V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick up an fxe over the summer the speedometer didnt work now that Ive taken it apart there was no cable and I cant find where it plugs into the trains. is there a pic showing where?

thanks

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Pick up an fxe over the summer the speedometer didnt work now that Ive taken it apart there was no cable and I cant find where it plugs into the trains. is there a pic showing where?

thanks
Welcome to the Forum!

I believe the FXE speedometer was driven off the front wheel. There should be a "gear box" around the front axle. A lever that drove the unit was usually stuck into a slot on the brake disk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the manual says to remove the cable before pulling the trains but there is no pic. The trains was rebuild a couple of years ago why they would not replace the cable I don't know. Ive seen the front wheel speedo drives this does not have one. Always thought that would be a problem with the cable going from the frame to the front axle.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
the manual says to remove the cable before pulling the trains but there is no pic. The trains was rebuild a couple of years ago why they would not replace the cable I don't know. Ive seen the front wheel speedo drives this does not have one. Always thought that would be a problem with the cable going from the frame to the front axle.
Here is a photo of a 1980 FXE. You can see the black speedometer cable running from the speedometer to the (right side) front axle. Perhaps a previous owner tried to "clean up" the front end and removed the speedometer drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm real sure that the 80 FEXF runs off of the front wheel .... I know my 79 FXEF does and it has a 79 and a half ( mid year model ) trans in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts