Do'in the chicken dance
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the ideal carb for a highly modfied 124

I currently have a super G carb on mine seems rather puny

·
GoFast!
263 Posts
Lets see, Mikuni 48, PSI Big Air (big money too), Super D.

Or you could bore out the G and install a couple of thunderjets.
But it still won't flow as well as the above carbs.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Carb

ATTILA said:
What would be the ideal carb for a highly modfied 124

I currently have a super G carb on mine seems rather puny
My first thoughts are to go straight to a D with dual T/jets. Probably won't be able to snap it wide open down low, just very quickly roll it on, but it will show off after that. BTW, the D's can be bored also. We have fixtures for that.
Scott

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
I have a G with Thunderjet,that works great,have a 45mm Mikuni to put on just haven't.Have read where 48mm Mikuni works good.Personally like my motors very crisp off idle,too big and they are a little numb out of the hole unless the R's are up.Good Luck

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
If you want a carb that will have the best manners no issues with any type of throttle input give me a call. The PSI will out perform all of the carbs listed and is the the most simple to tune. You do not need any jets, it is all done extrenal. Even the needle is done with bike off WOT and you move the needle up or down with a adjustment on the top of the carb. I run one on my little evo and I am nothing short of amazed at how well it pulls from idle to max rpm. And the pipes that are on it are not great at all a 2-1 that dumps right just behind the cam cover. And the carbs still does works extremely well.

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
If you want a carb that will have the best manners no issues with any type of throttle input give me a call. The PSI will out perform all of the carbs listed and is the the most simple to tune. You do not need any jets, it is all done extrenal. Even the needle is done with bike off WOT and you move the needle up or down with a adjustment on the top of the carb. I run one on my little evo and I am nothing short of amazed at how well it pulls from idle to max rpm. And the pipes that are on it are not great at all a 2-1 that dumps right just behind the cam cover. And the carbs still does works extremely well.
You should throw it on your Deuce and give us a 124" Big Air to EFI dyno comparison.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@gree:
HDWRENCH said:
If you want a carb that will have the best manners no issues with any type of throttle input give me a call. The PSI will out perform all of the carbs listed and is the the most simple to tune. You do do any jets, it is all done extrenal. Even the needle is done with bike off WOT and you move the needle up or down with a adjustment on the top of the carb. I run one on my little evo and I am nothing short of amazed at how well it pulls from idle to max rpm. And the pipes that are on it are not great at all a 2-1 that dumps right just behind the cam cover. And the carbs still does works extremely well.
@gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree:

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
We had a gear head customer who insisted that we change out his G for a D on a 127 and lost power. I just talked to the guys at R&R Cycle and found out that they tested a Big Air on a 96" S&S engine and they got 10 more torque and HP and it came on quicker in the rpm range.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
PSI Big Air

We have not tuned with those on our dyno, so I cannot speak in regards to them. They could be the best thing since the electic can opener. I do not know that. What I do know is that an S&S D is capable of flowing 279 cfm @ 10". They are not in any way a very sophistcated carb, just a tube with a wick, and have been manufactured for about 25 years. In the hands of someone that knows how work with them, and understands the Thunderjets, they can be made to work very,very well.
Scott

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Scott

I am sure if you gave Bruce a call at PSI he would get you one out if you have a build that is going together , give it a try. Not to mention you will never have to remove the float bowl or spend a bunch of time jetting, it is all done extrenal including the needle.I have used several of them thus far and every time they have been better than the S&S carbs with thunder jets and extrenal air bleed. They gain more power but that is not as big deal as the drivablity that the PSI has over any S&S. I have one on a 80 inch evo that is amazing, as the motor is nothing special .

They really are the elite of carbs. As they will work on stockers up to full drag engines. That in it's self is a feat all alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts