V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

have a 02 fxd with 107ci zippers kit.what would you go to to up grade?? 117ci, with SE crank, 120 with 4.5" stroke, or 124 with 4.625" stroke.
going to wood s tw-68g cams as well.

cheers kiwihdracer.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
That would depend on what you are looking for as a end result. If you have a bad crank then you could go to 4 5/8 and build a 124 on the kit you have now with a crank and a piston swap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
kiwihdracer said:
Hi guys,

have a 02 fxd with 107ci zippers kit.what would you go to to up grade?? 117ci, with SE crank, 120 with 4.5" stroke, or 124 with 4.625" stroke.

cheers kiwihdracer.
More bigger is more funner. More bigger is more expense.
Life is short!

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
kiwihdracer said:
Hi guys,

cheers kiwihdracer.

I vote for a 124".................Bigger is better and both GMR and King of Cubes are good builders. Lets not forget to mention Hillside too.

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
Go for the gusto,if you don't you will wish you did.For that matter it seems to grab onto to you then it will be a 131,147,or 155.We will be watching for the post.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dog155 said:
Go for the gusto,if you don't you will wish you did.For that matter it seems to grab onto to you then it will be a 131,147,or 155.We will be watching for the post.

Hi Guys, thanks for the responce. I was looking at 124 as need to get a crank and pistons , so bigger better. 131, 147 etc will they fit as standard frame? I would like to keep with normal cyclinders, not nikasil. (too many horrer stories on here). can you get 4 1/4 normal cyclinders?

cheers kiwi.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
If I was going to 124 I would go with the S&S crank (and weld it) and the 4-1/8" bore. If your going to 131" (which will still fit the stock frame) you can get the aluminum/ cast lined cylinders as long as you understand that there will be longivity issues. I like the pure ductile cylinders with the round finned billet heads and outside oil return lines.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
KingofCubes said:
If I was going to 124 I would go with the S&S crank (and weld it) and the 4-1/8" bore. If your going to 131" (which will still fit the stock frame) you can get the aluminum/ cast lined cylinders as long as you understand that there will be longivity issues. I like the pure ductile cylinders with the round finned billet heads and outside oil return lines.

I wonder why GMR didn't recommend the S&S crank to me when he did my build? :whatever: It couldn't be a money issue! :huh:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KingofCubes said:

so can I get the ductile cylinders to fit up to my twin cam, for 131? and use my heads?
what do you mean with the alloy/cast liners have longivity issues?
as i said before I will steer clear of the nikasil cylinders.

cheers Kiwi

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Yes, but a better head for this would be the R&R cast or better yet the billet.The aluminum/cast iron lined cylinders have issues with the bore taking shape after a while (cast iron is 35,000 psi tinsile strength) and surrounded by aluminum. Ductile iron is 65,000 psi and retains its shape.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well a shovel head is a cast cylinder with aluminum heads. The biggest thing with a all iron cylinder is making sure it is warm before riding. I have used only a few sets of Randys cylinders, this 131 we are building Randy built the cylinders. They are a work of art.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
That would depend on what you are looking for as a end result. If you have a bad crank then you could go to 4 5/8 and build a 124 on the kit you have now with a crank and a piston swap.

Why would you recommend 4 5/8 stroke when most if not all your previous 124" motors were 4 3/8 stroke? :hmmm:

·
Registered
917 Posts
<<Why would you recommend 4 5/8 stroke when most if not all your previous 124" motors were 4 3/8 stroke?>>

A wild guess would be to get away from plated 4.25 jugs and go to Axtell type 4.125 cast iron.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
ejk_dyna said:
<<Why would you recommend 4 5/8 stroke when most if not all your previous 124" motors were 4 3/8 stroke?>>

A wild guess would be to get away from plated 4.25 jugs and go to Axtell type 4.125 cast iron.

Axtell makes 4.250 jugs.....I asked and they said they do but don't like to:hmmm:

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
1711tab said:
Why would you recommend 4 5/8 stroke when most if not all your previous 124" motors were 4 3/8 stroke? :hmmm:

Still waiting for your answer!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts