V-Twin Forum banner
301 - 307 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here's the weird part, each pin socket on the stator measures 1 ohm to the primary case! I would think it should be infinity?
I don’t know if this is solved, but any resistance reading to ground other than infinity on either stator pin when both are disconnected from regulator/rectifier indicates a current path that should not be present. Sometimes this is caused by an internal short, but it’s also possible that a bare spot on one or both wires or the plug can be shorting to the primary case.

Your work on this motorcycle is far beyond my capabilities and level of commitment. Congratulations on a beautiful result!

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
I’m back! Lots of things got done around the house and the work bench cleaned up, haha.

I fixed the two easiest deductions. The new HD spark plug wires came in yesterday, that was half a point:

Automotive fuel system Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

One quarter point for moving the throttle cable clamp to the tank from the triple tree:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motorcycle

I’m not going to get to the charging system for a while, probably a winter project, something to do in the new house. It is probably a pinched wire but was careful assembling it. I'll give it a good looking-over.

Reactions: hillcat and V-STRUM

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good to see you're finally getting that mess straightened out, Joe.
I don't know how you've been able to look at yourself in the mirror. 😳
This has been such a great thread. If you're gonna be doing anything else, let us know please.
Enjoy your NEW bike..!!

301 - 307 of 307 Posts