V-Twin Forum banner
261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
It's the small stuff that kills you in the end! For instance, I lubed up the clutch and throttle cables, but need a new idle cable because the end on this one is broken off. There was a screw-on repair barrel but who knows where that ended up?

Someone gave me this tool and even though it still makes a mess, lube was coming out the other end in mere seconds. Didn't fit the clutch cable so that is hanging on the vice until tomorrow.

Liquid Automotive tire Bottle Water bottle Fluid

All my other bikes front master cylinder was horizontal on the jiffy stand, but this bike stands up straighter, so I had to remove it. Took a little longer to fill both calipers, but there is a nice firm lever after the tiny bubbles were cleared.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part

I think the cover screws are supposed to be black, aren't they? Phillips or Allen head?

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 · (Edited)
Marty will be tired of reading this, he's seen it in two other forums, but for those reading along here:

The parts books tell an interesting story. I have one for 82 FXRs and it says they are part #2401, the one for 82 & 83 FXRs says #2579 and Harley's online parts system says #2579A. JWBoon gives good descriptions of each part number, and I use that a lot even if I can't buy from them easily. #2401 is a zinc plated #10 posidrive screw, #2597 is a zinc #8 posidrive screw, and #2579A is a black #8 posidrive screw. Since the online system only gives the most current version, it can't be relied upon for originality, but it does help find parts at the dealer. The screws I have are #8 zinc plated posidrive, which does check out so I'm keeping them.

This is the kind of research I've been doing all along, it's tedious but rewarding. Even if the books are not correct 100% of the time, having documentation will help w the judges.

Reactions: meandean4570

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
On another forum, Marty and I realized we were talking about different screws. Confusion solved, zinc phillips are correct.

Today I had to do a lot of running around town, so late start. But I did polish and install the outer primary and shift lever. Tomorrow I'll have to go to the store for more bolts.

Land vehicle Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Here's why I should have done this a month ago, so I would have had time to find a better one. It'll have to do, and at least it's shiny.

Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

I wanted to install the footpeg and call this side of the bike Finished, but I guess the previous owner couldn't make the bolts fit so he just ground the heads?

Automotive tire Finger Bumper Gas Auto part

One more glamour shot, because I can.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
So after dinner I went out and polished and installed the clutch and throttle cables. My local shop came thru with a take-off idle cable that matched. I need a new clamp for the throttle cables, but the clutch fits into clips welded to the frame. I think those black clutch springs are heavy duty and I can get away with standard blue ones for easier lever pull.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looking like a real motorcycle, Joe..!!
After all the really MAJOR things you've accomplished, it does sound like those "little things" really add up as you get close to showtime. So many small details...wow.
Looking at your latest pictures, I find myself curious. I hope you don't mind the questions.
Are the mirrors you have on the bike correct for '82 ? The picture looks like that left hand mirror has the black rubber that the motor company didn't start using 'til later.
What are you using for plug wires ? Yours look like aftermarket, based upon the shape of the boots on the plugs.
This has been quite a journey. Thanks again for letting us share it with you.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
I hope to make it this weekend!

No problem with questions, the more eyes on it the better. As far as mirrors, they are aftermarket. I couldn't find correct OEM mirrors, maybe there will be some at the swap meet Saturday. The plug wires are also aftermarket. I hope to get some OEM from the dealer as well as plugs.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I hope to make it this weekend!

No problem with questions, the more eyes on it the better. As far as mirrors, they are aftermarket. I couldn't find correct OEM mirrors, maybe there will be some at the swap meet Saturday. The plug wires are also aftermarket. I hope to get some OEM from the dealer as well as plugs.
I don't remember you asking about those things??

IMHO; MoCo Specialty LTR mirrors would be better than Chiwanese!!!
at least they are MoCo, and Period Correct... Hated on the Internet however..

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Good point @Racepres I have to go to the dealer tomorrow or Friday for OEM spark plugs and wires, maybe they have something in the correct style. If not maybe the swap meet Saturday

Installed the pushrods today. I was waiting for new covers, but what came in was only the top setup. Lucky my FXS is apart and the lower tubes on that one are in pretty good shape. I learned there is a difference in diameter between the ones with steel upper tubes and aluminum, can't mix them.

Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Wrench Kitchen utensil

I adjust one valve when it's mate on the other cylinder is fully open, then rotate the motor and do the next. Much easier when doing it alone. Even easier if there is a kickstarter, lol.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Beautiful shovelhead motor:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Earlier, I cleaned up the original exhaust pipes that came with the bike. The chrome under the heat shields is blue and has rust spots, but the part you see isn't bad. I have new heat shields and mufflers that will dress it up nicely. I would have installed them tonight but my tube of Ultra Black RTV was dried up. Maybe next winter I'll have them re-chromed.

Bicycle part Tire Composite material Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part

I have these special washers for the exhaust bolts that claim won't come loose. Not correct but a worthy improvement.

Font Material property Transparency Automotive tire Plastic wrap

Unless something goes wrong, I will start it up tomorrow! Hopefully go for a ride too.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
^^^ I am amazed you have a Stock Crossover headpipe!!! I went thru 2 in a very few years... Maybe my engine is Not balanced as well as that one???
If it was me.. I would remove the mounting hardware on that stupid Donut, to Ride it... even leave it loose but Loctited... trying to Save that pipe... They are Weak... Both of mine failed at the Crossover junctions..
Currently I run good ole FXS headpipe.. I kinda remember some Mods to the rear pipe Support... But that was a long time ago...

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I don't remember you asking about those things??

IMHO; MoCo Specialty LTR mirrors would be better than Chiwanese!!!
at least they are MoCo, and Period Correct... Hated on the Internet however..
HaHa! There is a reason that LTR stuff is "hated" and it's expressed on the interwebs.
If he puts that stuff on there the judges will raise eyebrows and blacklist him from any future events.

Joe Shovel, I'm gonna try to go to the event and be there around noon on Sat.
I think a couple of friends will be there, one with a nice '65 pan and the other a 47(?) Indian.
What things are you looking for? Mirrors, plugs and wires? I can check my stash.
Free admission if you show up on a bike 35 years or older. Mine is 32 so I have to pay the reasonable $5 admission.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 · (Edited)
^^^ I am amazed you have a Stock Crossover headpipe!!! I went thru 2 in a very few years... Maybe my engine is Not balanced as well as that one???
If it was me.. I would remove the mounting hardware on that stupid Donut, to Ride it... even leave it loose but Loctited... trying to Save that pipe... They are Weak... Both of mine failed at the Crossover junctions..
Currently I run good ole FXS headpipe.. I kinda remember some Mods to the rear pipe Support... But that was a long time ago...
I am trying to find the two clamps that hold the pipes to the motor and trans. Dynas still use them but dealer doesn't stock any.

HaHa! There is a reason that LTR stuff is "hated" and it's expressed on the interwebs.
If he puts that stuff on there the judges will raise eyebrows and blacklist him from any future events.

Joe Shovel, I'm gonna try to go to the event and be there around noon on Sat.
I think a couple of friends will be there, one with a nice '65 pan and the other a 47(?) Indian.
What things are you looking for? Mirrors, plugs and wires? I can check my stash.
Free admission if you show up on a bike 35 years or older. Mine is 32 so I have to pay the reasonable $5 admission.
Yes, please look, thanks. Mirrors are the biggest problem visually. Harley doesn't make 5RL plugs any more, and the dealer doesn't have the cables in stock, but will have them next week. I am also aiming for noon Saturday, see you then regardless.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Only if the Judge got his Harley, After that stuff was Long Since Introduced..
Like the Hate for AMF... Haters are Conditioned by ??? Them that Hate, and are Most Vocal in the Interweb!!
Like AMF... LTR and other goofy slogans, were what kept the MoCo Alive...
What a Terrible Thing!!!

Edit; If I can Find out When that LTR appeared... I have a Plan
anyone remember the year?? Yea... Mid '80's but... When

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
A friend of mine let me borrow two HD mirrors. They are the curved stem versions, not used until later 82, but better than aftermarket.

261 - 280 of 307 Posts