V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading tons of posts on the 103 vibration. I have a 2016 glide that the vibration is increasing the more I ride, it just hit 7500 miles. The vibration seems to be worse after it warms up, and it also increases at higher RPM or MPH. I have never seen anyone post what they have found except for motor mounts, I checked those and they seem fine. I here the cranks are an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
19,503 Posts
If you feel the vibration in your feet, then motor mounts would be suspect.

Any addons that might transfer vibration to the frame from the motor would also be suspect.

Past that, you are in the engine. Normal diagnostic checks to make sure its not dragging a cylinder, then checking the run out on the crank, both ends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been reading tons of posts on the 103 vibration. I have a 2016 glide that the vibration is increasing the more I ride, it just hit 7500 miles. The vibration seems to be worse after it warms up, and it also increases at higher RPM or MPH. I have never seen anyone post what they have found except for motor mounts, I checked those and they seem fine. I here the cranks are an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you feel the vibration in your feet, then motor mounts would be suspect.

Any addons that might transfer vibration to the frame from the motor would also be suspect.

Past that, you are in the engine. Normal diagnostic checks to make sure its not dragging a cylinder, then checking the run out on the crank, both ends.
You can feel some vibration in the seat, feet and bars, but when you place your foot against the shifter arm it vibrates like mad.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,714 Posts
Just to be clear, when you say vibration gets worse at higher RPM, do you mean like if you rev the engine while sitting still in neutral?

Vibration while you're moving could be coming from tire wear, wheel bearings, a tire out of balance, bad shock absorber, etc.

Harleys vibrate. It is kind of the nature of the beast. Is this your first Harley? Did you put those 7500 miles on it?

How did you check the motor mounts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to be clear, when you say vibration gets worse at higher RPM, do you mean like if you rev the engine while sitting still in neutral?

Vibration while you're moving could be coming from tire wear, wheel bearings, a tire out of balance, bad shock absorber, etc.

Harleys vibrate. It is kind of the nature of the beast. Is this your first Harley? Did you put those 7500 miles on it?

How did you check the motor mounts?
Worse while riding and /or out of gear. follow rpm
I have pulled in the clutch at 80 mph, let off throttle to an idle, vibration decreased, follows engine rpm.
Purchased the bike with 2400 miles, no vibration like this when purchased, notice an increase in vibration around 7300 miles, seem to be getting worse..
I know Harley's vibrate, not my first bike. Owned a few over the years, I also currently own a 2006 CVO Screaming Eagle Fat boy, 21000 miles no issues, have a Custom with a S&S motor, 12000 miles no issues. road other street glides, no issues. A friend just bought a 2017 glide, 6800 mikes on it, no issues, does not vibrate like this.

Checked mounts to see it they were tight, checked motor to frame clearance, checked exhaust to frame clearance, found nothing.
Checked front and rear wheel bearing, even replaced the front, same issue. Checked for belt tension/wear. Tried multiple air shock settings, same.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,714 Posts
Worse while riding and /or out of gear. follow rpm
I have pulled in the clutch at 80 mph, let off throttle to an idle, vibration decreased, follows engine rpm.
Purchased the bike with 2400 miles, no vibration like this when purchased, notice an increase in vibration around 7300 miles, seem to be getting worse..
I know Harley's vibrate, not my first bike. Owned a few over the years, I also currently own a 2006 CVO Screaming Eagle Fat boy, 21000 miles no issues, have a Custom with a S&S motor, 12000 miles no issues. road other street glides, no issues. A friend just bought a 2017 glide, 6800 mikes on it, no issues, does not vibrate like this.

Checked mounts to see it they were tight, checked motor to frame clearance, checked exhaust to frame clearance, found nothing.
Checked front and rear wheel bearing, even replaced the front, same issue. Checked for belt tension/wear. Tried multiple air shock settings, same.
If it follows engine speed then that certainly points to the engine/primary.

Any work done on it recently? Hit any bad bumps?

Sure about exhaust clearance? Did you check with someone sitting on the seat? Those clearances change between laden and unladen conditions.

Could it be a misfire you are feeling? Have you looked at the spark plugs or tested the plug wires lately?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'm doing a rebuild on my 103 after 28,000 miles. It developed a similar vibration and was noticeably sluggish between 2000 and 2400 rpms. In tearing it down we measured the run out on the crank and it was .0075, within the ,010 Harley considers acceptable but not what I expected to see.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Is the primary chain too tight?

·
Super Moderator
19,503 Posts
Warm it up, sitting in the driveway, then in neutral run up through the rpms. If you feel it, its in the motor. Prolly crank run out.

If you only feel it moving, then see what it does coasting, light power and heavy power.

By isolating the when, it'll help you find the what.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It actually was a combination of both engine and drivetrain. Anyway, I was thinking about "buying" some performance so I pulled the trigger. Should be getting it back in a few days for break in, then dyno. I'm having the work done. I can do some wrenching but didn't feel comfortable tearing it all the way down. Last thing I wanted was a box of parts and a blank stare....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts