Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a 2001 883 Custom

I have SE pipes and AC installed, but want more power

Dealer states 4 choices

Bore out existing jugs w/ 1200 pistons
HD 1200 jugs and pistons (factory)
HD 1200 jugs and pistons (.010) w/ SE heads
Buell jugs and pistons

One dealer says put on a s&s carb kit on too.

What is the best for just wanting more power with out killing the wallet???

·
Registered
701 Posts
Bore jugs and use forged pistons. The original CV carb can handle the simple upgrade. Adding a Dynojet kit would also be recommended. If you are going to put a set of heads and install a cam, I would then suggest upgrading to a 44mm Khein or S&S carb. Mikuni HSR42 cabs are also nice but have heard complaints about drivability and WOT being sluggish at first.

Wiseco Forged piston kit is $228.56 (This kit will work with the stock 883 heads) I would suggest 9.5:1 compression for just regular cruising. 10:1 or higher if you are planning to install a mild cam and have some headwork done.
Boring the cylinders should cost about $150 per cylinder

Install the 1200 kit is actually pretty straight forward. Purchase the service manual for your year bike and go from there. My first time doing the upgrade took a day to dissasemble and reassemble and another day for tuning. She ran great from that point on until I had a piston fail.

One more thing, DON'T GO CHEAP ON PISTONS! If you plan on running the bike hard, it will come back to bite you.

A couple of other things to consider is having the rotating assembly static and dynamic balanced. This will help with creating more reliable hp and also reduce vibration. Doing this though does require the whole engine being removed and having the cases split apart. It's going to run me about $450 - $500 to have it balanced but in the long run will be very helpful with extending the life of the motor.

I read somewhere online that someone did a 84" upgrade to their brand new 883 Sportster and found that the tolerances were no where near what they are supposed to be coming directly from the factory. I think the bike had 11 miles on it. If I can find the article, I'll post it on here.

I hope this will help you out. Feel free to ask me any other questions. If I don't know it off the top of my head, I know people that would know.

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now here is the next part...

Local Harley dealer has 25% off of Screaming Eagle parts right now if you are a HOG member (which I am)....

If I go with the Stock 1200 pistons, 1200 stock jugs, (or should I get the the Forged pistons that are standard bore?) Should I get the SE ignition system, SE coil and wire plugs???

These all fall under the discount, so I want to stay with SE parts for the discount.

With the install, I am not sure if I want to tackle that one....

·
Registered
465 Posts
Have you considering upgrading to a 1200 in comparable condition? I'll bet you have a pretty good idea of what you'll have in parts to do the conversion. What is the market price difference between your bike and a 1200? If the market value difference is less than parts and labor I'd probably shop around for a 1200. Of course, financial sense doesn't necessarily trump sentimental value.

Chilly

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the look of the 883 custom with the solid wheel and the bike in general. I I change bikes, it would be to a deuce and I don't what to make that jump yet.

I do want to go to a 1200, but want the opinions of the best way to do this for performance and not to kill the wallet

·
Registered
701 Posts
Boring out a 883 to a 1200 with no serious modifications other than size will always be faster light to light compared to a stock 1200. Main reason is that the gearing is different from one to another. When I did just the 1200 jugs and pistons, I was walking away from slightly modified 1200's. if you are looking for top end performance, which you would be nuts if you were, the 1200 gearing is better at highway cruising and top end.

the deals on the SE parts sparked an interest in me. How long is this sale going? As for SE parts, they are reliable and will probably be covered under the warranty of the bike since they are Harley parts. I still HIGHLY suggest the forged pistons.

The difference between forged and cast:

Forged pistons are created under pressure thus removing all air pockets out of the casting.

Regular cast pistons are just poured into a mold and cooled to shape. Since the casting was not created under pressure, there is always a possability that the stock piston might have air in the casting causing it to be a weaker mold.

The screamin eagle is a nice setup and have thought about going that route with my ignition system. There is not much to them for fine tuning but they are reliable and easy to set up.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Frist for 150 bucks you can buy a new jug, more like 50 or 75 bucks per jug for boreing.

I can only add that if I where to do it over again I would buy new jugs. Forget the "seasoned" jugs on a 883, there is two much materal that needs to be removed. You can brake in the new jugs & pistons at the same time.

The norm 883-1200 with reverse dome 9.5:1 or 10:1 CR piston ave yealds 60 HP done by most dealers.

My bike duno in at 65 HP. The differance "HOME PORTING" check my other post on the matter for how to.

How far do you want to go? Its realy about $$$$, mine cost me 350 bucks two years ago... Good luck.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Very possible that my pricing is off on how much it costs with the cylinders being bored. I was lucky enough to have the chance of boring them myself and saving the extra money.

New 1200 cylinders are $134.95 from Harley. If you can get 25% off on that then jump on it.I think the cylinder wall thickness is actually different from the 883 cylinders and 1200 cylinders.

SE Forged 10:1 pistons are $279 a pair. Everything to do the upgrade should be included with the pistons. Ask the mechanics about using total seal rings instead of the rings that come with the kit.

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The jugs look different Smokey???? I thought they was the same...

OK.. If I get the 1200 jugs, with the standard bore, 9.5:1 or the 10:1 forged, what is the real difference... I know power, but how much?? if I get the standard bore there is nothing else, but if I get the other, dont the new pistons have to be bored???

·
Registered
701 Posts
1200 Jugs are usually painted black whereas 883 jugs are usually aluminum.

I don't know the numbers exactly. The bike will wake up a lot when bored to 1200. With what I did to my bike before the piston fiasco, I pushed about 65hp with a bad head gasket. I believe a stock 883 sporty pushes 45hp and 1200 sporty is around 56. I'll let you know once I locate the formula.

but if I get the other, dont the new pistons have to be bored???
What is other?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
HD1200R said:
I think the cylinder wall thickness is actually different from the 883 cylinders and 1200 cylinders.

Whooops, the jugs are the same. The thing is the casting of 1200 jugs is much thinner, hence less materal to machine. The more you machine the more "OFF" machining can be , thats was my point.

My jugs can never be use again, the bore is now "off center" to the casting of the jugs. They have lasted nearly 20 K miles but when I need to rebuild Ill have new jugs(have to).

·
Registered
701 Posts
Kags said:
HD1200R said:
I think the cylinder wall thickness is actually different from the 883 cylinders and 1200 cylinders.

Whooops, the jugs are the same. The thing is the casting of 1200 jugs is much thinner, hence less materal to machine. The more you machine the more "OFF" machining can be , thats was my point.

My jugs can never be use again, the bore is now "off center" to the casting of the jugs. They have lasted nearly 20 K miles but when I need to rebuild Ill have new jugs(have to).
LOL, I guess that is a given then. The reason I thought the jugs were different was because of the numbers they say that you can bore the 883 cylinders out.

According to the manual, the farthest that you can bore the 883 cylinders out to are 3.0398 in. which is no where near the 1200 std. bore of 3.4978. I too always thought the jugs were the same until I read this. Since then has always made me skeptical. I know that the cylinders on my bike came off an 883. I bored them out to 1200cc and they have done great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts