V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer is having a winter special. They will install a 1550 big bore kit for $499 including all parts and labor(and free pickup/drop off and free dyno run) . This price does not include the heavy duty clutch Spring. I already have the high flow SE air filter and map download on my 2002 FLHRCI. Do I really need the clutch spring? Just curious since it is listed as part of the stage 1 kit package in the catalog. I'm wondering what the pros/cons of spending the extra cash would be. I have to draw the line on expenses somewhere or it will never end.

Thanks for any feedback

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
dfs14580 said:
My dealer is having a winter special. They will install a 1550 big bore kit for $499 including all parts and labor(and free pickup/drop off and free dyno run) . This price does not include the heavy duty clutch Spring.

dfs14580,

MSRP on the big bore kit for EFI FLTs is $960. If you can get parts and labor for $500 bucks, WTF are you worrying about a few extra bucks for the clutch spring for?
Even if the fucken spring costs a couple hundred dollars you're still getting a sweet deal.

wyo

·
Registered
250 Posts
The performance clutch spring p/n 17048-98 is integral to the 1550 update and should be installed with the stock clutch. It is $20
The performance clutch kit p/n 37952-98A is not. It is $180.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that the clutch spring cost $200. Only that getting a 1550 BB kit installed for about half of the msrp of the parts alone was a great deal. And no matter what the cost of the clutch spring, its STILL a great deal. If the dealer is reputable, I jump at that offer.

regards,
wyo

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
wyodude said:
I didn't mean to imply that the clutch spring cost $200. Only that getting a 1550 BB kit installed for about half of the msrp of the parts alone was a great deal. And no matter what the cost of the clutch spring, its STILL a great deal. If the dealer is reputable, I jump at that offer.

regards,
wyo

Yea man !!!...

·
Registered
305 Posts
dfs14580 said:
My dealer is having a winter special. They will install a 1550 big bore kit for $499 including all parts and labor
I ain't buying it.

Are you sure he isn't quoting you a LABOR price of $499? Now that might sound reasonable.

As far as the heavier clutch spring goes, some folks been running high horsepower engines usning the standard come-from-the-factory clutch, others beef it up, others go to a whole new super-duper clutch set up of some kind. All depends on how you ride, I'm guessing.

If you want to save some labor $, tell the dealer you will install the heavier clutch spring yourself. $20 for the spring and about the same for a new primary cover gasket will get you through this - it's an easy install.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't think I added a different clutch spring with my stage 2 kit, unless the dealer just "threw it in" which I doubt. I have 7k miles since the stage2 w/ no problems, but I am not real hard on the clutch anyway.

Is this something i should ask to have installed at the 20K service? Any guess as to how much labor might cost?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Barnett has a cool upgrade much better than the diaphram spring. You use you stock basket but the outer hub is there own and it has 6 springs that are tunable. It looks like the scorpion but not as pricey and will hold most hot street motors. I think that last one I put in had 3 set of springs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should go for it even though the clutch install isn't on sale. With the 1550 I'll probably ride harder by instinct so maybe they'll work a deal on that too. I'm watching expenses because it is a spontaneous decision to do this now(VISA). The parts alone would be about $500 --not $900(no cam). But still a pretty good deal--and YES Everything -parts and labor for $499. The clutch Spring would add the price of the part, gasket and labor. I could do later, or have it done now. I won't do it myself--it's 25 degrees in my garage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a follow up, I'd like to add that the $499 didn't include the ECM calibration which was an additional $150. But I still had it done, and everything went well. The original cylinders are bored out to 95 at a race shop--which probably allows them a little breathing room on the cost vs buying them. All and all, it was still a good deal. Anyone who wants to visit freezing NY where the cycle business slows in the winter can take advantage of this opportunity for another month. See you in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Had the heads ported and polished on our low rider, high compression pistons, SE257cams, V&H pipes, new 44 carb Mikunie, Dynoed at 98tq and 92hp. Problem is, its my wifes bike, My SE Roadglide stage III cant touch it. View from behind is great!

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
A white bros ramp in the trap door will help on clutch pull effort it so desired. Cost is less than $30 easy install. The ramp reduce's effort by 40% or so.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I just had the stage 1 BB kit installed, clutch spring and all. I paid $422.50 just for labor at the dealer. Sounds like you are getting a "back door" arrangement, so far you won't be getting the recalibration and the clutch spring. Are they going to reuse your gaskets too? I don't think I would do it, something sounds not right. There is a definite harder pull on the clutch lever, nothing serious but bad for parades! I may look into the ramp that HDWrench is talking about. Gotta break it in again for 200 miles now.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
It's broke in and I got on her today to see what changed. Higher revs and I could tell the ease of passing without having to downshift. I am happy with the upgrade, even though it was kinda pricey!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts