIW...in a related area on the bike: I also squirt a little lube into the "Heym joints" on the rod that connects the shifter pedal to the lever on the tranny. I had one fail on a cross-country road trip somewhere between the Grand Canyon and Scottsdale, AZ.
Yes, they do fail. They are small, I always carried an extra one, whether it's for my bike or someone else's bike that needs it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, they do fail. They are small, I always carried an extra one, whether it's for my bike or someone else's bike that needs it.
Yup...I keep one in my saddlebags as well..NOW. At the time, I didn't have a spare, it was early on a Sunday morning just coming into Scottsdale. I held the clutch in and just let roll her into the parking lot of a market that was open at the time next to the Interstate. Went inside, picked up an apple and a 1/2 pint of Jack Daniels, sat on the curb and had breakfast while figuring out what to do next. I remembered a Club Brother from years back that held his together with "hair ties". I had plenty of hair ties on me since back then I actually HAD hair..( LOL..!!). It occurred to me though that I also had something better...I used a couple of nylon wire ties to hold everything together on the end that had come apart, got back on the bike and rode her on home to S.E. Georgia. I picked up a pack pf 100 wire ties at the first truck stop I got to since I didn't know how long that "fix" would hold. Turns out the first two was all I needed. Bought 2 of the failed parts, put one on, and always carry a spare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts