V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn Spedometer went out on the way home tonight!

2000 FLHRCI bought new and only has 45k on it and I get this ****.

Read the manual and the damn fault codes and flowchart crap just pissed me off!

Thank God for Beer!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope first thing I noticed coming home is that they will not cancel unless I hit the switch again.

I'm hoping the same thing. Doing a rear tire this weekend for the upcoming trip so I get the damn thing then.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Takes 5 minutes to take the thing out of there, pull the sensor and wipe the metal shavings off it and maybe it works. Even if it needs a sensor, they are cheap.
If it doesn't work just cleaning the sensor you might want to borrow one from another bike for testing, as it also could be a wire that has come loose, but odds are it's the sensor.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You should really use the **** I use in the gearbox. Just changed it yesterday to see what it looked like and it looked like new after 7K and there wasn't a single shaving on the drain plug. If you consider this were the first 7K on the bike, it is pretty significant.
Main reason is I figured to check the adjustment of the primary chain after the Laughlin hammering and much to my surprise found it in spec. It never has been adjusted since the bike was new. Pretty unusual, damn bike seems to be like the owner, just wants to be left alone. LOL

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey bro,

Which four star stuff are you using? Doing the 45 this weekend too and I am up for switching fluid types.

Still runnin HD oils but ready to swich up.

Pretty sure it's the senso also, cause the thing worked coming home yesterday. Checked the turn signal return and it was good as well. Riding in this morning it looked like a clock in Alice and Wonderland. LOL!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok bro. I ordered the stuff and will give it a shot. Heard ya talk about it before.

So what are ya running as engine oil?

Thanks Bro!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Always ran BelRay EXS 10W50, and it still would be my choice, but right now I don't feel like paying over $11.00 a quart, so recently I started using the Mobil 15W50 from WalMart.

So far I have not noticed anything unusual, but the weather hasn't warmed over 100F yet. The jury is still out on this one.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I will continue with the HD Motor Oil. It has held up good here in Houston so far. Does not look too bad at 5k but it does look ready then.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So how often you changing the gear box and primary with red line? Red line 20-50 was rec by someone else for the motor on another digest - what's your take on it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
JimmyK said:
Hey Rustler, you the same Rustler new to IHR ??
Yea there is only one me and most folks think that is one too many - got there indirectly as a result of Hippo fixing a problem I had on this forum actually.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I think the RedLine 20W50 engine oil, the regular one as opposed to the racing oil, is very good and in the class of the BelRay. Both are diester based synthetics.
It's just that the difference in price from the BelRay to the RedLine, considering the amount of oil I use, is not significant enough to change from something that has worked exceedingly well over many years.

As far as the gearbox and primary oil, generally with a new bike I try to establish some sort of baseline at first, in particular if I get the feel there might be some sort of issue. The conclusion over time is that on most bikes I would have no reservation whatsoever of running the gearbox oil for 10 and even 20K miles. On the old bike this was also the case with the primary. On this bike I will likely change the primary once or twice more at the normal intervals, if not shortened ones, because I have a reason to look in there now and then. Might turn out to be nothing but a characteristic of this particular bike.

In other words I don't maintain my bikes at specific intervals, while I probably overmaintain them, when I get the feel something should be looked at or observe something not quite usual regardless of mileage, I look at it. Works for me.

The only thing is that I would replace all this stuff once a year regardless of mileage if for some reason the bike wasn't ridden enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts