V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awile since I've been on this forum..Hope everybody is well!!
I have an 05 deluxe and the crank shifted...motor is tore down and as luck may have it my service contract is paying for the repair....so....now is the oppurtune time to make performance mods. I want to do a 124 ..will be using short block charlies vortec 1 heads, S&S 4 5/8 wheels with either S&S or Axtell cylinders, 10.75 comp, woods cams either tw408g or tw62g's, baisleys relief spring, fueling oil pump, cam support, and lifters, somebody's good oil cooler system, S&S roller rockers, smith brothers pushrods, and Latus's new variable venturi throttle body( prob 50 or 52 mm as recommended by Mike stegman) , stock v rod injectors, pro pipe, and race tuner tuned by Elliot at Powerstroke Performance cycles in Tempe AZ. One of the questions I have is .....AM I GOING TO HAVE OVERHEATING ISSUES WITH THIS????..I'm putting alot of my own money in this build and don't want to have to tinker and dink around with this on a weekly basis. I do live in Phoenix and this is a concern of mine....Comments please....Thanks!!!!!
 

·
Let er rip!
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
Are they going to weld the crank pin?

You can talk to Randy about saving some money on the oil pump upgrade, and put that money saved into the R&R cam plate. That will for sure help it run cooler.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
292 Posts
call steve @ gr perf

azdeluxe said:
Been awile since I've been on this forum..Hope everybody is well!!
I have an 05 deluxe and the crank shifted...motor is tore down and as luck may have it my service contract is paying for the repair....so....now is the oppurtune time to make performance mods. I want to do a 124 ..will be using short block charlies vortec 1 heads, S&S 4 5/8 wheels with either S&S or Axtell cylinders, 10.75 comp, woods cams either tw408g or tw62g's, baisleys relief spring, fueling oil pump, cam support, and lifters, somebody's good oil cooler system, S&S roller rockers, smith brothers pushrods, and Latus's new variable venturi throttle body( prob 50 or 52 mm as recommended by Mike stegman) , stock v rod injectors, pro pipe, and race tuner tuned by Elliot at Powerstroke Performance cycles in Tempe AZ. One of the questions I have is .....AM I GOING TO HAVE OVERHEATING ISSUES WITH THIS????..I'm putting alot of my own money in this build and don't want to have to tinker and dink around with this on a weekly basis. I do live in Phoenix and this is a concern of mine....Comments please....Thanks!!!!!
lucky you,give steve a call @ gmr perf,he will be able to help u with any question u have.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,508 Posts
Heads/Cams

I'll chime in and make mention, that the 408 will deliver, but good. We have seen over 160 ft/lbs in 124's @ 3300-3500 rpms with the 400. Wicked bagger combo.
Scott
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
I'll chime in and make mention, that the 408 will deliver, but good. We have seen over 160 ft/lbs in 124's @ 3300-3500 rpms with the 400. Wicked bagger combo.
Scott

Very NICE TQ................:thanks:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R&R cylinder heads???

OK..done some checking with Randy king of cubes.....who's using the R&R cylinder heads...Do you like em??? Do they run that much cooler?...Sounds like a good product..just looking for some feedback

Thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
azdeluxe said:
OK..done some checking with Randy king of cubes.....who's using the R&R cylinder heads...Do you like em??? Do they run that much cooler?...Sounds like a good product..just looking for some feedback

Thanks

I like my R&R Heads on my 124"...........



{salute( :spank: {salute(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
443 Posts
azdeluxe said:
OK..done some checking with Randy king of cubes.....who's using the R&R cylinder heads...Do you like em??? Do they run that much cooler?...Sounds like a good product..just looking for some feedback

Thanks
I have the R&R cast heads on my 124". I am happy with them ... and they were a bargain compared to the price of other options .... or even having the stock heads re-worked. Getting TQ & HP in the mid 150's with a T-Man 650 Cam ... and running a little rich.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
168 Posts
azdeluxe said:
OK..done some checking with Randy king of cubes.....who's using the R&R cylinder heads...Do you like em??? Do they run that much cooler?...Sounds like a good product..just looking for some feedback

Thanks
Quality parts built by quality people. Not only are the R&R heads second to none but their customer service is top notch. I have had the cast heads and now have the billet heads and have been very happy with the performance of both. They have great flow which results in a much quicker revving motor. With my current build I have noticed quite a decrease in operating temperatures. R&R stands behind their products 100%. I had a minor cosmetic issue with the powder coating and R&R went to great lengths to remedy the problem. Reggie Sr. insisted on providing me with an upgrade to a set of billet heads due to the length of time and inconvenience. You seldom see that kind customer service now days. This is why I recently purchased the R&R camplate. Thanks again Reggie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I recently had R&R do a compleate 124 in my 03 FLTH. I can't say enough good things about it. You only go this way one time and this is the way to go.
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
Are you speaking of the cast heads? We use them on a very regular basis, they run very well. If you have questions feel free to give us a call we are nto far from you , you can see a set we have here on the shelf.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
847 Posts
Whats the performance difference between the cast and the billet heads?A picture of both heads would be nice.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
todd comer said:
Whats the performance difference between the cast and the billet heads?A picture of both heads would be nice.

Unless your trying to extract every ounce of HP & TQ the difference in price isn't worth the difference in performance gains.

The cast according to R&R website will only fit up tp 124".

The Billet sure do look nicer without a doubt. but approximately $1400.00 difference.




{salute( :spank: {salute(
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
Well there are a few version of the billet head. The heads that are being used on the 131 we are building are the oval port heads.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
I HAVE R&R HEADS ON MY 124" BUILD........... I ALSO HAVE A SET OF R&R STAGE 4 HEADS LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME (PM ME).


{salute( :spank: {salute(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
687 Posts
just put r&r stage 4 heads on an 08 screamin' eagle dyna 110"...wife has 07 dyna 96" and street ported heads..we went for 10 mi ride tonight and shot with ir gun...hers 260 and mine 240...mines just running a canned map, hasn't even been tuned
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
443 Posts
todd comer said:
Whats the performance difference between the cast and the billet heads?A picture of both heads would be nice.
I asked that same question when I got my heads ... the answer I got from R&R was that on a 124" build ... the only difference ... was about $1000. They are basically the same, cast was just a less expensive alternative to the billit ...and R&R can put the cast heads on their CNC machine to "Adjust" them as necessary.

NOW ... with the billit heads they start from scratch with a fresh block of aluminum and can throw any number of special programs on them. But for overall street performance, the standard programs for the cast heads and the Billit heads are the same, and they both come in various configurations.

NOTE - The also told me that they can take stock heads ... weld them, and throw any of their programs on them also.

At least, this was the answer I got last winter.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
thundercatken said:
I asked that same question when I got my heads ... the answer I got from R&R was that on a 124" build ... the only difference ... was about $1000. They are basically the same, cast was just a less expensive alternative to the billit ...and R&R can put the cast heads on their CNC machine to "Adjust" them as necessary.

NOW ... with the billit heads they start from scratch with a fresh block of aluminum and can throw any number of special programs on them. But for overall street performance, the standard programs for the cast heads and the Billit heads are the same, and they both come in various configurations.

NOTE - They also told me that they can take stock heads ... weld them, and throw any of their programs on them also.

At least, this was the answer I got last winter.


You are correct, they are machining heads with the same technic today. I talked to Reggie Sr. and Art yesterday about heads and ordered another set. See post # 20 From King Of Cubes he explained it even further.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
I believe things have advanced a little bit at R&R. The welded and ported o.e.m. heads can't be ported with the current stage 5 (R&R cast head) program because the stage 5 is a 1.800" raised port that goes from 291 to 310 cfm (which is the same as the billet round port head). Now they offer the raped ape oval port head in the stock tc bolt pattern (along with other popular bolt patterns like Jims 120) which start at 340 to 360 cfm's and can go up higher. The raped ape oval port heads have a larger volume combustion chamber so we have a cnc program to machine the piston domes for the higher compression applications.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top