V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forums. I'm sure this queston has been asked before. I have a stock 1991 FXRS and would like to put a 150 Dunlop on. Is there enough room inside the fender ? What mods have to be made, if any, to put it on.

Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Pretty sure a 140 was about max on the '84 FXRS I had and it was chain drive.

·
FXR
117 Posts
I have a 1985 FXR with a 150 Avon Super Venom. I had to space out the pulley on the wheel with a 3/8" spacer. My pulley came with a chrome cover that had to be removed, because the pulley is too close to the swingarm and rubbed with the cover. The axle also needed an extra bushing/washer or two between the swingarm and the pulley to help keep the swingarm from clamping in on the pulley. The belt rubs the tire a little bit when pushing the bike backwards, but doesn't rub when going forward. It is a very tight fit, but definitely doable. As for fitting under the fender, I haven't had any problems with rubbing. I'm running stock height, so I'm not sure if rubbing would be an issue on lowered bikes.

·
Banned
169 Posts
At one time I came across a compiled list of all the various and in what direction H-D wheel offsets are. Some years and models had very large (at least 3/8") offsets. Anyway, if memory serves me right the FXR had a wheel offset to the left. So in theory anyway and if this is actual fact, centering the FXR wheel should free up some space for a wider tire and more belt clearance. This may or my not require a custom pulley spacer. Sometimes depending on the spacer thickness, some of the wheel flange needs to be machined off so the spacer can be made with a locating flange for the pulley. I've never been keen about those flat faced pulley spacers that don't positively locate the pulley center hole.

Does anyone know of the list I'm talking about?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts