V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's beginning to turn into the fall and winter season here in South Carolina. My Fatty has 4200 miles on the last oil change and I'll be wrenching the 10k tune up this winter. Is it better to wait and change all the oils in the spring or just do it now and let it sit some this winter. Probably will go another 1500 miles before spring on the same syn 3 oil in all holes.

·
not sober all the time
5,299 Posts
Change now

IMHO leaving old, tired, used oil in the engine would be worse than clean, lightly used oil. Any acids that have built up in the old oil would have a chance to do damage during long periods of inactivity. Leaving clean or lightly used oil in the engine would be better. BTW, what's winter?:laugh:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Uncle, your suggestion makes allot of sense.

Winter in SC is not allot snow, just allot of black ice and cold wind.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
bikernut said:
winter.....lol....its not even oct yet.....winter you southern guys crack me up....
Whadaya mean???? Carolina is freezing up there!! That ain't the south. Even Florida gets cold!! Ya know...it got all the way down to 34 degrees last winter!! Now THATS cold!! I actually had to wear some underwear when I went riding!! My flip flops were left behind....I had to wear actual boots!! WITH SOCKS!!!

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
If it makes you feel better, dump the old oil out now. But it's never made any difference to me. I don't change oil til 3000 miles are up, don't matter what time of year it is or how long the scoot sits. 02 FLHT with 80k miles on it, issue free.
And..
I've been using Syn3 in the crankcase since the 35k mile mark. Personal preference...but I do understand about the Chavez thing :dry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts