V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am going to install a 150 tire on the rear of my 2001 Fat Boy. A few questions about this: I understand I will need to get the wide tire rear caliper (don't want to buy the kit). I compared the wide tire caliper to the regular caliper and cannot tell any difference - does anyone know what the difference is? Also, out of curiosity, the 2003s come with a 150 tire, but all the rear parts seem interchangable with a 2001 - does anyone know what they did - specifically - to get the 150 tire to fit on the 2003?? Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
91 Posts
I put the 150 on my 2000 Fat Boy and just needed to shim the fender over to the left side of the bike with some washers..... that was it.

Bike looks great with fender filled with tire.

Not sure about the 2003 setup, have not seen one up close yet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
From what I have been told most FatBoys will take a 150 without the wide tire kit. I'll find out if mine does in another month.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking - a Harley dealer in Rochester Minnesota told me that a 150 tire would fit, but other dealers are indicating I need the kit. I was not going to buy the kit anyway - just the caliper (but only if I need to). And, it was very hard to see any real difference between the wide tire caliper and the stock one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
guys .keep us posted ..ask the stealer today about the 150 on my 02 fatboy..said it would cost 500 for the wide tire kit..seems to me that it would work fine without all that bull..

·
Registered
30 Posts
the difference is the left spacer is .100 longer (i have part no#) and the caliper has to be machined .100 and thats it. i have done many in my shop with no problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
but why would they have a wide tire kit?......Harley that is?...

for my fatboy they sell you a new rear sprocket belt etc....

terry, is the tire with your way of doing it "Centered in the fender well?....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prior to a certain year, cannot say for sure but it may be 1999, the wide tire kits for fatboys and other softails included a narrower pulley and belt to accomodate the wider tire. Post 2000 (again not real sure about the year) Harley adopted the narrower pulley and belt as a stock item. So, the wide tire kit for my 2002 FatBoy includes a 150 tire (which I can get anywhere for cheaper), a spacer for the left side of the axle, (which I have already bought separately), a new front mudguard (which isn't needed), a modified rear caliper, and a whole bunch of hardware (that I don't need either). I can get the tire for less than a hundred, and the spacer cost me $10. So........., if I can figure out how to modify the caliper (if this is needed at all) I am in the game! Terry, you mentioned that the caliper needed to be machined down 0.1 inches - could you explain what specifically needs to be machined? Do you have a shop do this for you? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
278 Posts
whats the part number for the spacer?....

and i would like to say the local wrench in my area say's....
you would not need all those parts....except to grind the caliper and the spacer..

:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am putting on a Metzler ME880 150/80-16 in a couple of weeks. I'm not planning on any modifications other than replacing the fender
strut bolts with shorter stainless steel bolts. I'll let you know how it goes.
if you're thinking of a 150 Dunlop?? you're on your own.....

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
2002 and before have a diff set up than 2003. Each manufacture of tires will have a diff measurement. Yes they are all 150’s but not exactly the same measurements. My 2001 can fit a 150 with no changes what so ever but not a HD (Dunlop). And if you put a 150 in you will need to turn the bolts out, make sure your wires are not being beaten up under the fender. Don’t need to buy a brake setup, just trim down the stock setup and add a space to the other side. You don’t have to buy an HD spacer. Any shop can grind a stainless piece to fit perfect. Just make sure you have room on both sides especially the BELT side.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok - very useful information from anyone. Some of y'all have referred to machining down or grinding the caliper - but can anyone tell me exactly where to do the machining and how much to take off?

·
Registered
171 Posts
meyerld...you have to keep the space in between the wheel and caliper
the same, the caliper has to line up with the rotor. Whatever you add to the left side spacer you'll have to take off the right side of the caliper (the outer, swingarm side where the axle goes through) usually .100" [ 1/10 of an inch] The "slot" which holds the caliper in place needs to be clearanced too. Then you'll want to check the clearance between the fender strut bolts (inside the fender) An easy way to gain clearance is to flip the bolts around and put on acorn nuts on the outside. Check the belt clearance at the bottom of the belt when backing up, thats when it will be the closest. I've seen belts rub backing up and be ok? riding. Might as well put some Lyndall brake pads on while you got it apart.....polish the rotors,chrome the rear axle/adjusters :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks - that is exactly what I needed to know. I will need to find a machine shop in my town to mill off the required amount of material from the caliper. I may as well chrome the rotor and get a new wife while I am at it. Larry

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Tex, do you know if installing the spacer on the left side, and machining out the caliper on the right side will result in the belt being misaligned with the primary (since the whole assembly is pushed over the right about 0.1 inches).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey everyone (esp. Tex), do y'all know if putting the spacer on the left side and machining out the caliper the same amount will result in the drive belt being out of line (since the rear wheel will be pushed a bit to the right). Any problems with the belt wearing because of this? Should be the same issue as if you install the wide tire kit.

Larry

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
Part Numbers

Can we get the part number for the spacer..

I understand what needs to be done but wont this effect the belt? you would think you need to add a shim betweent the sprocket and the rim..bob

·
Registered
171 Posts
Your only talking 1/10 of an inch......the alignment of the wheel would have more effect on the belt tracking. The belt will follow the rear sprocket and there is room on the front sprocket to track 1/10" over to the right.
This may be the wheel spacer # 41519-00

More info...... 150 on a '00 FatBoy

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
are we also saying that 99-02 are the same?

I am ready to hack the rear apart...I need to be sure..;)
bob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.