V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't want to pay $300-$500 for the service any more. :dunno:

How difficult is it to do the 10K service? I will buy the service manual if I decide to do the work my self. I printed a copy of the service check up from HD website. I just installed Lyndall z pads front and back with not problems.

I have most tools for the bike.

What is the most expensive tool(s) that I will have to buy?

How much will the parts cost?

I'm looking for information and input from the fourm so that I can make a decision.

Thank You in advance

JLopez

·
Retired Air Force
339 Posts
I just completed my 10k service. Get the manual and follow it. Most expensive tool for me was the torque wrenches. You might also want to get the DVD "Fix My Hog". It helped me by showing how to do the maintenance.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Highly recomend doing the work yourself. Saves lots of money.
With that said you will need a lift which you can get from Sams Club and other places for about 100 dollars.
It will take you the better part of a day the first time you do it, but the second time will be far less.
Your consumables will be arround 45 dollars, however every 10000 miles there is commonly other things like tires, brake pads, rubber engine mount (they wear out sometime after 25,000 miles), and a few other odds and ends.
Guess the best advice is to follow the checklist completely. There is a list of critical torque specs that you have to check so you will need a torque wrench.
One last thing, the manual will get pretty detailed, this is good but some of the things are not nessessary. Say your clutch is adjusted correctly then when you change the primary fluid you need not follow the manuals directions and remove the clutch cover. Just take off the small rectangle cover check your chain tension, drain the fluid and refill using the small cover hole. The book details how to check the fluid level with the large cover off. Well after doing this many times I can tell you that one quart ALWAYS fills the primary to the correct level.
Dan

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Buy the book, follow the book, learn your scooter. Torque wrench's. ft lbs and inch lbs. Sears, good price, good wrench. Check the ft. motor mount. There is an update part with a stronger rubber and sleeve. My pig ate two mounts in 30K miles. Now, the new one ain't goin' nowheres!!!

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
mhonn2004 said:
I just completed my 10k service. Get the manual and follow it. Most expensive tool for me was the torque wrenches. You might also want to get the DVD "Fix My Hog". It helped me by showing how to do the maintenance.
Thanks for the info mhonn2004 ... I was looking for DVD's on the sportster and the touring bike.

I checked their web site and their shipping instructions don't allow me to pick a Canadian address. I e-mailed them and will let you know what the response is.

I always do my own minor maintenance, but I've always been leary about the 10k check so it ends up at the dealer. I have most of the tools including a bike lift and torque wrench, so it would save a bundle in maintenance cost.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
maintenance record

Just talked to a few dealers. The question I had was this. Will There be any problem maintaining my warentee if I ( and not you) perform my maintenance services? I recieved a positive [none at all] as long as you keep some record of proof such as recipts pertaining to the maintenance you do. Also, ask the service counter to log the mintenance intervals when you done them. Keep records.

The impression most of the HD managers gave me was they will not honor the warrentee because of the direct results from abusse or negleton your part. A for instance one gut gave me was how a biker changed his oil waited a fewdays cause something came up,got on his bike and took a ride. Opps for got to refill the oil rode it like that a couple of days, went in for a warrentee cause his engine was making noise and getting way too hot. They found a fried engine with no oil SORRY NO WARENTEE. It ws all on him.

Im not stupid but that scarry story taught me start what you finish, today.
Thats:gun: all from me.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I am not a company man. But HD has the best sevice manual I have ever read. Written for regular folk. I got other manuals written for techs. HD is step by step. Its not rocket science. Read it three times before doing, and then follow step by step as doing.

Sears lift $100, for tires and breaks. I get a satisfaction nowing no one but me works on my bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
JLopez,

What they all said! Get a lift, the HD manual, and a torque wrench. You will love doing your own maintenance.

Also, obtain one of the several oil filter wrenchs that will get the filter off without damaging the sensor that HD put in exactly the wrong location.

If after reading the HD manual instructions you decide that you can handle everything but (for example) changing the front fork oil - then just have your dealer do that one item. It will still save you tons of money over the price of a 10K service.

I'd bet that after you do your own service, you will never want to trust your ride to a dealership so some pimple-faced kid (that could not make it through high school) has something to practice on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Folks,

I appriciate all of the feed back. A side from spending the money on the 10k service, I spend a great deal of time making sure I keep my RoadKing clean, and I'm not happy when I get my RoadKing back it is dirty, and in some cases a few scratches on the exhaust.

I jumped the gun, and purchase the Clymer Manual, I'm trying to cancel but it maybe too late.

I hope the Clymer Manual work for basic service/maintenance.

Thank You

JLOPEZ

·
Registered
250 Posts
Snobal said:
I'd bet that after you do your own service, you will never want to trust your ride to a dealership so some pimple-faced kid (that could not make it through high school) has something to practice on.
Before someone gets upset about my comment. Let me explain.

A few years ago, after doing all my own maintenace for several years, I took my bike to a stealership to have a 10K service done - simply because I did not have the time to do it myself due to being too busy at work.

Anyway, I thought it would be great to have a 'factory-trained tech' do the service rather than me just 'cook-booking' it with the service manual.

When I went to pick up my bike, I noticed that the transmission dipstick was not screwed in completely - so I asked to borrow an allen wrench to screw it in (I normally carry tools but I had taken them, and all my other junk, out of the bike for the service). Well, the service manager stated that they did not loan tools! I explained the problem, and she said, "OK, I'll have the tech fix it." So this kid comes out and screws in the dipstick. I get on the bike to go home and the front end dives down like it had no air in the suspension system. The kid is still standing there so I showed him that the front forks were compressing with just my weight on the bike. He insisted that he had put air back in the system, got his air gauge, and showed me there was air in the forks, so I rode home. Scared me to death every time I had to brake due to the front-end dive.

So, when I get the bike home, I started checking things.

First, I drained the front forks and discovered there was not enought fork oil in there to make a puddle in my drain pan. I added the proper amont of fork oil to each fork leg, adjusted the air, and as if by magic, the front forks did not dive when I applied the brakes.

Also noticed that the shifting seemed different. Pulled the clutch inspection cover and found that the idiot kid had filled the primay with fluid up to the inspection cover. I drained the fluid, added the one quart that is required, and as if by magic, the bike started shifting normally again.

While I was at it, I lubed the clutch cable and throttle cables, front fork bearings (which the kid seemed to have forgotten to do), adjusted the clutch, primary chain, belt, etc. and before long, the bike felt like it had a 10K service - rather than just a fluid change.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Snobal,

These are some of the things that concern me. But most of all, I want to learn, and do the service my self. I'm pertty detailed, and I keep all records, but when I install the Z pads on the Road King, it was some special.~!Awesome!

Thank You

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Snobal said:
JLopez,

Sorry, but I'm old and dumb. What are "Z pads."
Lyndall Racing brake pads..."Z" pads. Lyndall also makes "Gold" pads, but most seem to prefer the Z pads. Excellent pads by reputation.

T113

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts

·
2008 Ultra
318 Posts
Almost There said:
I checked their web site and their shipping instructions don't allow me to pick a Canadian address. I e-mailed them and will let you know what the response is.
They e-mailed me back the same day and pointed me to a section of their web site for ORDERS OUTSIDE US. It's on order now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost There,

Let me know what you think, I read about this DVD in the American Rider magazine, and grab my interest on doing my own service. I bought the manual and will study it for bit, and then purchase the DVD. I plan on riding to Laughlin in April, so I have some time before I do the service.

Everyone, thank you

Jlopez

1 - 20 of 28 Posts