V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get all my ducks in a row and make the odds and end purchases here before I purchase the final 120 crate motor...
I've got a 09 FLHX and have always prefered the look of the dual exhaust system over the 2-1
The Million $ question here is from what I have gathered the 120 needs some room to breath...From the intake being increased in size to the dia. of the exhaust header pipes...
I can appreciate that and grasp most of the reasoning for this...My question is going back to the true duals...Who offers a dual header pipe that will breath with this new motor...
Rhineharts are a stepped header pipe very much sized like the bosszilla header pipe which by the way is one of the exhaust systems suggested to run on the 120R...Now with the Rhineharts headers there factory muffler are from what little bit I know is the only ones that will fit there headers...
The question I ask is there another manufacture out there that offers a true tuned dual header system in the 1 7/8" / 2" dia. and have a better performance muffler then the Rhineharts?
I'm not quite ready to go bosszilla at this time...
thanks

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
The question I ask is there another manufacture out there that offers a true tuned dual header system in the 1 7/8" / 2" dia. and have a better performance muffler then the Rhineharts?

Maybe Wild Things, Crusher System
Or Cycle Shack
Or Wengler (OUCHY$$$)

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Jim aka strokerjlk has the traditional handicap rails, oh i mean rhineharts on his 120r.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
TXChop, just for the sake of clarity, that was using two different cams with the same exhaust, right? Help me out here. -Tutt

·
Registered
412 Posts
May I offer a diff approach..

I run 120" and a 127" Evo's..

I also run the 1.750" (1 3/4" stock size headers) on both..
Mechanics is mechanics and I simply do not believe being a Twinky motor changes the needs of exhaust flow..

When I had the big S&S motors, in the recommendations instructs, S&S recommended stock size 1 3/4" headers And muffs for best perf..

Ultima also recommends stock size 1 3/4" headers and muffs for best perf for it's Big motors..

A larger OD allows the pulse to expand more and lose some a the exhaust heat & velocity.. That affects scavenge & intake..
Then you lose perf especially in the lower Rpm "city" running..

Also,, here's something to consider,, if the big motors were supposed to run larger OD headers,, well heck,,, the exhaust ports would be larger..

This is all very common knowledge if you research a wee more..

Soooo, perhaps consider this..
Run your current headers/muffs, or freer flow muffs,, they will fit,, and have something to compare if you do decide to try a larger OD set down the road..
You won't know unless you try em first..

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
My 124 with True Duals stock pipe dia. (tuned) and Klockworks mufflers designed specifically for the 124"works and sounds fantastic.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Trying to get all my ducks in a row and make the odds and end purchases here before I purchase the final 120 crate motor...
I've got a 09 FLHX and have always prefered the look of the dual exhaust system over the 2-1
The Million $ question here is from what I have gathered the 120 needs some room to breath...From the intake being increased in size to the dia. of the exhaust header pipes...
I can appreciate that and grasp most of the reasoning for this...My question is going back to the true duals...Who offers a dual header pipe that will breath with this new motor...
Rhineharts are a stepped header pipe very much sized like the bosszilla header pipe which by the way is one of the exhaust systems suggested to run on the 120R...Now with the Rhineharts headers there factory muffler are from what little bit I know is the only ones that will fit there headers...
I'm not quite ready to go bosszilla at this time...
thanks
The r/h t/d. And V&H T/D headpipes for your 09 are diff from the earlier t/d models.
the front pipe runs down and back to the tranny,under the bike and turns and connects to the left side muffler (long run). The rear head pipe runs down and connects to the right muffler. Short run. This makes for a tuning challenge.if you got the tuning covered,if I remember correct you have one of the best Imo in Texas. Talk to your tuner and see what he suggest.
These motors respond well to about any performance pipe. Curve moves around a little.
at 10:3 compression they dont absolutely need huge head pipes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts