V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just finished up the install of a Avon 160x60x18 on my '02 Softail. Success is the only word to describe the accomplishment. Won't go into all the details now, but anyone that's interested in what it takes, just post and let me know and I'll five you all the details..

Perfectly centered in the middle of the fender and fills it proportionately. The look from the rear is awesome.

The good news for all 00-up Softail owners is that it CAN be done safely and reliably, without any clearance issues. Engineered this one myself. Trial and error, alot of planning, measuring and re-measuring all payed off.

DLR

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
DRL -

Nice job! Sure hope I can come up with something like it for my dyna.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
DLR, I am interested in the details!!!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know about the Deluxe. I was working with the stock '02 Softail Bobtail fender. Alot of trial and error before I got it right. A word to the wise to anyone who considers doing this to their bike....Measure everything 3 times. You'll need an assortment of axle spacers available or the ability to make your own.

When shifting the wheel / tire within the available fender space, you have to remember that the rotor must remain centered within the caliper. Repeatedly check your math.

Attached some pics of mine to give you an idea of fitment and clearances. Plenty of room between belt/tire, tire/frame. Haven't installed the belt guards as I'm waiting on my matching Weld Recluse pulley.

DLR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts