was impressed with it. How is the VTX as far as power and performance
and handling?
Ride Safe
masher

·
Registered
695 Posts
This is from a review I read:
The VTX is fast, it's just too long and too heavy. I prefer Yamaha's V-Max. Max's V-Four churns out 20 more bhp than the VTX1800, gets it down the dragstrip 1 second quicker and pushes it to a 20-mph higher top speed. Not to mention the Yamaha is a good 120 pounds lighter than the Honda and $2000 cheaper.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VTX

Thanks Cox9000 for the response.I had also heard that the VTX was a
tank.I personally think Honda Motor Co, made a big mistake thinking
the VTX would take the place of the Valkyerie.In my area I can't recall
seeing a VTX on the road,whereas Valks were very popular.
Ride Safe
masher:cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
We're thinking the same way on this one. Hey have you heard / read that Kawasaki and Suzuki are joining forces in their research & development. Both Kawasaki and Suzuki welcome this new research and development partnership, which will help to ensure the healthy growth of the motorcycle industry. Many think that by them working together now their growth will have a new impact in the motorcycle industry.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Future Of Motorcycles

I think one thing for sure, the future of Bikes is great.I never thought
that H-D would bring out a water cooled machine but the V-Rod
is the bike!
At any rate, I love just about everything on two wheels,Well maybe
not a Lambretta scooter.But, I guess it would be better than walking !:D

Ride Safe
Masher

·
Registered
695 Posts
I feel the same way about 2 wheels, that's why I owned a vast variety over the years. I'd like to test ride one of these new Triumph's, from what I've read they sound like a nice bike.
This V-Rod is truly an amazing production that Harley I'm sure is very proud of.

·
Registered
120 Posts
MASHER, Sorry I've been such a chump and taken so long to get back in here!! I bought the VTX as a totally different take on the Harley ride. I think too much is made of it being big and heavy, when you buy it you already know it is a 700lb. 100 hp monster. It's not intended to be a sport bike and certainly doesn't handle like one. It is, however, more nimble than my Road King and a TON faster. It borders on dangerous. It's not as comfortable for the long ride, but that's what my Harely is for. It will truly throw you back in your seat. I feel it turns and handles like a 700 lb., big inch bike would be expected to handle. It's a serious contrast to the RK. It is plagued by a few bugs, plug fouling, some cam decompression troubles (I have only battled the plug problem which was cured with a Power Commander and 87 octane gas), but it's a new release. My '02 Harley has (unfortunately) spent much more time in the shop than the Honda. It's relatively cheap, and I got 2.9% interest for 36 months. I got a good price, $11000, was able to bargain. It's not, nor I think, was it intended to be, a Harley. It's a load of fun, but if I had to part with one of my bikes, I'd sell the Honda. I love the comfort and riding position of the Road King, and I'm in the process of getting it built a bit closer to the power of the VTX. The Honda ruined my tolerance for wimpy engines!!! Anything else you want to know, please e-mail me!!:(

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Black Classic and I understand getting tied up with stuff.I had to visit the H-D/Honda shop today because unfortunately i had to lay my
Wing down last night at an intersection in town.The guy ahead of me
decided to stop after starting to go_Oh Well, I had a chance to look at a
Candy Orange VTX.It seems like a huge beast sitting there and truthfully
I think I'm a bit old for that type of bike.I heard that their coming out
with a tour version next year which somehow seems odd.I still
can't figure out why the Valkyerie was discontinued,but I guess they had
their reasons.I did see a Black/Green electra glide there that was very
good looking.All in all I wish I had the $$ because I would own
both Harly and some type of metric cruiser.
Thanks for the info on the VTX as I think its kind of a cool looking bike.

Well, as I say at the end of my posts "Ride Safe"
A somewhat bummed out masher:(

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black Classic
I forgot to say that I wish you the best with your RK.Maybe my son will
let me ride his 2001 RK when I start to climb the walls waiting to get my
bike back.
"Ride Safe"
Masher

·
Registered
695 Posts
Black Classic,
What types or kinds of extras came with your VTX? Like for example I found out a little while ago that the Harley I have on order doesn't even come with a toolkit.
Sounds like this bike has the power I like but you said it wasn't all that great for long trips. When you said, "it borders on dangerous", what did you mean?
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Masher, I'm really sorry to hear about your lay down!! I was on a demo ride with my brother last weekend and a young, dare I say, stupid kid was on the V-Rod. Thankfully he was behind the Dealer lead rider, my brother and I. He cranked it into a right turn long sweeper and had obviously never had that kind of power and weight under him. He caught the peg, brought the rear wheel up and catapulted off a curb at 60-70 mph. He was thrown 75 feet from the bike, the bike bounced off a light pole (knocking the lights off of the pole!) and the cycle ended up another 100 ft. down the other side of the 4-lane. We finally found the handlebars in a culvert about 100 yds (!) from the first impact. Amazingly, the kid is relatively unhurt. He was ahead of me when we first left the dealer, breaking the rear wheel loose, only one hand on the bars, etc, etc. He had a "Ride it like you stole it.." t-shirt on and unfortunately totalled the shop owner's personal ride. I try to stay paranoid, as I'm sure you do, but you never know. Just like your incident last night. I didn't mean to go off on that story, but your "ride safe" post-script is really meaningful. I hope your bike is back to you soon, I'm heading out on the VTX right now. If you ever get to Nebraska, you can take it for a long spin. Take care. By the way, your handle makes it clear you're a Nam vet. I was lucky enough to miss the lottery by about 6 months, but I've been to Viet Nam twice in the last 5 years. I have a real interest in the military history of the American involvement and the utmost respect and humility regarding you veterans. We're all fortunate to have had you defend our country. Best Regards, Patrick

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cox9000, It doesn't come with a lot of accessories. Honda has learned from Harley and sells aftermarket, but they don't have much yet. Most of what I have gotten have been from other aftermarket suppliers. I don't mean to imply that it's not for touring. There is a great VTX board where hundreds of riders go huge distance. I think that the geometry of my Road King just fits me better from the factory, so it's more comfortable for the long haul, for me personally. I think the Honda is a great touring bike, but likely not as comfortable as their Gold Wing or Valk. The "dangerous" comment refers to the power. It's a monster step more powerful than my Harley. If you are used to big power, you'll LOVE a VTX. It is an "eyeball rattler" though, 2 big jugs that shake you up a bit when you really crack the throttle. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think I'm gona have to check out this VTX. I've always been into power and this beast sounds like it has it. Thanks for the extra info on the bike.

I didn't even know masher51 had a wreck. Where did you read about this (what thread?) I missed it.
I'm also sorry to hear about that, are you doing OK masher51?

·
Registered
120 Posts
cox9000, I picked up the fact that Masher had a crash on one of the forums that was getting responses from veterans. I'm sorry, I can't remember which one(!) It sounded as if someone in front of him committed to a turn, then panic stopped and Masher had to lay his bike down to avoid a bigger shunt. He sounded OK, but also sounded "bikeless" for a while. Nasty. Try to get a demo ride on a VTX, that's what I did at Daytona this last spring. Good luck, Black Classic

·
Registered
695 Posts
I guess I was trying to scan to fast Black Classic -- it was right there in my face.

Hey Masher, did you get hurt any when you had to lay down your bike? What got messed up on your bike.
Hope your son lets you ride his bike -- HA!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bummed

COX9000
I didn't get hurt that bad,got some whip lash thing going as my neck
hurts.The bike has about $1000 damage and will be down for who knows
how long.My son stopped by and said to take his RK when I want to
ride it! The kid has some class not to mention being unselfish.I guess
we need to grow eyes all over ourselves because you just never can
tell what a cage will do.
I propose that all cages be banned from the highways and that riding
a bike becomes law! If ya can't ride on two wheels they can stay
home.(Dreaming again )
Ride Safe
and try to keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down.
Masher

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sure am glad to hear you're OK. It's always sad news (with me) when I hear about a fellow rider going down, especially when it's caused by an idiot cager.
$1000 in damage -- ouch! Are you confident the bike can be repaired to the way it was?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.