V-Twin Forum banner
281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
I had a little trouble with the exhaust pipes, but after a couple hours fiddling with them, they are on. The trick was to push the crossover together as far as possible then offer the pipes to the motor. They went on fairly easily from there.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Timed the ignition and set it up with multi-spark and advance curve 4 out of 9. Rev limiter set at 5000 for now.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

Re-installed the gas tank and put in half a gallon to check for leaks. Had a massive leak, and realized I forgot the crossover hose. All good now, put in another half gallon.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Here's the moment we've all been waiting for:

FXR First Run

I have to re-adjust the valves, but it started right up and doesn't leak! A couple of k-sneezes but kept on running. Seems a little sluggish so maybe a little more aggressive advance curve is needed. I am letting it cool off to adjust the valves, and will fiddle with timing and carb tuning. Idle mixture 1 1/2 turns out, idles at 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Adjusted the valves, turned the advance up to 6, checked the base and head bolts, then let it run for a while. Much better!

FXR Walkaround

But some oil leaks showed up. Had to tighten the oil crossover line in the heads, and one of the pushrod tubes leaks at the lifter block. It's too hot to fix that now. But all in all a successful night! Tomorrow will be the shakedown runs :D

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Added helicoils to the frame for the left footpeg mount. I used the mount as a drill/tap fixture to ensure they were straight and parallel. I glued the inserts with red loctite, I will install the correct chrome 5/16" fine thread bolts tomorrow. Looks like I have to clean up the hylomar from the primary cover too, haha.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive design Bicycle part

Installed the mirrors I borrowed from Ralph, they have the '83 curved stem but are better than aftermarket. Also put the footpegs in the mounts, and installed the NOS heat shields. The front one is not NOS and it looks short, but is correct as far as I can tell.

Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel Automotive fuel system

Couple more glamour shots, it's almost done! Tomorrow will be a busy day with little things. I will be putting on about 50 break-in miles so I can change the oil then at least 50 more before riding to Greenfield on Saturday.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
This has been a great thread to follow, thanks for posting all this stuff! You do great some really nice work and the bike came out fantastic, looking forward to seeing it the show on Saturday!

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
Thanks for all the complements.

I thought about this a while, and changed the jets to 72/175 for break-in, I thought it would help keep the motor cooler.

I took it out on the road today, two 10 mile runs, and a 30 mile run! Looks good in it's native habitat, the lot where they are building my new house:

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Here's a ride-by video:

FXR Ride-by

However not all was good.

Noticed the headlight wasn't very bright, measured the battery when I got home and it was 12.7v with the motor running. I did some simple tests, but can't say what is wrong. Regulator body has 0 ohms to motor ground, so that's good. The stator puts out 19 to 30+V across the two pin sockets when running, so that's good. Here's the weird part, each pin socket on the stator measures 1 ohm to the primary case! I would think it should be infinity? How is that possible with 30v across the pins? The regulator pins had different ohm readings depending on polarity, what are they supposed to read?

The bike ran OK, but it would miss at steady throttle or decelerating. OK when accelerating. Sometimes it would stall when coming to a stop or struggle to keep running. It got worse as the ride went on, so maybe it's just the battery?

This is what it sounds like now, this can't be the usual k-sneeze. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/bF3YJEdAnTU

Since it's midnight and my brother is riding up here tomorrow, I will load the bikes on my trailer and bring them up to the hotel. I can ride to the show on battery power alone, but won't go on the ride they have planned. I just need to show the judges that it runs, so I can still have it judged on Sunday.

Here is why you change the oil and filter after 50 miles. Poured this oil out of the filter:

Liquid Plant Fluid Drink Solution

I will change it again after we return from the show.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm sure there are a LOT of folks who know more than I do. I'm old enough to not care if I'm found to be wrong but learn something in the process so I'll toss this out there anyhow.
When you're not getting the voltage at the battery you should be getting while the motor is running, IIRC...other than making sure the regulator is well grounded to the mount...there's no direct test for it. IF the battery is good...by load test, ( I NEVER assume a new battery is good btw. That assumption burnt me once) and the stator is good, by output test, and ground test ( as you've done) then the regulator is bad..."by default".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Plus one to Guido4198 on the regulator test procedure. Have used this procedure three times to diagnose, then replace a faulty regulator, worked each time.
Thanks for sharing all of this with us here, it's been great to see your' hard, meticulous work, and your' bikes progress. WELL DONE! Wish you well in the judging!
Best regards, Dean

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It was a great time! I couldn't find Joe Shovel's FXR or V-SRUM but it was a big event. I will post my pics after we hear from Joe Shovel.

Hillcat, I was there Sat. & Sun. I had my FXR in the ride in show section section to save the $5 cover charge. It may have been hard to see since it's usually surrounded by people, most who are pointing and laughing. Haha. I looked around for your bike, didn't see it. Sunday I was on the Beemer.

Joe and his FXR we're there on Sunday. I found it as the judges where checking it out, and from what I could hear they really liked it. I'll let him post before I put up some. Joe's a great guy too.

It was a great show, the amount of really nice old bikes was overwhelming, sensory overload. I never saw so many Vincents in one place.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Hillcat, I was there Sat. & Sun. I had my FXR in the ride in show section section to save the $5 cover charge. It may have been hard to see since it's usually surrounded by people, most who are pointing and laughing. Haha. I looked around for your bike, didn't see it. Sunday I was on the Beemer.

Joe and his FXR we're there on Sunday. I found it as the judges where checking it out, and from what I could hear they really liked it. I'll let him post before I put up some. Joe's a great guy too.

It was a great show, the amount of really nice old bikes was overwhelming, sensory overload. I never saw so many Vincents in one place.
oh crap... I'm a dope. I was just looking at some of my pics and I think I could owe you an apology. Looking at this Indian, I noticed what appears to be your FXR in the background. DOH! :confused:
Like you said, it was big time sensory overload.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
@V-STRUM , it was great meeting you too; and I am sorry I didn't see you @hillcat , maybe next year!

I am very happy to report the judges really liked my bike! Only found a few faults, scored 98.5 points! Got both Junior awards, and enough points for Senior and Winners Circle in the future.

Handwriting Font Red Material property Circle

I can easily correct two half-point deductions by fixing the upside-down front muffler clamp and missing heat shield; and getting HD plug wires. The throttle cable guide needs to move from the upper triple tree to the gas tank mounting bolt for another 1/4 point. They noted scratches on the outer primary but didn't deduct anything. I'm on the lookout for an better one, and when I get it I'll fix the charging system too. The last 1/4 point is for the plug on the idle mixture screw, and if I get the bike running perfectly I'll have my brother turn something on his lathe.

Here is my bike in the judging area:

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

And here are some of the judges deliberating after the inspection.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Thanks to all who followed along and offered so much valuable advice. All in all it was a great experience, even with two weeks or more of 10-12 hour days to finish it on time, and I had to trailer it up. But that turned out for the best, because my brother bought these two very original 1960's Triumph bicycles he's going to clean up and ride with his wife:

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
A score of 98.5 sounds awesome to me! Here's Joe's bikes being scrutinized by the judges. The bike came out beautiful, it looks like it did when it was sitting on the showroom floor 40 years ago. Congrats Joe on job well done, and thanks for documenting in this thread.

Hillcat - yes that's my bike parked behind the Indian.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Clothing Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Congratulations Joe Shovel! It looks awesome. Sometimes a deadline sucks but it gets it done.
V-STRUM, we'll meet in person someday. That's not meant as a threat... :LOL:

I will start a Greenfield bike show/swap meet thread with my pics. If anyone else has pics please add them in.

EDIT: I wasn't sure where to start the thread but I put it over in "Regional Events"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congratulations on scoring 98 1/2 on the judging! You worked hard to get the bike there, and the judges recognized that. Once more, thanks for taking us all along for the journey through your' restoration.
Best Regards, Dean

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
@V-STRUM thanks for posting those, I didn't get a chance to take pictures then.

I was not nervous but high anxiety was how I felt. The judges started out by complementing me on how good it looked and where did I find one with only 50 miles? I had to remind them it was a restoration not original, and they were NOS instruments. That made me feel like it was going to be a good experience.

Again, I thank all of you who followed along and offered advice.

Here are a few pictures of the last minute thrash that I didn't have time to post. The ham can backing plate is attached to the motor by three big brackets. One to each rocker box and one to the middle crankcase bolt. I assembled it three times to get everything lined up right and the bolts loctited. The three bolts to the carb are supposed to be drilled hex head bolts, but allen heads are easier to drill.

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Tire Wheel Automotive lighting

I wound up buying three ham cans to get one in excellent condition. The washers behind the mounting screws have rubber ones behind them. I had to trim hardware store rubber washers to match.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle Hood

The timing seemed good, so I did pop-rivet the cover in place.

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle

The VIN and GVWR sticker is reproduced by Rick's decals but he doesn't type your info on it. My mother still had this electric typewriter from when she was working, and it did the trick. I had to go over what I typed 5 or 6 times, but it came out OK. Font isn't correct but the judges didn't seem to notice or mind.

Font Office equipment Gas Office supplies Wing

I try to put my tools away every night or two, but this is what my workbench looked like Friday night!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Bicycle handlebar

I'll be taking a break from this for a while, had put a lot of things on the back burner that need doing.

281 - 300 of 307 Posts