V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on putting a 150 16" front wheel on a 02 FXDL. I already have changed the trees to a wide glide conversion with the 39mm fork tubes, and still running the 19" with spacers for rotor.

I have a 3.00X16" wheel from a 02 Fatboy to use. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on axle or spacers? Does anyone see a problem with this setup?

:thanks:
Wizard

·
Registered
435 Posts
wizardcycle said:
I'm planning on putting a 150 16" front wheel on a 02 FXDL. I already have changed the trees to a wide glide conversion with the 39mm fork tubes, and still running the 19" with spacers for rotor.

I have a 3.00X16" wheel from a 02 Fatboy to use. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on axle or spacers? Does anyone see a problem with this setup?

:thanks:
Wizard
The only problem I can see is the axle diameter. The Fatboy wheel might take a larger dia axle that your 39mm forks are designed for.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
A few members here have done this, including myself and you'll find a lot of threads if you'd like to search. The axles on dynas and softails were the same in 02, 3/4 inch. I put a 16inch front wheel and tire off a Heritage on my
'02 FXD in '03. With a wide 39mm conversion you'll need to adjust the size of the axle spacers and get a proper size rotor spacer. Here's a couple pics of mine that have been seen on this board before.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I used a 39mm conversion from Ness. I don't notice any change in mpg but I usually don't watch it that much. As far as handling the only thing I noticed initially was, since the axle is now about a half inch lower to the ground than stock when turning at slow speed as in a parking lot the bike seemed to lean over quicker. I'm just a cruiser so I can't say much about extreme high speed handling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts