V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one have an idea of the cost o install a 180 back wheel on a 2002 Fatboy. I think DM customs has a kit. It would need a new fender right?.

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can not speak specifically on the fatboy fender but an 18" 180 is 7.00 wide for an Avon and 7.30" wide for a Metzler. The Bobtail style fender requires replacement since it is 7.25" wide. DM customs has a fiberglass fender that goes over the existing struts or you can go with Wide1 or Heartland they provide you with a fender and you have to cut the struts off your Harley Frame to be replaced with ones they provide. I am looking at this project and plan on $3,600 expense including new front wheel and rotor to match new rear wheel, which is required.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

May i just but in and point out, excellent first post fastman_d and welcome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
180 on my 2k softail

I installed a 180 avon on my 2k softail last winter. I cut off the frame horns and installed a set of straight struts with a new fender.
Went with billet wheels but a person could get out cheaper.
you could go spoke on front and a spoke on rear or billets.
if i could figure out how to up load picture i would show the bike to you

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have heard that too, but that seems to close to be practicle, .060 is roughly 1/16" which doesn't leave much tolerance. I too would be interested if anyone has more info.

Brake1550 if you have any words of wisdom concerning your changeout, I would be interested in them. For example, what was the amount you had to machine from your brake caliper bracket and how much longer was your spacer on the left side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is very close to the belt. prob less than a 1/8. But when you ride the bike. the belt rides out giving more space. Mine has been like this for about a year without any problems. As far as spacing when i ordered my wheels rc componets. I told them what i was doing and they made them like i needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts