V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used 113 Ultima I put in my 98 Dyna everything was good for a few hundred miles then I started getting a ticking sound in the top end it got worse once warmed up. It was getting louder so I got off the freeway and it died at the stop sign I pushed it to a buddies house left it there for the night. The next day I adjusted the pushrods it started up fine but there was a loud clacking sound. Do you think my push rods are to loose or a lifter could be failing?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
not sober all the time
5,249 Posts
If you just adjusted them, why would you ask, "Do you think my push rods are to loose..."? If they were not adjusted properly they could be too loose. I didn't find an introduction thread nor did you leave much information in this thread so we don't know if you have mechanical skills or not. The "clacking sound" may not even be valvetrain related. Who knows?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I got a little ahead of my self and pulled the nose cone and pulled my cam out with the nose cone. I have adjustable Ultima push rods mw 264 cam and jims lifters. What do you think of the pictures and when I get ready to install it how do I get the timing right do I just get tdc on the front cylinder or how do I go about doing it.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
I cant tell much if anything from the pics,,, lay the cam on its side and let's see the lobes on a 90° angle... pull the lifters and check the rollers closely.. look for debris down in the cam chest,, with a magnet,, pull the breather valve check it for grooves as well as the bore..

I've seen a rash of broken rocker stands reciently,,, wierd..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's looks to be wear where the breather gear slides in And there is a small amount on metal shavings.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
yeah the cam is fried,,, looks like the hard face is gone,, the frosty color tells me that,,, also the inner bearing is toast,,, check the lifter rollers closely,,, the surface that touches the cam,,, a little something has been through the bresther,,, looks insignificant..

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Trash the lifters since they have been riding on that cam and you have a possible lifter bleed down problem anyway.I would flush the oil tank before putting it back together.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trash the lifters since they have been riding on that cam and you have a possible lifter bleed down problem anyway.I would flush the oil tank before putting it back together.
Thank i appreciate all the help. What lifters would you recommend. Also maybe a more streetable cam

·
Registered
104 Posts
The thing that hits me as weird is the two makes of lifters. I don't think anyone ever says "I want to install two different makes of lifters in my motor". To me anyway it seems like either the issue wasn't correctly addressed the first time and they ate a couple more lifters or else maybe a couple of friends gave him some lifters to get it up and running. It just sounds odd.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts