V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying ether a 1200 Sporty or a Dyna Super Glide. I know most of you would go with the Dyna, but the $3000.00 is a big jump in price. Are there many differences to go the extra money now or should I go with the Sporty now and graduate to the Dyna later? Does anyone have any good pics of a 2003 Dyna Super Glide other than the ones that are on HD's home page?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The FXD is well worth the extra 3 G's if thats all you have to pay. Besides a bigger rubber mount motor, stiffer frame, bigger seat , bigger everthing,smoother ride,higher resale value,bigger HP inprovement for the $$ if ever wanted, more aftermarket parts for, all around a little better investment the FXD is truly a Big Twin.

The Sporty on the other hand is less for insurance(not much) handles lighter and is much easer to back up. Your choice? Also if insurance /money is a issue, getting the 883 and have a converson done saves some bucks. I wont tell nobody you really have a 1200.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
If you decide on the Dyna you will no be disappointed. These bikes breathe fire! The Sportsters are okay but you would most likely lust for a big twin before long. My advice would be to dress warm and go to Electric City H-D(I wouldn't but you're closer to them and I have Issues with them but that's another story!) and take a couple test rides if they'll let you. If not, take your money to Baer H-D in Honesdale and they'll oblige your every need! Super dealership! Great folks!

Happy scooter shopping...

SS

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Easy, go with the Dyna, that 3K buys you alot of bike!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
The 1200 Sporty is a pretty good bike, but in about 6 months or so, you will wished you went with the Dyna.............................I was in that boat once and had people tell me the same exact thing. I've sold my Sporty and bought a Electra Glide Standard.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My advise,,,, GET on the saddle that is comfortable for your lifestyla and within your means and enjoy!!!!
If you really cant swing the Superglide right now and dont think that you will be able to come spring,,, get the sporty. All the previous posts are quite true and I agree with the opinions BUT when I am starving hungry, I DONT hold out for my favorite meal. ALSO,,,, just an FYI,,,My buddy has the 1200 sport and he keeps paces with us bigger bores quite well. Actually him and I stay on it into the twisties and back off when the road straightens out to let the others catch up.
If you get your heart set on the Dyna (as mine is on mine) do what is necessary to make it happen financially but be aware that being broke is NO fun no matter what is in the garage. If you can enjoy the sporty, afford it somewhat comfortably, and are willing to trade up if the urge posesses you later,,,, GET YOU a ride and ENJOY!!!!!!
Dont balk at the sporty if it appeals to you,,, it is one FUN and exciting rig!!!! Let me know how you make out,,, I'll take a ride up and we'll shoot some curves either way!!!!
Party On!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yeah, I would probably go with the Dyna. Just read in a British MC Magazine (T.W.O - Two Wheels Only), the Dyna Super Glide is their favorite Harley. They have an appreciation for sporting rides, which I can appreciate.

Do want to throw out an idea from left field. I am having a hoot of a time on my '02 Buell Cyclone M2. Beefed up 1200 Sportster engine. Great handling. The performance leaves my two big twins wheezing. Later Buell models are well sorted -- have had zero problems. Can pick up leftover '02 models CHEAP. Besides, H-Ds are everywhere ;) .

Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll take up the cause of happy Sportster riders, as opposed to those poor saps that buy a Sportster and never enjoy it.
I'm assuming you're looking to finance this bike, as most people these days do:
To buy a 1200 standard at MSRP of about $8,500, you're looking at paying around $160/month at 5% for 60 months.
To buy a Superglide at MSRP of about $12,500, you're looking at paying around $235/month at 5% for 60 months.
For a difference of $75/month.
That $75/month is alot of money to me and to most people I know. Of course, if you've only got a $3k differential in price, then the difference is "only" $56/month, still a good chunk of change. You could always spend that $56-$75 on parts and crap every month, saving for a month or two for the big items. You know you're going to wind up spending cash on the bike if you can afford to anyway.

With all of that said, if you're not financing (or using a home equity loan or something else where you get the money in one big chunk), you could build one hell of a badass Sporty for $12,500. Get yourself an 883 standard for $6,255, and spend $6k on go-faster parts. If you do the work yourself, you wouldn't need to spend half of that amount. Nallin 1250 kit, dual floating discs for the front, good exhaust and intake, check the sportster list (www.sportster.org) for more tips.

Personally, I like my Sportster (its a 1200 sport), and I eat BTs for lunch mod for mod. Of course, the HP/weight ratio keeps me ahead of most BTs, since my bike weighs less, and typically I weigh less too.

This all pre-supposes that you like to go fast, work on bikes, make people that don't cry.....basically that you're like me. If you're not like me, and have the $$ to spare, I'd say go for the Dyna. You'll be more comfortable on longer rides, and your friends won't make fun of you;) . Just realistically look at what you're going to use the bike for. I ride around town more often than anything else, and rarely go out of town more than 200 miles in a day. After having gone 200 miles on a Sporty though, I don't think I'd mind it much further, I just need a good seat.

Ok, I've rambled on long enough.....

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Now, it's your call

Louc, you've just gotten some pretty good counsel. Every word you've read above is true, at least from the perspective of the writer.

One other thought: used bike cost. You can often times find a good deal on a late model used Sportster. Good deals on late model Big Twins are much less common.

A Sportster is a fun bike. NO question. But a final thought: my girl Leece (huckelberry1) purchased a 2001 1200 XLC. She "outgrew" the bike within a year and now has a Dyna.

Now, it may be up to you to simply make the call. You know your riding habits. You know your preferences. You know your finances. Do it. Decide which bike and go for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never understood that phrase "outgrew a sportster". What does that mean? Do you need to tote more crap? Did you physically grow? How does going slower equal "growing"? Or does one simply get older and need a geezer bike like the Ultra Classic?;)

I rode to Orlando last week, and I passed tons of BTs on my Sporty, most of them on trailers.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Owning both a big twin and a Sportster, I can tell you that I like the big twin for long trips and the Sportster for screaming around town. It's all going to depend on your riding habits.

Gotta agree with Norman about outgrowing a Sportster. :D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Get a part time job to make the extra $$$ so you can afford the Glide.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think what most people mean by "outgrow a Sportster" is that everyone is comfortable starting out with a physically smaller bike. The light weight and easy reach to the ground is reassuring. Once you become comfortable with riding, the Sportster can feel quite cramped if you are over average height (maybe even less than average).

If Louc feels there is a good chance he will trade up he should go ahead and get the Dyna. Between paying sales tax on both bikes and taking a depreciation loss on the Sporty you would be better off financially and have a better bike (IMHO) with the Dyna.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think it comes down to what feels confortable for you . Which ever bike you choose you probably won't feel you made the right decission(Second Guess Curse). My brother went through this same decission a few months ago. He was looking at the 1200 sport and the dyna and i told him to sit on the bike's and see how they felt . The dyna and the 1200 were a little to high for him , then he sat on a 883 hugger and it was perfect height and feel he was concerned about the lower cc's but i told him he could allways stage two the engine if he felt the need . He loves the bike and he has no plans to upgrade the engine, he is too busy with chrome fever.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maj said:
Once you become comfortable with riding, the Sportster can feel quite cramped if you are over average height (maybe even less than average).
I'm 6'-1", don't know if that's above or below average. Virtually any bike can, and probably should, be tailored to fit an individual with a new seat and bars.

I will say that if you're 6' +, over 250lbs, and above the age of about 40, you might look a little silly on a Sportster, but that's only if you care. Very likely, the same person that cares would already be worried about what his friends will think when he pulls up on a girl's bike. All the guys I work with ride BTs, and like to give me a ration of sh!t about having a girl's bike. Somehow a challenge to race for pinks always shuts them up. I also get called a rub sine I'm in management and all the other riders are in the field, but this Rub's girlie bike is parked in the parking lot more than all their bikes combined. When I got here this morning, there was another BT in the back of someone's truck. If the BTs are so much more comfortable, why are they always the ones being trailered/towed?

I agree though that if you're interested in taking long trips the Dynas, expecially the new TC88 motors, are probably more comfortable. I wouldn't know since I've only ever ridden Sporties and Buells.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Norman74 said:

All the guys I work with ride BTs, and like to give me a ration of sh!t about having a girl's bike.

This attitude has always struck me as ironic. When I started riding (28 bikes ago), K models and Sporties were the hot rods of the motorcycle world and BT's were the 'grandpa' bikes only old farts were seen on. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts