V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled down my top end for a upgrade and took some pictures of the inside of the cylinder, head and plug. I wondered how this carbon buildup compares? This is the front cyl at 10k miles. Is the build up/carbon normal? Just wonder what it should look like and what the carbon is telling me. (The oil in the head picture is from handling the head after removal. The interior of the cyl and head was dry when I first pulled the head.)

The pics are in the attachments.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
In that first pic of the piston in the cylinder there is a light spot near the intake side. I was told by someone once that that could be an intake leak. I don't know for sure but I thought I'd throw this out there.

I'm not sure about the carbon buildup.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Actually it really looks quite clean! The plug looks a little rich in the picture.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
I pulled down my top end for a upgrade and took some pictures of the inside of the cylinder, head and plug. I wondered how this carbon buildup compares? This is the front cyl at 10k miles. Is the build up/carbon normal? Just wonder what it should look like and what the carbon is telling me.

There's an old trick to get rid of that carbon build up. Simply spray water into your intake (carb or efi) just until the motor starts to stall. Repeat a few times.
The result is the carbon build up gets burned off.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Pistons looks like both my Sportster and the Road Glide looked, the heads look a little worse but just the way it is. I don't vent oil back to my intake on my RG with the Doherty AC.

I use seafoam in my gas, but also have a spay from them you pour or spray in the intake, let sit, and fire it up.

I agree the plug looks rich, but the carbon looks like I have seen on my two builds.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
It is difficult to tell in the heads since they are wrinkle black painted like the outside of the head. You maybe be looking at paint rather than carbon. Overall it doesn't look bad at all.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input on the carbon. Since I'm having the heads ported and upgrading the cubes, I'll get rid of this carbon quick. Hopefully I'll find a tuner that will take care of the possible rich condition. It'll all change of course as I go to the 98 and new cams. I'll remember the water trick though, in case I want to clean it out in the future.

·
1,802 Posts
Here is what the sporty looked like, not a strait on shot though.

This is what me and my dremel did, and I also did the exhaust ports like that also.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Laf, how'd you do that? I got a new dremel for christmas and have my old heads that I just replaced and am pretty bored, would be fun to try something like that just for the learning part if nothing else.
thanks, adx

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
I'm just guessing, but I'm not sure if you have a rich condition. I think the carbon build up may be more from oil misting coming from the breathers.

LAF, Seafoam is some good stuff, I have been running it in 2-stroke engines for a long time to decarbon. They also make a product called deep creep for cleaning up an engine quickly.

I know that the water thing works well also, had a 283 years ago that cracked a head and when I removed the head the cyclinder that the water was going into looked as clean as it gets.

·
1,802 Posts
adlerx said:
Laf, how'd you do that? I got a new dremel for christmas and have my old heads that I just replaced and am pretty bored, would be fun to try something like that just for the learning part if nothing else.
thanks, adx
A lot of work with various wheels and then down to polishing compound. It really did not do a huge amount of performance as polishing the combustion chamber really just helps in carbon not forming and little else. The exhaust ports did help performance I believe. I did clean up the intake but remembered the words "hogged up" and only took what I saw as casting imperfections and smooth and shaped and was sure to leave it rough to help aid in suspension of the fuel mix.

I am sure it helped the Sporty but I do not infer to be any kind of porter. I had time as you do, and enhanced and went very gently when I was cutting any metal. If you want you could CC them as it is pretty easy with an accurate measuring device and have at it that way.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Thanks LAF, I realize that it isn't really a performance booster but like I said, I'm bored and with the continuos rain out, not much to do here. I might give it a go just for fun.

·
1,802 Posts
adlerx said:
Thanks LAF, I realize that it isn't really a performance booster but like I said, I'm bored and with the continuos rain out, not much to do here. I might give it a go just for fun.
Have fun man, it is like mindless work on polishing, initial shape up and imperfections hunting is where you need to pay attention. It seems to me I went through a lot of the green lollipop bits, the green wide wheel bits.

And if you are lucky enough to have a flex shaft also you are in for some serious fun:clap:

Look forward to hearing your thoughts if you undertake this.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
adlerx said:
Now how the heck can you be bored with an avatar like that......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts