V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Question for you guys about replacing the cleave blocks. They look good, don't move if I pry the center with a 12" extension, and the swingarm pivot fits tightly. Is it worth the trouble for a bike that won't be ridden hard? Thanks

·
FOAD
401 Posts
I think only you can make that decision to replace or not but if they look good and no movement then they are possibly ok but it's the internet you could get 10 different opinions.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks, I suspect the Drag replacements are made in China as well.

Reactions: Scotty_No1

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Instead of clear paint on the misc nuts and bolts, I decided to try the Eastwood electroplating kit. Their stuff is usually pretty good, but I got a 3v charger to replace the two D-cells it comes with. A little cutting and soldering on the adapter they included with the charger, and I'm in business.

They recommend a few test runs to get the timing right, so I cleaned off a few rusty bolts and gave it a shot:

Three minutes later:

The gunk cleans off with water. Seemed like too much so I did 2 min and 1-1/2 min. This is how they looked after polishing. Two minutes seemed best to me.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
First real part was the washer for the front motor mount:

A few hours later, my box of bolts was all plated, but not polished:

I took them inside to hand polish - it was getting too warm in the garage. Got halfway and wasn't convinced the plating was right. Then I got to this bolt that had some copper stains on it before plating, and still does! Maybe I should have cooked it longer? Waiting to hear back from Eastwood, but the instructions did say 3-4 minutes for a typical bolt.

Does anyone have experience plating? What do you suggest that I do better? Thanks

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As usual, operator error caused my problem, although I can put some blame on Eastwood. I put the copper stained bolt back in the tank for another three minutes and then rubbed it with the polish that Eastwood provided to remove the dull grey coating. Still didn’t cover the copper! So I put it in for another three minutes, but this time just rubbed it with a dry cloth and that did the trick!

You can see the color difference on another bolt next to its washer and nut. I re-plated the bolt and thick washer, polishing it with a dry cloth. The nut and thin washer were polished with the creme and it removed the plating.

I got half of them done today, I’ll finish tomorrow. The black parts came out good too. Can’t wait to start assembly!

Reactions: V-STRUM

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Lots of progress today. First I finished plating the bolts, had a good system of cleaning, plating and rubbing so it didn't take as long, even with a good 3-5+ minutes in the plating bath. Unfortunately I discovered a problem when I forgot about a couple small bolts that were sitting on a wet towel and actually got slightly rusty looking! Apparently this finish is porous, and lets the water thru? The directions say to follow up plating with their clear paint for "best long-term durability", so I gave them a shot of TEC clear. So I guess this all amounts to an expensive and time-consuming silver paint?

The next thing was to replace the shift pawl in the transmission and install the sprocket. I was never truly happy with the way it shifted by hand, but figured it would be better with in the bike with the motor running. I read on another forum a worn pawl would cause that, so I got a NOS pawl and went about changing it. You can see the difference between the two:

With the top cover off, it was easy to put the trans in two gears to tighten the sprocket nut. I took a lot of time cleaning the threads, because they felt tight and are such a fine thread. Here it is before I bent the lock washer. That washer is obsolete, but lucky for me the local dealer still had three in stock.

Lastly, I used my newly plated and painted bolts to install the motor mount to the transmission. Nothing left to do but start reassembling the bike!

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Question for the experts. Is this the correct tank decal for an 82 FXR? The bike has been repainted, so I'm not certain the right ones are on the tank. They are available with and without the black pinstripe, and also reverse colors. Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I do find that particulate tank decal in one of my HD books, though I cannot say whether it is for an '82 or '83. I only see it with the matching pinstripe on the tank. Black pinstripe would be hard to see on that tank.

(I am not an expert).

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
To Eastwood's benefit, they responded with this:

I believe the issue here is the battery being used. It is not powerful enough to plate these items. A single, fresh 1.5 Volt D Cell battery is capable of providing up to 6.5 amps of current for a short while, 2 in series as in this kit will produce 3 volts still at 6.5 amps at a longer duration. The phone charger being used is only supplying 1 amp which is insufficient.

I'll have to find a better power supply.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
309 Posts
If you google 1982 FXR images you will find a lot with that decal with and without pinstripes. I also found this enthusiast magazine on e bay and the center fold picture has the same decal. So I would say yes it is correct.
While looking for you I found the summer 1986 Enthusiast that had my 1986 FXRSC on the cover. The day I got it in the mail back in June of 86 I seen the bike and called my dealer and he told me he had #3 of 1250 built. I bought it the next day and still have it.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes there are a lot of them out there, some even with the bar and shield decal. Rick at Rick's Decals thinks it's correct, so that's what I'll get. Unfortunately his don't have the circled R, and the online fiche doesn't show them available. I may call the dealer just on the off chance they still make them with the R.

Meanwhile, my little task for today. It's a FIAMM Highway Blaster - not original, but loud :)

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Today was a major milestone, I started assembly!

First up, fit the swingarm to the transmission. One would think it would slide back where it was, but I had to spread the cleve blocks 1/8" to make room. There is a Harley special tool, but a long carriage bolt, nut and washers works just fine.

Slide the pivot in from the left, and install the plastic washers and new rubber mounts. Both nuts get installed loosely for now.

Install the caps, with the locating pins forward. Tighten and torque all the nuts and add the bling. The bike is so happy, the swing arm stays up by itself!

Next up, install the shocks. I just snugged the upper bolts because they will come out again when I install the fender struts.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was happy to loosely install the front mount assembly with all my shiny hardware. New motor links are on backorder, but should arrive in a couple weeks. That'll all get tightened near the end when I align the drive train.

Then came the axle, horn and muffler mount. I also got new wellnuts for the side covers and oil tank.

Even an new pin for the jiffy stand

It's starting to look like a bike now!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts