V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can buy a 105cu shovel would it last on the street . it has a d ss carb on it ,i think i will replace with a G model .

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi
who`s the internals manufacturer ?
S&S, RevTech have proper names for different stages (Sidewinder e.g.)
These co`s recommend certain carbs ,which makes sense....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi,
basically I wouldn`t touch any "older" bike without any receipts, except for I can get it for close to nothing.
Strockers in particular.
Any H-D with a 105cu is something special. So is the build-in stuff. So are the shops or wrenches who can accomplish such a job.
ray.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi!
I think shovelbolle is right!
In general it´s not impossibel that that engine would last. The main question is, if the guy who build that engine did a good job and knew what he did!Of course it´s importand to use good-quality parts...but it´s even more importand to know how to put them together!
Here in germany are a lot of shops how can "put" an engine together...but just a few of them who´re able to "build" an engine!

Good luck with that "shovel-monster" if you´ll buy it!

Regards from Germany,
Gerry
www.shovel-head.com

P.S.: What´s the price of that engine?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm with Gerry......that's a lot of CUBES for a shovel, but might work.
I'd wanna know who built the motor, more on the cam (probably more than needed). Save $$$ for things like starters, cause I imagine it'll wear em out much faster (I never liked the older electric start systems).
Also, what combo of stroke and bore is used to get that displacement?
IMHO, anything over 4 3/4 stroke may not ne reliable in a shovel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
buy it!

if the price is right.course I MIGHT be prejudice! get a cv from Ron Trock in hampshire Illinois. He's run them up to 120" mine runs great. look over all the drive train bolts,trans plate bolts and primary hardware.this is a real torgue monster ;I hit second gear once and ripped the primary cover from it's studs. mine is 4 5/8" x 3 15/16." running a cv carb and Andrews 6 cam. not the hottest cam available but a good street cam. 25 tooth compensator ,c,sprocket , 25/43 chain sprockets. saw a twin cam in the mirror...once. The engine really will tear up the drive train if its not top notch,the engine is that much stronger then stock. anything less then the Proclutch will fry,Allballs makes a 1.4 kw starter that works well. if your not into wrenching and maintaining it, buy something newer. no matter what you think before you ride it;it's so much fun to whack it you just have to,and when you do,you find the weak spots quick.keep an extra rear tire handy.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
103", 108" 114" Shovels all run real good. G's, D,s set-up correctly work correctly.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
105"

My thoughts on that being a 105" are 4 3/4" stroke and a 3 11/16(+.060 3 5/8)
We ran one of those combo's years ago at the track.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Did anyone notice the original post [question] was made on 25 Dec 2002?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts