V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father has a 1949 Hayley Davidson. He has had it for over 50 years, It has 13,000 miles on it and still has one original tire. Is there any way to find out how much it is worth. It has the gear shift on the side of the gas tank and a suicide clutch. Green with big seat and saddle bags. This bike is all original. Please let me know where to look. My E-Mail address is [email protected]......... Thanks,,, Stan

·
Registered
543 Posts
Aww heck Pipeliner, it's hardly worth anything at all. I'd give you a couple hundred for it, just to take it off your hands. :eek:

·
Registered
515 Posts
ya..... I'll haul it away if you want. It can't be worth that much since its 53 years old.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I knew y'all were a scum-sucking bunch of weasels...hehehehe

Hey kid... don't let 'em screw with ya.... let your ol' buddy Muthuh help ya out here.... it's worth maybe a thousand or so... I'm bringing a trailer your way this evening if ya wanna move it quick - we can make it a surprise for your OM, whaddyasay, huh? :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Probably not worth much. I'd like to have it for my wife.
I think that'd be a fair trade.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Depends on the model, according to NADA it could be worth anywhere from ~$775-$20,000.

Which model is it?
E 61ci
EL 61ci
F 74ci
FL 74ci
FS 74ci
G 45ci SERVI CAR
M/S 125 "HUMMER" 125cc
WL 45ci

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1949 Harley Davidson Hog

Thanks for All the information. I am 52 and was born in 1949, My dad purchased the Harley when I was just a Baby. I learned very young what 90 miles per hour felt on my young face, I could hardly hold my eyes open to see the speedometer. It is a 1949 Harley Davidson Hog (74Cu in. Overhead Valve, HydroGlide). Big seat, Saddle bags and Luggage rake.. All original, Just over 13,000 miles on the speedometer. It has been in dad's garage forever, He gets it out every so often, wipes it off and fires it up. He has had a couple of local fellows inquire about it and has had offers of 17 to 20 thousand Dollars. Dad is going on 79 years now and thinks that He may want to finally let it go. Not sure why I guess........ But if he doesn't sell it, The family will when he is gone......... So he wanted me to inquire around to see if $20,000 was about right for the bike..... I will get a good picture and post later..... Sincerely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Stan Triplett

·
old timer
516 Posts
Pipeliner,

If it's all original and as you say. If it has never been bent or screwed with a collector would probably go between 20 -30,000. I've seen em' go that high but a quick sale would be at 20. THat's the honest value.

You could list it anywhere including Hemmings for those ranges and sell it.

I take it you don't ride or you'd keep it yourself.

manny

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Stan, my Man, why not ask him for it? It's truly a classic and if he kept it all this time, he might like you to have it. PS, please post a picture of it for all to enjoy. Thanx

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with DJW -- my father has two old Harleys that he's kept for years. He'd never sell them because he wants me and my brother to have them.
I think a lot of us would like to see some pics -- any chance of that?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yea! What DJ and Cox said!

Stan have you asked the man to pass it on to you? My Daddy left me a Gradfather Clock and a Roll Top Desk.

There is a reason the man never sold the bike. There is a reason it has but 13000 miles on it.

I have a feeling it means far more to him than $20k and the reason may well be The Spirit that caused him to go out and fire it up now and again.

I have spoken of SOUL when it comes to a bike, and this one, as it relates to your Father, has a SOUL.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Stan, many years ago, my father who was reaching retirement asked if any of his 5 boys and 2 girls were interested in his handgun collection. Now at the time none of us were shooters and not one of us had a pistol permit. I decided to go through the rigorous (and expensive) NY licencing circus, so that he would have someone to give his collection to in his will. He still has the collection, but since that time we have spent many enjoyable hours at the pistol club etc... I realized then it wasn't about the guns, it was about the time spent with his son that mattered to him.

Funny thing happed, too, in all those years, I spent more time with him as my own family was growing up and somehow he went from being "my stupid old man" to being the smartest man I've met. -hmmm.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would keep the bike as an heir loom. Stan no mention weather you ride or if your father is in good health. I say you pull out the scoot wipe her down and return that ride to your father. :D Looking forward to seeing the pics. Sin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts