V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install saddlebag supports on my 2002 1200 custom. I have already put on the turn signal relocation kit on but I don't know how to put the supports on. Do you have to mount the front of the support to the top shock bolt? Please help, The supports are the only thing holding me back from getting my bags installed.

P.S. If I do have to mount the supports to the top shock bolt, is there a lot of tention on the shock? Will I have trouble getting them back on? What is the bast way to remove them?

Thanks-a-million, D.J. Jenkins

·
Registered
875 Posts
Do you have to mount the front of the support to the top shock bolt? Please help, The supports are the only thing holding me back from getting my bags installed.

P.S. If I do have to mount the supports to the top shock bolt, is there a lot of tention on the shock? Will I have trouble getting them back on? What is the bast way to remove them?

Yes the front mounts to the shock bolt, when my supports came they didnt provide the longer bolts, I had to buy new ones from home depot, and I bought stainless steel for the xtra strength. The support came with new covers for the top of the shocks, they did not have big enough holes and I had to drill them out. You can see in the pic where the support mounts to. I did the right side of the bike first. When you take the shock loose the rear of the bike will drop about a inch. When I went to put the bolt back in after replacing with a longer one and running it thru the new cover, support and then shock I had to lift up on the fender with one hand and start the bolt with the other. When I did the left side try as I may I could not lift it. This is the side it was leaning to while the kick stand supported it. I eventually had to remove the bottom shock connection. Put the top bolt in and then reattach the bottom. To answer your question there was not a lot of tension

1 - 2 of 2 Posts