V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive hurd that a 95 is more power than a 103 so why the heck does anyone git a 103 i know there a stroker so does this mean there more torque than a 95 or what... whats the deal?

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
midnight sporty said:
ive hurd that a 95 is more power than a 103 so why the heck does anyone git a 103 i know there a stroker so does this mean there more torque than a 95 or what... whats the deal?
Well, I have a 103 kit on order and do have I think a good reason, for me anyhow.

The bigger stroke / cubes of a 103 I feel make power easier than a good 95. Meaning the 103 can keep a 9 to 1 compression ratio, helps stay away from detonation, heat, etc. A good 95 will make big numbers but will need more compression, more aggressive cams, etc. I think the 103 will have more smooth low-end torque.

Not knocking a good 95, many like HDWRENCH have done their homework and come up with terrific / reliable 95 & 98 kits.

Also, a 103 SE done by a HD dealer, like I am doing, will do a factory type download, very mild tune, staying within EPA & noise regulations. So, some are down on the 103's. But, that 103 then taken to a dyno tuner with a SERT will produce somewhere around 100 HP / 100 TQ. at the rear wheel.

It's a matter of choice I think, both done right will give the owner what they were looking for.

·
Registered
927 Posts
midnight,

What they probably meant was that a *mildly built* 95" can have more power than HD's 103 and for less money, making it a better buy. I don't know what you hird though, so it's hard to say.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Choices, choices, choices. Good reasons for all of them it's just that you got to make one. I've had a high compression 95" build in a bagger and now have a mild factory 103" build on my current bagger. I've got good reaons for why I like my current set up better than my last set up but no need to go into all of them here because that has all been said and done by me and so many others in so many other threads before.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
i think im going to sit this one out :hystria: :flames:
Hey SEDELUXE05, my 103 build at LB Harley is on hold, heads backordered until April 30. Damn!

Looking forward to checking out your "killer 95" soon.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Maybe a lot of strong 95s will outrun a mild, HD-build 103, but a well built 103 will enjoy a significant advantage over most 95/98s.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Why not 107 (4.125) or 114 (4.250) vs 95. Same labor a little less cost and more power and torque, equal or better longevity as the 103 also.

·
Registered
473 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Maybe a lot of strong 95s will outrun a mild, HD-build 103, but a well built 103 will enjoy a significant advantage over most 95/98s.
@gree: with you FXDRYDR

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
:banana: :cheers: :thumbsup: ~!Awesome! :clap: :Banadance

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
well i couldnt do it what do you mean till the end of april thats 2 more months what are they plating them in gold
:coffee: , wake me in May. Damn!

·
Registered
20 Posts
95 vs 103

Everyone has some pretty impressive dyno numbers but no body has said how FAR their motor has gone. I converted my 2000 FLTR Roadglide to a 95" at 1700 miles and I'm getting ready to rebuild it at 71,237 miles(current Mild engine, 203 chain drive, flat tops, SE ignition, SE non-HTCC heads, K&N filter, 6 speed H-D brand better OD ratio for Dressers, HSR42, White Bros 2 into 1 "E" series). It looks like the front piston skirt hard coating came off and ate my connecting rod bearing or the bearing got loose and let the piston wander in the bore(chicken or the egg?). Out of that mileage about 20K has been pulling my cargo trailer(about 300#) and two up riding, so my motor never completely unloads at road speed. I've got friends with close to the same set up I have(various compression,head,cam,etc,combos) and some of them have 90,000+ miles on their motors (NOT pulling trailers). This rebuild I'm installing 98" Nikasel cylinders, 9:2 to 1 pistons, SE 253 GD cams, set of '05 flywheels "0" miles, I'm looking forward to see how FAR this set up goes.
DYNO mumbers are for BRAGGIN' rights only. Most guys know what parts are in their engine, BUT, did they put them their themself????

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Tomkat said:
Everyone has some pretty impressive dyno numbers but no body has said how FAR their motor has gone. I converted my 2000 FLTR Roadglide to a 95" at 1700 miles and I'm getting ready to rebuild it at 71,237 miles(current Mild engine, 203 chain drive, flat tops, SE ignition, SE non-HTCC heads, K&N filter, 6 speed H-D brand better OD ratio for Dressers, HSR42, White Bros 2 into 1 "E" series). It looks like the front piston skirt hard coating came off and ate my connecting rod bearing or the bearing got loose and let the piston wander in the bore(chicken or the egg?). Out of that mileage about 20K has been pulling my cargo trailer(about 300#) and two up riding, so my motor never completely unloads at road speed. I've got friends with close to the same set up I have(various compression,head,cam,etc,combos) and some of them have 90,000+ miles on their motors (NOT pulling trailers). This rebuild I'm installing 98" Nikasel cylinders, 9:2 to 1 pistons, SE 253 GD cams, set of '05 flywheels "0" miles, I'm looking forward to see how FAR this set up goes.
DYNO mumbers are for BRAGGIN' rights only. Most guys know what parts are in their engine, BUT, did they put them their themself????
Im real curious as to your reason for running that cam. And when did H-d start building gear drive cams? (se 253 GD cams)

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
midnight sporty said:
Are you trying to tell us you caught the performance bug? :laugh:

I thought your 204's were gonna keep you happy.:)

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Tomkat,

A fellow named Lakes who posts on a number of other forums is a drag racer in Oz. He recently tore his motor down after 80K -- and a lot of drag racing. He had cracks in his piston skirts and was still running mid-11s on a 95", Andrews 55 set up with CHAINS - if I'm not mistaken.

Here's part of the thread:

http://www.ffbmc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124

For about the last year, the bike has only been ridden on the track - and once/twice a week at that. These are durable machines and kind of puts things in perspective when we sometimes start to get a little anal about things. Lakes' 95 is quicker than mosty and he dids his share of winning -- with 80K on the odo and cracked piston skirts...

·
Registered
20 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Tomkat,

A fellow named Lakes who posts on a number of other forums is a drag racer in Oz. He recently tore his motor down after 80K -- and a lot of drag racing. He had cracks in his piston skirts and was still running mid-11s on a 95", Andrews 55 set up with CHAINS - if I'm not mistaken.

Here's part of the thread:

http://www.ffbmc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124

For about the last year, the bike has only been ridden on the track - and once/twice a week at that. These are durable machines and kind of puts things in perspective when we sometimes start to get a little anal about things. Lakes' 95 is quicker than mosty and he dids his share of winning -- with 80K on the odo and cracked piston skirts...
WAY COOL- THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. Tomkat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts