V-Twin Forum banner
121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Thanks. Got a friend over and got the fender installed. First tape to prevent scratches:

Then I held it in place while he loosely bolted it in place. We then slipped in NOS sissy bar brackets, even though that was not stock on an FXR. AMCA doesn't judge accessories unless they replace OEM parts.

After that I could start installing the parts I've been working on. License plate holder, passenger seat and its grab strap, and the front seat. I also installed the tank to get a vision of how it all will look, but it hasn't been cut and buffed yet.

The tail light wiring has been repaired once, and the top of the lens is scraped up, so I'm going to look for a better example.

I have what I need to assemble the front fender, but first I need to make a tool to squeeze the rivets in my press.

Reactions: V-STRUM

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
I bought a new tail light assembly with wiring from an 82 FLT for only $20. It was in real good shape, just cleaned and polished it up before installing.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

FLTs are wired a little differently than FXRs, the tail lights are further back so all the wires run back to the tail light, including an extra one for the fender tip light. I removed the fender tip and right turn signal wires from the harness, and cut the sleeve to let the left turn signal wire exit near the light. Ran them in the stock clips and they look good.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

A couple things not done - I didn't connect the turn signal pigtails to the feed wires, because I wasn't sure if there was a connector like on the fender tip wire or if they were direct. The wiring diagram isn't clear. I also didn't install the connector to the front harness until I am sure which way the wires go. The one on the bike was cut off and the wires connected directly so I need to find the other plug. Anyone got one?

Bumper Rectangle Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

I didn't test the lights yet, and not sure how the tail light is grounded, so they may not work until I scrape some paint?

·
Registered
1982 FXRS and 2003 FLHR
43 Posts
Another milestone reached, its looking like a bike now!

After sticking new reflectors on, the top nut removed, and the tube tightened into the lower tree, I used this to help install the top nut:

Snug the top nut, loosen the lower tree nut and tighten the top nut before torquing the lower tree. Install the axle and it’s done! The forks even came with oil.

What is that badass bike in the background?

·
Registered
1982 FXRS and 2003 FLHR
43 Posts
Thanks. Got a friend over and got the fender installed. First tape to prevent scratches:

Then I held it in place while he loosely bolted it in place. We then slipped in NOS sissy bar brackets, even though that was not stock on an FXR. AMCA doesn't judge accessories unless they replace OEM parts.

After that I could start installing the parts I've been working on. License plate holder, passenger seat and its grab strap, and the front seat. I also installed the tank to get a vision of how it all will look, but it hasn't been cut and buffed yet.

The tail light wiring has been repaired once, and the top of the lens is scraped up, so I'm going to look for a better example.

I have what I need to assemble the front fender, but first I need to make a tool to squeeze the rivets in my press.
First a baddass custom in the background of one pic,

First a baddass custom in one pic, now what appears to be a Road King in another...are these friend's bikes, or with your skills are you an indie mechanic and those are customer bikes or are they yours?

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
First a baddass custom in one pic, now what appears to be a Road King in another...are these friend's bikes, or with your skills are you an indie mechanic and those are customer bikes or are they yours?
LOL Not a mechanic, they are mine. It's a much better hobby than job is what my brother the mechanic says. I built the chopper in 2006-2007, it's got a 96" S&S motor in a custom softail frame, lots of fun to ride. The Road King is my two-up and cold weather ride now, the 79 FXS I rebuilt a few years ago is my go-to summer ride.

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Well I think a couple pictures of the RK and chopper wouldn't be off topic for more than a few posts. I have a soft spot for softails and haven't seen one as a chopper.

Sent from a couch potato

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Thanks~ I happen to have all three bikes in one photo, so that won't derail this thread much. LOL

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 · (Edited)
It's been a while but finally got time to cut and buff the gas tank. First remove little bumps, etc, with 600 grit. Tank looked good in pictures, but there were quite a few imperfections:

Then wet sand the whole tank with 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit paper.

Friend came over to hold the tank while I buffed it out. Came out great! I'll wax it tomorrow.

The dash is not in great shape, and the gas gauge had a dent in the bezel. I had saved the one out of my other FXR, and will use that one after cleaning it up.

·
Registered
1982 FXRS and 2003 FLHR
43 Posts
It's been a while but finally got time to cut and buff the gas tank. First remove little bumps, etc, with 600 grit. Tank looked good in pictures, but there were quite a few imperfections:

Then wet sand the whole tank with 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit paper.

Friend came over to hold the tank while I buffed it out. Came out great! I'll wax it tomorrow.

The dash is not in great shape, and the gas gauge had a dent in the bezel. I had saved the one out of my other FXR, and will use that up after cleaning it up.

I've been waiting to see that tank and it sure didn't disappoint! Black isn't just unforgiving...it acts like you owe it money or something and invents flaws to trip you up...looks great. I was gonna ask for some pics of the other bikes, but I got beat to the punch. All 3 are killer rides but that custom is freak'n straight out of a magazine...not one of those reader's rides tiny pics buried at the back, but full on feature. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you've already entered and won a few which is what you definitely need to do with this project when finished.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I actually won my first trophy this summer after 15 years! Honestly, I only entered a few shows when I first built it, and lost to high dollar Bourget and other credit card choppers. Not concerned, I value the trophys I won vintage racing my RD400, as they are not popularity contests.

Just a little work this week. Waxed the tank, and installed the gauge sender and petcock. Had to make a new gasket, nobody sells them. Interestingly the dimensions are metric, 70mm OD and 40mm ID.

Got the highway peg brackets back from powder coat and installed with new chrome supports. Chrome was not good, and I thought black wouldn't stand out as much, since they are just options on the base FXR.

·
Registered
1982 FXRS and 2003 FLHR
43 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I actually won my first trophy this summer after 15 years! Honestly, I only entered a few shows when I first built it, and lost to high dollar Bourget and other credit card choppers. Not concerned, I value the trophys I won vintage racing my RD400, as they are not popularity contests.

Just a little work this week. Waxed the tank, and installed the gauge sender and petcock. Had to make a new gasket, nobody sells them. Interestingly the dimensions are metric, 70mm OD and 40mm ID.

Got the highway peg brackets back from powder coat and installed with new chrome supports. Chrome was not good, and I thought black wouldn't stand out as much, since they are just options on the base FXR.

Do you still have the RD400? This is my 86' 1100 GXXR club/vintage racer I just put back together...sitting with my '82 FXRS and '03 RK. I hope purist can forgive me for slamming the FXR but at least it's done right with adjustable progressive shocks and Forking By Frank forks and tbh, after a couple laps on this Jerry Hall engined GIXXER with ZERO electronic aids after spooning on a set of sticky track day rubber the idea of "harming performance" just doesn't enter the picture. Are you going to do a complete teardown/rebuild on the engine as meticulous as the rest of the build? I've learned...and I'm not even slightly joking...more from this build than the HD Service Manual and the Clymer repair manual thanks to the details you provide where they just say to remove something without any explanation and certainly no decent pics of what I'm supposed to be looking at.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Plant
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Thanks WraithReaver, I'm posting these for fun and so people can learn. Glad I could help you.

Racing the RD was what convinced me to sell my sport bike and stick to Harleys. The thrill of riding a bike on a track couldn't be matched on the road. But I sold it a few years ago. After my riding buddy sold his Ninja 600 we didn't go to any more track days. I put LED lights on it and sold it as a cafe racer. It had a magneto ignition so the lights were constant loss. But enough to pass inspection? Here are a couple of pictures:

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
One more little detail that I am struggling with. The previous owner of my bike did away with the plug and socket for the rear fender wiring and I'm trying to replace them. The FLT tail light I bought came with a socket but it doesn't fit in the hole, the index tab is different. Has anyone got a lead on OEM replacement components? The aftermarket only supplies white ones that are smaller and don't lock into the hole. Here's what I need, plus the mating one:
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
Part numbers are 72037-71 and 72041-71. edit: I got the numbers wrong in my search, there are a bunch on eBay, and I may be able to get them from the dealer.

Meanwhile, I completed the turn signal wiring, splicing inside the housings:

Motor vehicle Revolver Rim Automotive lighting Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel

Success!

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 · (Edited)
As it turns out, the pin connector that I have from the FLT does fit, I just had it backwards. I got a socket connector on ebay for just a few bucks, so I'm all set.

I got my helper over and we finished the front fender. I was very lucky that a local dealer had the last package of ten fender rivets in the country (well maybe not, but they are impossible to find). I ordered pressing dies from Hanson Rivets and built a tool to work with my press. It has to go around the tab on the opposite side, but still press straight on the die.

The rivets are stronger than I thought and bent the tool, so I made another that worked great:

Now all the sheet metal is done!

I found an original aluminum dash in decent shape, so I'll polish and paint that next.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
It was over 60 degrees today, had to go for a ride. When I came back I had only a couple hours so I did a few little things. I got an original starter relay from someone on another forum.

Took it apart and cleaned the contacts with some magic juice:

Polished up the case, looks like new

Installed the relay and the tail light / turn signal connector.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
Here's how the dash looked when I got it:

It has the same part number as the chrome one that the previous owner installed. I wonder how the parts department keeps them straight?

Removed the paint with 120 grit, then sanded everything with 220 grit to get it smooth:

More sanding with 320, 400, 500 and 600 grit wet and dry paper:

Polished on a new wheel with red rouge and white rouge:

Didn't like how it came out, so I buffed it again and it was much better. Then I sprayed it clear, and will let that cure for a few days then mask and spray inserts with Harley Texture paint.

Reactions: Scotty_No1

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's nice work on the dash. Mine is chrome (although I removed it 30 yrs ago and put it in a box). I wasn't aware the motor company ever offered a painted version.

121 - 140 of 158 Posts