V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm posting this as it took me literally weeks to get to the point where I'm just now finally understanding some of the problems with the stock HD 'Boom' audio system. Since I've done a LOT of research, I figured I'd share some of it, and open the thread to commentary.

To begin, my '19 SGS is actually a 'replacement' vehicle courtesy of the HD Motor Company. I had purchased a '19 SG 'Standard' earlier this summer, but due to some engine related issues, the bike was replaced by HD in cooperation with a local dealer (not my 'selling' dealer). As part of this replacement deal, I decided to 'upgrade' the bike and go with the 'Special' model, in part because of it's upgraded speakers. As it turns out, this has not been enough to make me happy. Let me digress for just a moment: I've been riding since I was 12. I'm now 67. Last year was my first year of riding a motorcycle with a faring and a sound system. For a 3500 mile trip last year I purchased an '07 Street Glide, and about half way along the trip I decided to drop in a CD and see what it was like to ride with music. I got hooked! As it worked out, I sold the bike 2 days after returning from the trip. I missed it. Enter the '19 Street Glide.

So, a couple of things I noted on this 'newer' bike with the 'Boom' system: First, it's general audio output seemed better than that of the '07 with the Harman Kardon head unit. My '07 had the 5.25" speakers, as did the '19 'Standard'. The 'Special' has 6.5" speakers, and this is a definite improvement as well. The combination of larger speakers and improved amp capability give the new bike a definite edge over the old one. HOWEVER, that said, in riding both these '19 bikes for the latter part of the summer and into the late fall here, I've noted some issues that I've found rather annoying. Aside from the fact that HD felt it wise to do away with the CD drive and go with a choice of either Bluetooth or USB..... there is an aspect to the sound itself that's driven me to the point of feeling the need for some major additions. Simply put, the system just has a 'tubby' sound to it! There are times while riding and listening that it sounds to me like the speakers are down at the bottom of one of those blue plastic 55 gallon chemical drums! And, it's just focusing up and hitting me in the face......and just 'honks' at me!! I've grown to hate this.....and now consider it simply unacceptable. Enter the 'technical' evaluation:

Harley seems to have had this system built by people who are not particularly 'audiophile' types.....but probably more the '....drink beer, ride the highway, and listen to country music' types. I say 'seems', as this is what I've been told....and I state for the record that I am not stating this as 'fact'. But, the sound of the system would indicate that there's probably some truth to it. While the Motor Company has made some legitimate efforts to improve things, they've made some basic errors that can drive someone crazy (me)!! Somewhere in the recent past, I believe around 2014 or so, HD changed to the 'Boom' (r) audio system. This included a proprietary head unit, as well as some custom designed enclosures for the back-side of the bat-wing faring. Please note, I'm going no further with this than the 2-speaker system in my bike. Other issue may be involved with the 4 speaker systems, but as I don't have that, I didn't dive that far into it. Anyway, back to the new speaker enclosures. While this surely presents some protection to the backside of the speakers, it also presents a 'tuning' problem. Like exhaust systems, speaker enclosures have a resonant frequency that needs to be considered when using speakers of different types and sizes. So, a 'one enclosure fits all' approach just doesn't cut it, but that's the only choice. And, unfortunately, the one enclosure that they DID go with has a really significant frequency peak in the lower mid-range of the sonic spectrum. So, the beginning of the explanation for the 'honk' in the sound of my system. Added to this is what is also a rather odd 'EQ' setting that the stock 'Boom' head comes with from the factory. This setting rather emphasizes the lower and mid frequencies and assumes that the High Frequency side of things is unimportant. Add this factory to the plastic enclosure speaker box, and this pretty well explains the issue. I refrain from calling it a problem, as it's all operating as designed and intended, and it may make some people VERY happy! Not me! For me....it's a problem! And, apparently it is for others as well, as there's a whole big world of after-market vendors out there making a living on improving this system!! Enter the 'fix'!!

So, what are the options? To begin, one has to assume that the factory speakers can be significantly improved upon. Without pushing any specific brand here, I will just say that purchasing a replacement set was my first step in this process. I should also note that the many functions of the 'Boom' head make replacing it almost prohibitive. Some people do it.....and it's not a bad thing to do. But, I like the Nav function in my head unit, as well as all the other controls it has, and it's 'integration' with the motorcycle's ECU. So, keeping the stock head was a no-brainer for me. However, this meant that further attention was needed!! As it worked out, there are after-market 'flashes' that can be performed to the 'Boom' head that alter the factory's EQ curve. I'm told that Harley had one for their 'Trike' radio heads, but I chose to go with one from an outside agency. This involves taking the bike to a place that offers this service....and generally involves a cost factor of around $100 or so. But, it's a REALLY GOOD IDEA to get it done. Once 'flashed', the addition of some increased audio output power is needed to improve the system. So, a supplemental audio power amp is the next part of the process. While these are available in all shapes, sizes, output levels, colors, and brands.....the best piece of advice I can offer here is that you 'match' the amp to the speakers you purchase. In my case, my speakers are rated for 125hz to 20Khz @ 100 watts continuous and 200 watts peak! So, I chose an amp that was rated for 125 watts continuous, and will likely never turn it up to full. By doing this, I'll be able to have the amp perhaps hit 150 watts on some 'transient' passage (a bass drum or some really loud 'peak' demand). In all likelihood I'll be running at more like 20 to 25 watts 'continuous' output power, well below the speakers rating. I should add that I chose a 'Class D' amp for this purpose. This is a designation given to the operating conditions of the amplification devices internally within the amp itself. Other classes, like A, A/B, or C also exist, but Class D is currently the most efficient type of amp on the market, so....smaller and more effective, and less demand on your bike's charging system. Finally, an 'interface' between the head and amp is necessary. There are a good many 'converters' out there which will suffice to allow the speaker outputs from the Boom head to be transformed to 'line-level' outputs to connect to the amp. Just make sure you chose one that includes some consideration for speaker load back to the head. If not, the head may shut down, thinking it's pouring it's output into a 'blown' speaker. This isn't the end, but can be frustrating and problematic. Finally, wiring it all up is important. Make sure you chose the proper wiring for your amp, and properly 'fuse' it back at the battery.

One last thing I'll add as I close this out: While the above will produce a very nice system that will be heads and tails above the 'stock' HD system, there is still one more thing that may be worth considering. This would be the inclusion of either a 'fixed' EQ device between the head and amp, or an 'app controlled' Digital Signal Processor....which is a glorified EQ that can be adjusted through a cell phone app without having to remove the front of the faring. I'm adding this to my system. In all, I'll have less than $1000 in my system, and more like about $650. Well worth it IMHO. For anyone interested in more details, please PM me with specific questions. Otherwise, I'll be interested in any commentary on the above. Thanks for reading my post!! Tom D.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice post! Very helpful and, if I may say, diplomatic. Now, let’s just to the chase. What speakers and amp did you select? And what EQ device? know you don’t want to promote any manufacturers, but people do want to know what others have used with which they are happy (and unhappy, in some cases) and what physically fits in the fairing and the speaker holes. So please share! And, as always, ... pictures!

Again, really nice write up of the technical issues. Just got a 2017 RGS yesterday and I’m already thinking how to get broader sound out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOTE: The below items represent my current choices for this project. As noted on the final entry, some of these choices are still up for change. In fact, any or all of them might be changed over time. I could end up blowing the speakers down the road (literally)..... and would probably try something else should that happen. But, for purposes of having a completed system upgrade, this is where I'm at now.

Speakers: MMATS PA601CX w/ 'marine' waterproofing treatment
Line Level adapter: Biketronics BT355 (for HD w/ HD speaker connections)
Amp: Hertz DPower4 600 Watt 4-channel (run 'bridged' as a 2-channel unit)
Amp Mounting Plate: Biketronics 2014 & Up
Flash: Rockford 2014 & up for HD
Processor: TBD (currently have an auto 9-band EQ but considering adding the Rockford DSR-1)
Wiring install kit: 'Generic' ebay kit w/ 8 ga power line. All of about $10 'shipped'!

The above represents a $700 'investment' which includes an $80 charge for the Rockford 'Flash' from a local motorcycle shop. Also, my 9-band EQ is a carry-over from a past auto install and I originally got it for $0.00 from a friend. Similar units are available on ebay for about $50 +/-. The Lighter circuit is used for the amp and processor 'trigger' line, as it's switched with the ignition and will shut off when the bike is shut off. However, a separate switch is included so I can turn amp and processor off while riding but not in use. No sense in running them if not using them. I have a mini toggle switch mounted low on the faring, but you could use a factory HD switch made for the bike and it would probably be a better choice!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very nice write up. I have had the upgraded Boom Audio II, amp and speakers in my '15 Street Glide Special since it was new. I did this right off the bat, because the system in my '13 Street Glide and previous touring bikes was terrible and I literally never turned the radios on. I am also not impressed with the Boom Audio system. Sure it's louder, so I can hear it when blasting down the highway at 70 -80 mph. But the sound quality is junk (even with country music on), especially related the cost of the upgrade. I have also had blown speakers replaced a few times, the amp replaced once and all of the upgrade flashes Harley offers done.

If I don't get a new touring bike in the next year, I will probably swap the whole entire system for aftermarket components. Better yet, I will just ride my '97 EVO Softail and enjoy the sound of the pipes singing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jhammer, I can relate to your ending comment! I have an '01 Fatboy with a 'built' engine that screams! It's maybe a bit too loud for me these days. But, I still spend some time on it.....like you said, just to hear the thing. I might add that it's still fun to grab a fist-full of throttle on that bike. It may not be as smooth of the road, or as 'trip-worthy' as the Street Glide, but it's still fast as hell up to 100!! Blows away that 114 in the SPS.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
More about this third party flash for the stock head unit. I don't have one, but I'd like more details because I think other people will want more details. is this something that can be done by removing the head unit and shipping it to a shop that does this work, or must it be done while installed on the bike?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg,

From what I understand, there are perhaps 100+ 'flashes' out there. It's done through the motorcycle's data port, and I believe it requires the head to be 'in' the motorcycle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Informative thread, thanks for sharing in depth! The options are as large as your wallet. I'm at the same point with my '18 RGS, first radio on a bike and not impressed. I went with a taller windshield(Freedom Shields), which did make a noticeable difference. Just can't see dumping big $ into the audio, rather wake up the engine or upgrade the rear shocks. My other bike is a '03 wide glide(95"). I agree, paying extra for the 'special' upgrade, the audio is lacking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
03, I neglected to mention that I too added a taller wind screen. And, I did this not because I wanted the wind off my face! But, apparently like yourself, I did this to keep the wind down so I could hear the stereo better. And, it DID make a difference! I went with a 5" version initially, but then moved up to an 8" version, complete with the little roll-top edge similar to what I believe the Clockworx version has. However mine are just generic versions off ebay for about 1/10 the price. I think the Clockworx screen is approaching $200, where the one I purchased was all of about $20. Since I still look over it vs through it, it works perfectly for my purposes. And, it does help reduce the wind noise for 'listening' purposes. As to engine mods to wake it up, I'm just not finding that necessary any more. I honestly don't know what he 'ratings' are on this 114 CID engine. But, it ain't a race bike.......so I'm content with leaving it alone for the most part. I've got some open baffle slip-on mufflers on it now, and they're clearly louder, but not WAY loud! Because they come after the Catalytic Converter and with the bike having a 'closed loop' EFI with O2 sensors, I'm told that adding just these mufflers doesn't require any additional tuning. And, the bike seems to run fine with them installed. But, I may do the High Flow air induction thing and then go with the HD Street Tuner. This retains the OEM Warranty......so, for now, I'd like to hang on to that. So far I'm not overly impressed with the M8 motor. I honestly believe it was developed more as an answer to the needs of the Motor Company to maintain compliance with Federal Legislation on emissions levels as opposed to a 'consumer driven' upgrade. My Twin-Cam motor with upgrades easily out-performs this M8 motor, and it just feels better. But, maybe over time I'll adjust. Maybe I need to do those engine upgrades you mention to 'wake it up' and then I'll be happier with it. Dunno....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I know HD is having some REALLY hard times with the whole emissions issue. Was looking like that V-Rod motor was to be the wave of the future, then along came the M8. I believe the M8 deals with cleaner combustion in a few different ways, which include the beneficial aspect of multi-valves, increased compression ratios, some different timing curves, an extremely lean A/F ratio, different cam timing, dual spark plugs, and probably more. I believe all this led to some significant issues with Detonation.....which then required the inclusion of detonation sensors on these motors as well. I'm not so sure that they actually have this problem under control, as I believe my new bike has it to some degree, my prior '19 SG Std had it so badly the Motor Company replaced the bike, and from what I can tell, a good many other bikes have it as well. The good news being that some of the 'tuning' options out there appear to offer a genuine resolution to this issue, however that generates the problem of their use resulting in potential warranty difficulties. It's my understanding that HD has basically instructed all it's dealers to basically 'Decline!!' ANY engine / trans related claim where a DTC is present indicating an engine controller alteration. This, BY LAW, is an illegal practice, and anyone familiar with the Federal Magnusson Moss Warranty Act will support this. NO manufacturer can revoke, rescind, or 'void' a person's warranty, even for modifications to the vehicle. HOWEVER, they CAN decline to pay a claim based on their assessment that the modifications are the cause of the failure and NOT a manufacturer's defect (which includes materials, workmanship, or both, but NOT a claim that something is a bad design). I guess it's HD's policy to just automatically deny any such claims and let the owner go get a lawyer and fight it out in court. The owner would most likely prevail, but who's going to spend $5K or $10K on legal fees, not to mention months if not years trying to 'settle' a case? So, the odds are in the Motor Company's favor!!! Hence my decision to do without a tuner for now. I will add that using HD's 'Street Tuner' I'm told will NOT result in warranty problems. And, I guess it permits some margin of adjustment that, with an air intake and slip on mufflers, can enhance the tuning to the point where detonation issues become insignificant enough that the 'average' rider just doesn't hear them. Me, I'm REALLY anal about this stuff!! So, I'm taking any engine mods VERY slowly! I'm hoping that the after-market engine builders end up giving their certificate of approval to the M8 mill. My fear is....they won't! If not, then I'll be looking for a 'used' 2012 Street Glide!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, if you read the consent decree between the EPA and the MoCo in a literal way, it appears to do exactly that: it mandates that the MoCo MUST void any warranty of any bike found to have unapproved parts on it. Perhaps that does go afoul of the law defended above. But who wants to spend the time and money to be the test case to fight it in court?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's exactly what I was told, though I've not yet read that 'consent' document. If you know where a copy of that document can be examined, I'd like to read it! I have a gut feeling that there are some 'interpretations' involved that might be rather self-serving to the Motor Company in that they can simply turn a blind eye to some of this stuff and blame the EPA for so doing. And, I'm sure the EPA doesn't mind this as they know that it serves the environment to keep the bikes leaned out and running on the ragged edge of unacceptable performance. Yet, there IS Mag-Moss to protect consumers! And, it wouldn't be the first time that a couple of Government Agencies had some conflicting policies. It may take a Class Action suit in order to get the Motor Company to back off on their position..... but like you said, who wants to sponsor that? Again, this is the entire reason that I have elected NOT to make any such modifications to my bike until the Warranty period expires. I already fought my Lemon Law case with them and prevailed! I don't want to go into a breach of warranty suit! That's an entirely different game. I know if I had to, I 'could', and 'would' win in litagation! But I'd rather not have a situation that requires me to do so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you google Harley EPA consent decree you will find it.

And you’re right. There are areas that are open to interpretations. That’s why we hire lawyers, to plead for our interpretations (and to educate us on what prior interpretations of similar disputes have been).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow!! Just read through all 33 pages of that DOC. Looks like the Fed really slapped HD.....more than just on the wrist!! I guess this would be one of those ".... we all saw it comin'...." moments, but I honestly have not been paying much attention to this kind of stuff with HD for the past 10 years or so. If it had happened 20 years ago I'm sure I WOULD have known about it, and 30 years ago I might have actually gotten involved with it....as I was living right under the shadow of the old HD Plant water tower just off Capital Ave in Milwaukee. I was working with the Wisconsin AG's office as well......so, might have been interesting! Anyway, in reading the document, I think it's pretty 'black and white'......and I'm sure HD is taking a conservative approach to avoid any further 'infraction' issues or fines. I'd note that the term 'Power Train', as applied to the specific warranty area that the Motor Company is obligated to decline under this Decree if an 'unauthorized' tuner is used, that term is NOT defined within the Consent Degree. As such, this interpretation could go as far as the rear wheel and even include the electrical system. Since the 'Boom' audio head is tied in to the motorcycle's ECU, it too could potentially 'declined' if a defect were noted within the warranty period and if an unauthorized tuner were shown to be used on the bike. In short, it's pretty obvious that the EPA has decided that the Harley Davidson Motor Company has a Bullseye on it! And, it's pretty obvious to me that HD would be well advised to be as conservative as possible with regards to these issues. So, back to my original comment: No mods to the bike until such time as any HD warranty is no longer applicable!

Scoop, thanks for the info! Very helpful to now be aware of all this. It WILL affect my approach with my local dealership.

Tom D.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow!! Just read through all 33 pages of that DOC. Looks like the Fed really slapped HD.....more than just on the wrist!! I guess this would be one of those ".... we all saw it comin'...." moments, but I honestly have not been paying much attention to this kind of stuff with HD for the past 10 years or so. If it had happened 20 years ago I'm sure I WOULD have known about it, and 30 years ago I might have actually gotten involved with it....as I was living right under the shadow of the old HD Plant water tower just off Capital Ave in Milwaukee. I was working with the Wisconsin AG's office as well......so, might have been interesting! Anyway, in reading the document, I think it's pretty 'black and white'......and I'm sure HD is taking a conservative approach to avoid any further 'infraction' issues or fines. I'd note that the term 'Power Train', as applied to the specific warranty area that the Motor Company is obligated to decline under this Decree if an 'unauthorized' tuner is used, that term is NOT defined within the Consent Degree. As such, this interpretation could go as far as the rear wheel and even include the electrical system. Since the 'Boom' audio head is tied in to the motorcycle's ECU, it too could potentially 'declined' if a defect were noted within the warranty period and if an unauthorized tuner were shown to be used on the bike. In short, it's pretty obvious that the EPA has decided that the Harley Davidson Motor Company has a Bullseye on it! And, it's pretty obvious to me that HD would be well advised to be as conservative as possible with regards to these issues. So, back to my original comment: No mods to the bike until such time as any HD warranty is no longer applicable!

Scoop, thanks for the info! Very helpful to now be aware of all this. It WILL affect my approach with my local dealership.

Tom D.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I'm posting this as it took me literally weeks to get to the point where I'm just now finally understanding some of the problems with the stock HD 'Boom' audio system. Since I've done a LOT of research, I figured I'd share some of it, and open the thread to commentary.

To begin, my '19 SGS is actually a 'replacement' vehicle courtesy of the HD Motor Company. I had purchased a '19 SG 'Standard' earlier this summer, but due to some engine related issues, the bike was replaced by HD in cooperation with a local dealer (not my 'selling' dealer). As part of this replacement deal, I decided to 'upgrade' the bike and go with the 'Special' model, in part because of it's upgraded speakers. As it turns out, this has not been enough to make me happy. Let me digress for just a moment: I've been riding since I was 12. I'm now 67. Last year was my first year of riding a motorcycle with a faring and a sound system. For a 3500 mile trip last year I purchased an '07 Street Glide, and about half way along the trip I decided to drop in a CD and see what it was like to ride with music. I got hooked! As it worked out, I sold the bike 2 days after returning from the trip. I missed it. Enter the '19 Street Glide.

So, a couple of things I noted on this 'newer' bike with the 'Boom' system: First, it's general audio output seemed better than that of the '07 with the Harman Kardon head unit. My '07 had the 5.25" speakers, as did the '19 'Standard'. The 'Special' has 6.5" speakers, and this is a definite improvement as well. The combination of larger speakers and improved amp capability give the new bike a definite edge over the old one. HOWEVER, that said, in riding both these '19 bikes for the latter part of the summer and into the late fall here, I've noted some issues that I've found rather annoying. Aside from the fact that HD felt it wise to do away with the CD drive and go with a choice of either Bluetooth or USB..... there is an aspect to the sound itself that's driven me to the point of feeling the need for some major additions. Simply put, the system just has a 'tubby' sound to it! There are times while riding and listening that it sounds to me like the speakers are down at the bottom of one of those blue plastic 55 gallon chemical drums! And, it's just focusing up and hitting me in the face......and just 'honks' at me!! I've grown to hate this.....and now consider it simply unacceptable. Enter the 'technical' evaluation:

Harley seems to have had this system built by people who are not particularly 'audiophile' types.....but probably more the '....drink beer, ride the highway, and listen to country music' types. I say 'seems', as this is what I've been told....and I state for the record that I am not stating this as 'fact'. But, the sound of the system would indicate that there's probably some truth to it. While the Motor Company has made some legitimate efforts to improve things, they've made some basic errors that can drive someone crazy (me)!! Somewhere in the recent past, I believe around 2014 or so, HD changed to the 'Boom' (r) audio system. This included a proprietary head unit, as well as some custom designed enclosures for the back-side of the bat-wing faring. Please note, I'm going no further with this than the 2-speaker system in my bike. Other issue may be involved with the 4 speaker systems, but as I don't have that, I didn't dive that far into it. Anyway, back to the new speaker enclosures. While this surely presents some protection to the backside of the speakers, it also presents a 'tuning' problem. Like exhaust systems, speaker enclosures have a resonant frequency that needs to be considered when using speakers of different types and sizes. So, a 'one enclosure fits all' approach just doesn't cut it, but that's the only choice. And, unfortunately, the one enclosure that they DID go with has a really significant frequency peak in the lower mid-range of the sonic spectrum. So, the beginning of the explanation for the 'honk' in the sound of my system. Added to this is what is also a rather odd 'EQ' setting that the stock 'Boom' head comes with from the factory. This setting rather emphasizes the lower and mid frequencies and assumes that the High Frequency side of things is unimportant. Add this factory to the plastic enclosure speaker box, and this pretty well explains the issue. I refrain from calling it a problem, as it's all operating as designed and intended, and it may make some people VERY happy! Not me! For me....it's a problem! And, apparently it is for others as well, as there's a whole big world of after-market vendors out there making a living on improving this system!! Enter the 'fix'!!

So, what are the options? To begin, one has to assume that the factory speakers can be significantly improved upon. Without pushing any specific brand here, I will just say that purchasing a replacement set was my first step in this process. I should also note that the many functions of the 'Boom' head make replacing it almost prohibitive. Some people do it.....and it's not a bad thing to do. But, I like the Nav function in my head unit, as well as all the other controls it has, and it's 'integration' with the motorcycle's ECU. So, keeping the stock head was a no-brainer for me. However, this meant that further attention was needed!! As it worked out, there are after-market 'flashes' that can be performed to the 'Boom' head that alter the factory's EQ curve. I'm told that Harley had one for their 'Trike' radio heads, but I chose to go with one from an outside agency. This involves taking the bike to a place that offers this service....and generally involves a cost factor of around $100 or so. But, it's a REALLY GOOD IDEA to get it done. Once 'flashed', the addition of some increased audio output power is needed to improve the system. So, a supplemental audio power amp is the next part of the process. While these are available in all shapes, sizes, output levels, colors, and brands.....the best piece of advice I can offer here is that you 'match' the amp to the speakers you purchase. In my case, my speakers are rated for 125hz to 20Khz @ 100 watts continuous and 200 watts peak! So, I chose an amp that was rated for 125 watts continuous, and will likely never turn it up to full. By doing this, I'll be able to have the amp perhaps hit 150 watts on some 'transient' passage (a bass drum or some really loud 'peak' demand). In all likelihood I'll be running at more like 20 to 25 watts 'continuous' output power, well below the speakers rating. I should add that I chose a 'Class D' amp for this purpose. This is a designation given to the operating conditions of the amplification devices internally within the amp itself. Other classes, like A, A/B, or C also exist, but Class D is currently the most efficient type of amp on the market, so....smaller and more effective, and less demand on your bike's charging system. Finally, an 'interface' between the head and amp is necessary. There are a good many 'converters' out there which will suffice to allow the speaker outputs from the Boom head to be transformed to 'line-level' outputs to connect to the amp. Just make sure you chose one that includes some consideration for speaker load back to the head. If not, the head may shut down, thinking it's pouring it's output into a 'blown' speaker. This isn't the end, but can be frustrating and problematic. Finally, wiring it all up is important. Make sure you chose the proper wiring for your amp, and properly 'fuse' it back at the battery.

One last thing I'll add as I close this out: While the above will produce a very nice system that will be heads and tails above the 'stock' HD system, there is still one more thing that may be worth considering. This would be the inclusion of either a 'fixed' EQ device between the head and amp, or an 'app controlled' Digital Signal Processor....which is a glorified EQ that can be adjusted through a cell phone app without having to remove the front of the faring. I'm adding this to my system. In all, I'll have less than $1000 in my system, and more like about $650. Well worth it IMHO. For anyone interested in more details, please PM me with specific questions. Otherwise, I'll be interested in any commentary on the above. Thanks for reading my post!! Tom D.
Actually, I'm happy with my '16 Ultra. First thing I did was download 932, 50's & 60's music to a flash drive & plugged it into the radio. I'm hard of hearing, so I have it cranked way up (My roommate can hear me coming two miles away). As far as "sound quality", back to the "hard hearing", so the highs & lows mean nothing to me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So, I guess getting 4 years before blowing out the factory speakers I should be happy?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts