V-Twin Forum banner

1951 Frame Swap

12K views 89 replies 14 participants last post by  FishinFather 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I picked up this Pan last year, 52 motor in a ? Swingarm frame. Yeah, 52 is supposed to be rigid frame but it's a PAN that runs with all HD parts otherwise. Wide glide with 16" wheel & banana caliper, juice brake in rear. Prev owner had for 34 years. It came with an extra 21" mini spool rim and another 21" rim, 2 seats, a front fender and a set of 16" apes (has 14's)

Maybe I'll find a rigid frame for it or just ride it and leave it alone and get another rigid project.

This was the day I loaded it in my van Mothers Day 2015

After cleaning the Linkert and tank, and a tuneup, it's a one kick bike. I immediately start racking up miles

I put on a new front tire and added a sissybar. Still putting on more miles

Bringing the 21" to the shop, wanna try it out.

New 21" Avon Speedmaster, just a bit skinnier than the wheelbarrow tire. Rides much smoother and turns better.

On the road in Maine. Almost 3000mi in my first 4 months of ownership

Pleated seat thanks Craigslist guy in RI

Threw on the front fender. Don't like it.

Uh oh...it's now September and there is trouble in Pan Paradise. Was out for an all day ride and was rollin down the hwy doin 75 on my way to see my mechanic I call Motor Jesus

Uh oh........losin power on this long uphill grade.........
Uh oh........lost a lot of power and now I'm riding a single cylinder bike......crap! What the hell........I'm just gonna ride it out till it dies....no mechanical noises just running on 1 cylinder how bad could it be??

I put my chin on the tank to streamline myself hahaha and I manage a respectable 39mph. Little cloud of smoke behind me and got some curious looks from the cars blowin by me at 70 but I was determined not to walk. Only like 8 miles to go hahahha

I pulled up Motor Jesus's driveway and he was there shaking his head. "That don't sound good" I left it running and hopped off. I was amazed that it idled at all. There was some oil around the front cylinder but not too much else to see. I shut it down and pulled the front plug, it was dripping with oil. Put a thumb over the plug hole and kicked it over....no compression. She's all done. Was gonna do a top end over the winter but winter came early I guess.

Thats a big hole

TRW pistons from the last rebuild back in the 80's

Rods don't spin crank too smoothly

The motor's going to get a top and bottom rebuild. Cylinders are pristine @.020 over and the rockers are perfect so some $$ saved there.

I was at Motor Jesus's shop checking progress and lo and behold there is a Santee Big Twin replica straight leg frame sitting there.

Motor Jesus knew I had this on my mind so the timing is perfect. A deal was struck and when the motors done it's going in the rigid frame, along with all other parts off the swingarm frame that will be compatible. Just gotta get some tins.

So that's my 52 project at the moment. I look forward to it's ressurection this Spring

See less See more
#7 ·
that hole in the top of that piston would make my hart sink, that is a game changer

#10 ·
It's a head scratcher......no knock no nothing just a "uh oh losing power oh crap it's 1/2 gone"

Cranks' a little tight. Motor Jesus seems to think the bottom end may have contributed to the failure. The piston certainly suffered mightily from some hi heat trauma but what do I know, I just ride em' and break em'

#12 ·
Not that it matters, but it looks like you put the front fender on backwards.
Always thought the long part went behind the forks, to help protect the engine.

#14 ·
a manifold leak could have caused one cylinder to lean out causing the meltdown

#16 ·
The manifold leak is probably the culprit, as mentioned above, and will probably be corrected in the repair. After about fifteen miles of normal riding pull the plugs and take a look. The white part of the spark plug should be brown like coffee stained. If it's still white, it's too lean.

#18 ·
It looks a lot like my 49 EL

Started out (with me anyway) in a 58 swing arm frame. Found a guy had a 49 frame and we traded.
Still get misty eyed thinking about it.
This was around the mid 70's

Tom

Attachments

#19 ·
Wow very similiar. I have same rear fender and seat as you in my parts stash. Progress is slow but I'll be on the road when the snow's gone

You've had quite the scooter assortment!

#27 ·
Motor Jesus is bustin out some cool stuff from his personal stash. This is a Borani 19" alloy wheel with Buchanan stainless spokes, new Speedmaster tire and hub machined for disc brake. There are 360 drilled and chamfered holes in the shoulder of the rim. Not cheap but waaaaay cool I think. Thoughts ???

#29 ·
Just left plating shop. He showed me what a little buffing will do. Looks good to
me!
Yes, buffing aluminum can look really nice. However, we may have a difference of opinion on what "a little buffing" may actually be...

I did "a little buffing" on my front lowers...still needs "a little" more.

and I like those wheels...

rkc

#31 ·
Yeah, nice wheels and I think a good buffing and a coat of mothers after and once a year will be far better than plating, I used to do that and people would swear it looked chromed until they took a good look, and buff doesn't blister or flake years later

#38 · (Edited)
Slow progress. Pistons are in, cylinders cleaned up at 0.30 over. These are Wiseco 9:1 forged.
Heads are being done now and the bottom end is being sent out for rebuild.

Slight change of plans. I have a nice original 52 frame lined up so not going to use the Santee rigid I just bought. When the motor's done it's going back in the swingarm frame and gonna run it all Summer and into Fall and save the project for next winter. This bike rides so nice I'm going to save the entire roller and just drop another motor in this (gen shovel?) after the drivetrain comes out. That's all for now. 50 degrees here at the end of Feb and put some miles on the bagger today twas' nice. Had 105" snow accumulation this time last year!

#44 ·
For those following along, just got the frame freshened up and it looks like new.

Picked up a Santee straight leg rigid big twin replica frame a while ago and just had it freshend up. Looks like new! I'm on the hunt for a 52 orig frame but have this as a backup or another build or as a trading piece.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.