V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I put 11" progressive 412 shocks on my 99' FXDX with out any problems. Stock are 12.6" I want to lower the rear as much as possible with the progressive black shocks.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I'd probably lean more towards the 11 1/2 inch shocks. Unless you get the ones with the heavy duty springs. If you do that though your ride quaility will suffer. Just my opinion though.

Right now I've got 12 inch Lowrider shocks on my Super Glide. I'm pretty happy with them, although I know the Progressive shocks are a much better shock.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had 11 inch 412's on my 1998 FXD it bottomed out alot. even damage my rear fender at the brake caliper from hitting it. I wouldn't go with the 11 inchers. I put 11.5 440's on with the heavy duty springs which stopped the bottoming out. It rides a little harder but not bad at all. also helps when riding two up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
rbrent said:
I had 11 inch 412's on my 1998 FXD it bottomed out alot. even damage my rear fender at the brake caliper from hitting it. I wouldn't go with the 11 inchers. I put 11.5 440's on with the heavy duty springs which stopped the bottoming out. It rides a little harder but not bad at all. also helps when riding two up.
Same thing happened to my brother's 92 FXDB. The rear fender really took a beating from the brake caliper. He switched back to the stock shocks for the time being. Good Luck

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
11 1/2" is as low as you want to go. I've got them on same ride as yours and may just go to 12". They're a bit on the stiff side but two up it may be right on. Just afraid the caliper would say hello to the fender in the wrong situation. No problems in a few hundred miles but the stand is a pain in the ass. May have to go to a shoter one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dynas with 11" shocks are to low. Friend dumped bike on railroad tracks w/11
" came to a sudden halt w/case gaurd high centering. I run 11 1/2" with no problems but still have to watch my clearance at times. The 11"s are also very harsh in the travel department.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
mtnkarter said:
Dynas with 11" shocks are to low. Friend dumped bike on railroad tracks w/11
" came to a sudden halt w/case gaurd high centering. I run 11 1/2" with no problems but still have to watch my clearance at times. The 11"s are also very harsh in the travel department.
What he said!
I want to try a pair of 12" come spring to see if it's exactly what I want. Once I'm satisfied, I may use that base for ride hieght and maybe fabricate a sidehack for the sick bitch. A friend of mine has a small machine shop and is a wizard. I'm sure he could work off my plans to fab up precision frame mounting brackets complete w/slugs for proper attatchmet of round tube. Another good buddy of mine is a master welder/fabricator. Built a Sporty trike for a dudes wife that won its class in a world of wheels show. Between us, we should be able to whip up something pretty wicked! If and when I do this, it would be an opportune time to do up a jockey shift since I'd no longer have to worry about tipping over if I forget to put my foot down.^rolleyez^

·
Registered
435 Posts
05BLK883r said:
Ive got 11" Black Pro's on my 883R and love them i'm pretty sure they will fit on your bike.
I'm assuming that 883 means Sportster. Dyna's are a completely different bike. 11" really isn't safe on a street Dyna.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts