V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a oppurtunity to buy a 1964 FLH ( Panhead ), from the original owner, the bike is all original, and only has 8900 original miles on it. It's not in bad shape, it has some surfae rust on the chrome, would need new paint, and he said it was still running back in 2003, and has sit in his garage since, but does not currently run. He's wanting $10,000 for it, and I'm just not sure if I should do it or not, so if some of you guys don't mind giving me your honest opinion on whether that's a fair deal or not, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I do buy it, I'm not looking to make a profit, ( I'd keep it ) but I don't want to give way too much for it either. Thanks in advance.

·
1991 Heritage/2004 Ultra
40 Posts
I have a oppurtunity to buy a 1964 FLH ( Panhead ), from the original owner, the bike is all original, and only has 8900 original miles on it. It's not in bad shape, it has some surfae rust on the chrome, would need new paint, and he said it was still running back in 2003, and has sit in his garage since, but does not currently run. He's wanting $10,000 for it, and I'm just not sure if I should do it or not, so if some of you guys don't mind giving me your honest opinion on whether that's a fair deal or not, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I do buy it, I'm not looking to make a profit, ( I'd keep it ) but I don't want to give way too much for it either. Thanks in advance.
I can't see giving that much for it, as you described it. 10K might be a good price for a good running recently rebuilt and painted pan. As described, I wouldn't give a dime over 5-6K for it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would not buy it if I were you but would you mind telling me just where it is so I can just go look at it....................................................And get it for myself instead!!!!!!!!!

·
1991 Heritage/2004 Ultra
40 Posts
I would not buy it if I were you but would you mind telling me just where it is so I can just go look at it....................................................And get it for myself instead!!!!!!!!!
If you would give 10k for a rusted, non running pan, I need to go find you one so I can make a good profit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would offer him $4500-$5000 cash and let him see it.By the time you get it in shape and running good will take at least another 5-7k.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Personally I wouldnt give 5 dollars for that loose sloppy POS.
Yeah yeah I know it has historical value and some people like that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Personally I wouldnt give 5 dollars for that loose sloppy POS.
Yeah yeah I know it has historical value and some people like that.
Man Pans are like Shovelheads.100times better than any new bike.And with proper care handle just as good,run great and have a sound and feel like no other bike ever.But the young newbies could never understand or be able to maintain or ride a REAL bike that cant be hauled to the DEALER to be fixed.

Sorry for the rant but this got under my skin

·
Registered
968 Posts
Seems a little high priced........have any pics?
As ftwflh1 mentioned.....you'll have to be mechanically inclined, and handy with the wrench. Might be a good project bike for you, if you can get it $5-6K....
I rode a '65 for 18 yrs......

·
Registered
75 Posts
10K is market value. From your description, w/o pics, it might be worth it if you're into old iron. Scout e-bay, walnecks, craigs list etc. and see what I mean. Give it a good once over twice, check the paper, vin, belly numbers, damage like broken fins etc, that may lower it's value. 10K is a lot for a pan motor in an all aftermarket bike. Depends what you mean by 'mostly original'.
EDIT: Just reread your post…original owner, all original. Worth it.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
It is going to really depend on your negotiating skills.
10k is on the high end of a pretty clean pan. Try offering 5k and negotiate from there. Good luck getting it, and good luck getting it running.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I say buy it. If you don't, someone else will happily pay 10K for it.
@gree: If 10K isn't a problem and you like the bike enough, do it!
Can you post some photos? People on here may be able to give you a more informed opinion.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Man Pans are like Shovelheads.100times better than any new bike.
Oh yeah and I'll have what ever you been smoking....

Pans and Shovels are JUNK. Historical value, yes. But if it is OEM you will undoubtably have to restore it. It will be cool, but compared to the 2012 FLH it is JUNK...

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I would wave 8,000 under his nose. If he is the first owner and the bike is un-molested- that is not that common

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you would give 10k for a rusted, non running pan, I need to go find you one so I can make a good profit.
Ha ha funny. It was a joke. But if ya wanna go out of your way I am looking for a nice island too. IM me when (enter sarcasm here) you find one and I will pay you cash!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh yeah and I'll have what ever you been smoking....

Pans and Shovels are JUNK. Historical value, yes. But if it is OEM you will undoubtably have to restore it. It will be cool, but compared to the 2012 FLH it is JUNK...
Dont start.You know these new bike will never make the 20yrs on the road mark let alone the 50yr.The electrics alone wont last.
The old basic bikes can last for ever.
MOst these new ones will never see the miles my Shovel has.How many Twinkies have over 200k and turn heads every where you go.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Dont start.You know these new bike will never make the 20yrs on the road mark let alone the 50yr.The electrics alone wont last.
The old basic bikes can last for ever.
MOst these new ones will never see the miles my Shovel has.How many Twinkies have over 200k and turn heads every where you go.
Your sarcasm is noted!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
549 Posts
Buy it

:woohoo:
IF THIS BIKE IS AS YOU DISCRIBED ALL ORIGINAL.....LOW MILES, BUY IT ! IF IT WAS 1 YEAR NEWER 1965 IT WOULD BE WORTH $15-20 1964 LAST YEAR HARLEY USED A 6 VOLT ELEC SYSTEM.... AND LAST YEAR FOR A KICK START ONLY

ITS A 1964.... OLD MAKES IT
KOOL

HOW ABOUT A PIC IF YOU REPAINT IT YOU JUST RUINED IT AN OLD HARLEY IS WORTH MORE WITH A RATTY ORIG FACTORY PAINT JOB THEN A YUPPIE NEW SHINY ONE DONT LISTEN TO GUYS ON THIS POST....THEY KNOW LESS THEN YOU !

I have a nice stable of old bikes 14 and none newer then 1968

1 - 20 of 39 Posts