V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is John. I bought a rooling chassis for 200.00 dollars. I was told its a 1951 Harley davidson. It has has a raked front end,custom seat,handle bars,its lowered,spoke wheels,and a few other small things. Any ways I have wanted a bike for most of my life and now I got one. Exept Im not sure how to tell what king of harley it is. I am looking for information. Are there any marks on the frame that can tell me if its really a harley? Is there a way to tell what kind of motor it had or now takes. The owner before me said it may have different motor mounts now. Well thats my story any help would be great Im looking forward to geting my bike on the road.

John

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Hey John, welcome aboard. I don't know how they did things 50 years ago but there should be a serial number stamped on the steering head. Modern Harley serial numbers start with 1HD but again, I don't know about back then. In any case, a dealer should be able to tell the model from the Serial #. Or perhaps the DMV could tell you. Good luck

Dean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dean,
I have found out that in 1951 the nubers were on the engine block and these served as serial numbers for the bike. When the motor was sold the title went with it. I was told by the DMV that when I do buy a motor that my bike will be registered with the numbers on the case. Unfortunetly I cant get a motor until I figure out what kind of motor fits.Thanks for the reply.

John

·
Registered
381 Posts
What you have is an enigma. It could be a 45 (WL) or a 74 pan motor (HydraGlide) that was housed in there. I would probably take measurements of the engine opening and work from that angle. Maybe posting a picture of the frame might help a little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts