V-Twin Forum banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
You're welcome, I enjoy doing it.

It's been a week so time to start cutting and buffing. First up, a little work with 600 grit to remove dirt, orange peel, etc. I spray in my garage, so there is bound to be something.

Then lightly sand with 1000 and 1200 to remove scratch marks. It's looking pretty good so far

Then real lightly with 1500 and 2000 grit and it's ready for polishing. You can see I didn't sand the edges, rivets, etc. Didn't want to take a chance of burning thru.

Did the same with the side covers.

Still have to do the rear fender, maybe tomorrow. Then I'll polish and buff them all.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Had time today to finish the sanding. :) First step the same, remove imperfections with 600 grit:

Then work up to 2000 grit:

When I rinsed off the fender with a garden hose, I saw how nice the paint will look when it's buffed and polished:

I went looking for my polishing pads, and they seemed to have disappeared. New ones coming in soon, but I'll have to wait to finish.

Reactions: V-STRUM

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
While waiting for new polishing pads, I tackled a couple small tasks that can go on the bike now.

Took everything apart and cleaned them up. I was happy how good the seat hinge parts came out, they are hard to find and expensive.

Spent a bunch of time with the electroplating kit. The hinge parts needed three treatments to look even, but they look great!

The original bolts were grade 8 for whatever reason, so I got new ones and bolted the hinge parts on. Somewhere in my parts drawers is the original restraint string and the little part that holds it into the seat. Once that reappears I'll install a new shoelace.

There were flecks of what appeared to be black paint in the release lever but I didn't commit to that yet. Can anyone confirm the part that shows should be black?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The Original Latch had some sort of Rubber coating on it, jut at the end ... like that Stuff from some time back, that ya dipped yer tool handles into...

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
The Original Latch had some sort of Rubber coating on it, jut at the end ... like that Stuff from some time back, that ya dipped yer tool handles into...
That's still on there, maybe hard to see. I'm talking about the rest of the lever that you can see below the seat.

Wife and sister-in-law watching a chick flick, so I hid in the garage for a couple hours and finished these that I picked up a while ago:

Tableware Food Drinkware Liquid Dishware

The wires were cut, but I can use my original sockets and wires when I tackle the wiring.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ditto to RacePres...I believe what you're seeing on the latch is residue from the original plastic dip coating on the end.
I apologize if you already answered this in an earlier post but I'm wondering what tool(s) you're using to do all the sanding and buffing you've done..?

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I have two pictures that show different latches, still not 100% clear what the 82 was, but clearly the latch and hinge changed on the later bikes:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Hood Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Does anyone have a picture of an original 82 or early 83 latch or hinge?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yes... My 1982 was bought off the showroom... by Me
I will get a pic
I guess I never compared the latch to others in the shop.. But I will...Tho some are Not Mine...and I will need to research what is truly "original"
My 1982, and my 1994 are indeed original!!!

BTW... From what I see.. the pic of the FXR is looking just like the Latch handle on my 1982 FXRS
Always wonder about "Total Rebuilds"... Until I see a photo like That One!!!
Good for you for having the "Vision"... I Pass on them ones!!!

One more edit; I have never seen a latch like pictured in the second Shot... But, I certainly have Not seen it All

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I'm going to look at more internet pictures and maybe try to find a sales brochure to see if that sheds any light. I don't recall any pictures where the latch handle stood out, nor the seat half of the hinge, so maybe they gave them a quick swipe of black paint to blend in.

The original handlebars were in decent shape, so I polished them on the wheel with stainless compound. Right side done, left side just cleaned with chrome polish.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part

This is how the bike looks now. The seat is in a bag on the shelf.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Apparently there are at least three versions of this latch, and of the hinge. Here's a latch like mine on eBay, says it came off an 84. There is a possibility that the seat on my bike came off an FXRT, because the previous owner was using the gigantic passenger seat and sissy bar from the T for his wife's comfort. The bike also came with a one-piece seat from unknown sources.

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Nut

Another guy on eBay is selling this one off his 82 FXR, the rubber extends further up the lever. I wonder if it's just the person doing the dipping, or was there a design change?

Auto part Metal Tints and shades Wood Household hardware

Then there is this style, which appears in many auctions, including a 1990. Harley must have realized paint is cheaper than rubber?

Auto part Nickel Metal Household hardware Fashion accessory

The hinges seem to match the latches, either painted black or natural. The pins on mine are shorter than all the ones I have seen on eBay, and doesn't have a place for the center part. The newer ones mount to studs with nuts, not bolts like other years.

Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Hardwood Landscape

What this all boils down to is I'm leaving my latch and hinge just the way they are.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Today was another big day, buffed and polished the fenders and side covers. Used Meguire's Mirror Glaze Fine-Cut Cleaner on a wool pad to polish out the 2000 grit sanding scratches.

Then their Swirl Remover on a foam pad to get rid of the slight haze from the compound. You can see the difference here:

Took a couple hours all together, but definitely worth it!

I still have to wait a couple more weeks before waxing, and then installation on the bike can begin!

Reactions: FXR2 and Alan S
101 - 112 of 112 Posts