V-Twin Forum banner

1963 Harley 165?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JimmyK 
#1 ·
When I was in high school a lot of years ago, one of my friends had what i remember as a Harley 165 and I think it was a 1963 model. It was red and had full fenders like a full-size bike. Can anyone tell me what this bike might have been, as far as model, name, etc.? I'm having trouble finding anything on the Internet based on what I think I remember. This would have been about 1967-8 and I remember his dream bike at that time was an XLCH. I lost touch with him, but I hope he got his dream.

#2 ·
If your friends bike was actually a '63 it would have been either Tango Red or Hi-Fi Red metallic.
The 165cc's were two-stroke engines and you had to mix your gas with oil via a measuring cup located on the underside of the gas cap.
As you might imagine they were low power machines,but what they lacked in performance they more than made up for in "fun times".
I had several of the 125's, a '48,'49 and a '52.
The '52 was bored .0020" and I thought it was a real screamer back then.
I learned to ride on these machines, which I think was a real benefit, before I got my first
XLCH, a 1961.
If you want more info. let me know and I'll see what I can dredge up.

#3 ·
Lightweights, single, 3 speed:
BT Pacer Street, 175cc, (824), $485
BTU Pacer, 165cc, w/restricted intake, (5hp limit), (39), $485
BTH Scat Trail, 175cc, (877), $495

Toppers, 165cc single, automatic transmission, (), $460
AH Topper Scooter, (972)
AU Topper Scooter w/restricted intake, (5hp limit), (6)

Good history info here ~~>

http://www.iusb.edu/~bbryner/hrlypage.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.