V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The throttle blade shaft cracked threw the two screws that secure the throttle blade. The 2 screws and chuck of shaft went into the rear cylinder at 75mph on the interstate. Went wide open throttle, and I hit the kill switch. I haven't opened the engine yet, but I clearly see a screw and the shaft piece laying on top of the rear piston. I plan to open it up on my next time-off schedule, Just preparing for the worst news. I can buy new heads, what I can't buy are jugs and pistons. Does anyone have any of these in their inventory?

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,757 Posts
If you're replacing pistons then you will need machine work done. If you're having machine work done then you can pick any similar sized piston you want and hone/bore your jugs accordingly, assuming those pieces didn't dig too deep into the cylinder wall.

Get it apart and see what you really have to work with, then you can start putting a parts list together that makes sense and isn't a mish-mash of random pieces. You certainly don't need to use SE parts, or even Harley parts if you don't want to. You might even be able to salvage the heads if you have someone nearby who knows what they are doing. If not, there are some folks on here who can help out. Big Boyz Head Porting comes to mind.

How much work do you plan to do yourself vs farming out to a shop(s)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I plan on doing everything myself, aside from machine work, if needed. The bore scope didn't reveal any real damage. Just some specks on top of piston where some carbon was removed. I suspect the same for the head. I've already bought a new throttle body, all gaskets and seals. Fingers crossed, I'll pull it apart next week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts