V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cycle world dyno'd a STOCK out of the box Kaw ZX-14 and got 104 torque and 170 HP. All that on a 500 pound bike? While riding my ultra or SG I will have no illusions that there is ANY Harley modification that could be ridden on the street that could come close. These bikes are reported to be doing in the 9's in the quarter. Stock mind you.

And no I'm not going out to buy one. If i was in my 20's I might but in my 50's I sort of like my ride(s).

170 HP in or on a 500 pound bike doing 9's is an eye opener. Sort of puts things into perspective.

·
In disguise
2,749 Posts
roofeditor said:
And no I'm not going out to buy one. If i was in my 20's I might but in my 50's I sort of like my ride(s).
There's not much good about getting older, but wisdom is one thing. I'm in my 50's as well.:cheers:

roofeditor said:
170 HP in or on a 500 pound bike doing 9's is an eye opener. Sort of puts things into perspective.
It really does. I like Harleys but I've always considered the phrase "high performance Harley" an oxymoron. But back to the age reference, it's generally the fearless 20-somethings that buy these amazing sport bikes right off the showroom with their fresh motorcycle endorsement (or not) and then go out and kill themselves. I wonder what I would have done if bikes like this were around when I started in the 1970's? Back then, a Kawasaki Z1 (900cc) would do something like 140 off the showroom floor. a friend had one--I remembver that it would hit 100 before you knew it and was purring like a kitten at that speed--not working hard at all. Now, showroom sportbikes will approach 200 mph. Honestly, how many street riders can handle a bike at those speeds? A whole lot fewer than think they can.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
roofeditor said:
Cycle world dyno'd a STOCK out of the box Kaw ZX-14 and got 104 torque and 170 HP. All that on a 500 pound bike? While riding my ultra or SG I will have no illusions that there is ANY Harley modification that could be ridden on the street that could come close. These bikes are reported to be doing in the 9's in the quarter. Stock mind you.

The trouble is these bikes are cheap compared to a Harley, so the 20 year olds are able to buy them. Of course the insurance is a killer. I work with this young guy that is looking at buying a used crotch rocket. He'll end up paying more for insurance in one year than what he'll pay for the bike.

My point is most young people buying these bike don't have the maturity or riding experience necessary to control these machines. After a couple of weeks of riding they get cocky and overconfident and end of doing something stupid - like attempting a wheelie at 80mph - some live and some don't.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
That must be rear wheel HP, Kawasaki reports it's 198 HP with the ramair. 9's in the 1/4 mile. 0-60 in under 3 seconds. All that for the price of a sportster.

·
Registered
967 Posts
My first sportsbike was the 95' Kawi ZX-9R. Then I wanted to go faster, so I bought the 00' ZX-12R. A few years back while coming back from a Bike Rally, I almost went down at over 150 miles per hour. Why? No reason, I was stupid. I sold that speed pill the very next weekend and haven't looked back. Kids and younger riders want that speed? Hell I was 38 when I sold mine!=devil=

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tmd11111 said:
That must be rear wheel HP, Kawasaki reports it's 198 HP with the ramair. 9's in the 1/4 mile. 0-60 in under 3 seconds. All that for the price of a sportster.
Rear wheel dyno HP! so CW says.

103-104 rear wheel torque is also impressive. One usually thinks of Ninjas and Busas as low torque zillion RPM bikes. Not so. 104 TQ @ 8500 rpm and you get about 170 hp.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
My first bike, a Kawasaki 500 triple. Seemed unbelievably fast in the day. Great sound + that blue smoke made it a very recognizable bike. Reading some specs, it says only 60hp @ 7500RPM. Doesn't seem possible. Excerpt from an article:

Producing 60bhp at 7500rpm, here was a 500 with more power than the all but the wildest four-strokes available.

At the time, BSA and Triumph still churned out highly-tuned 650 twins for the American market in particular, and good old Harley-D Sportsters gave about the same before the Environmental Protection Agency sank their teeth in, but in the all-important quarter-mile drag, the Kawasaki was the one to beat. 12.4 seconds was the claim, and although that might have been slightly optimistic, no-one who ever rode a Mach III came away disappointed...

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PR3VS56 said:
My first bike, a Kawasaki 500 triple. Seemed unbelievably fast in the day. Great sound + that blue smoke made it a very recognizable bike. Reading some specs, it says only 60hp @ 7500RPM. Doesn't seem possible. Excerpt from an article:

Producing 60bhp at 7500rpm, here was a 500 with more power than the all but the wildest four-strokes available.

At the time, BSA and Triumph still churned out highly-tuned 650 twins for the American market in particular, and good old Harley-D Sportsters gave about the same before the Environmental Protection Agency sank their teeth in, but in the all-important quarter-mile drag, the Kawasaki was the one to beat. 12.4 seconds was the claim, and although that might have been slightly optimistic, no-one who ever rode a Mach III came away disappointed...

I had a H-1 500 Kaw and later a H-2 750 Kaw. Very fast for the time, way faster than my CB-750 hondas which were no slouch.

These new ZX-14's if not speed limited I think could do about 220. I did drive one and you can hit 100 so quickly it's scary. I will say for a 56 soon to hit 57 years old guy, they are not comfortable AT ALL. I'm just not built for that any more.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
9.19 to 9.8 sec's at 140+ mph in the 1/4 mile quick enuf for licensed street Harley's? ........and yes, they are modified (i.e. not stock but are carb'ed and gas only) but still, they will out pull stock metric bikes 0-100 mph on the street. And these modifications are only bringing the output efficiency up to the same level as the water cooled metric bikes.

http://www.amraonline.com/pages/AMRA Results/HTML results/HotStreet.html

http://www.amraonline.com/pages/AMRA Results/HTML results/Outlaws.html

The other thing to think about is a well prepped 95" V-Rod setup correctly. Those are rumored to be in the high 8's in the 1/4 mile. I doubt that this is on a street tire though.

Bottom line is, don't sell a V-Twin short on being competitive if you level the playing field.

:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Totenkopf said:
9.19 to 9.8 sec's at 140+ mph in the 1/4 mile quick enuf for licensed street Harley's? ........and yes, they are modified (i.e. not stock but are carb'ed and gas only) but still, they will out pull stock metric bikes 0-100 mph on the street. And these modifications are only bringing the output efficiency up to the same level as the water cooled metric bikes.

http://www.amraonline.com/pages/AMRA Results/HTML results/HotStreet.html

http://www.amraonline.com/pages/AMRA Results/HTML results/Outlaws.html

The other thing to think about is a well prepped 95" V-Rod setup correctly. Those are rumored to be in the high 8's in the 1/4 mile. I doubt that this is on a street tire though.

Bottom line is, don't sell a V-Twin short on being competitive if you level the playing field.

:)
There's no doubt you can mod a Harley to go fast. It's just a question of how much money you are willing to pour into it (as with everything else). The amazing thing is how quick the ZX-14 is stock. Plus with an extended swing arm, a full system and sprocket changes it will run in the 8s at almost 160mph (still on stock 85" engine!!!).

·
Registered
159 Posts
FXR2 said:
Back then, a Kawasaki Z1 (900cc) would do something like 140 off the showroom floor. a friend had one--I remembver that it would hit 100 before you knew it and was purring like a kitten at that speed--not working hard at all.

Most I was ever able to get out my 1980 KZ1000 was 127 pinned on a long, long straight.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
roofeditor said:

I'm only guessing but I suspect that the Kawasaki's 170 hosepower was achieved at more than 12,000 rpm.

You're really talking about two different worlds here. The sportbike versus the cruiser/tourer. It's really impossible to make a comparison, IMHO.

I'm still very pleased with my stock 88" bike, I understand the difference between the two different types of bikes and I made my choice.

The place where the Harley really shines is when you start working on the bikes. Disassembling those twin OHC bikes with chain-driven cams is a real challenge.

As far as I'm concerned, there's Harley-Davidson, then the old Indians and then the rest of the bikes.

{salute(

·
In disguise
2,749 Posts
FXR2 said:
Back then, a Kawasaki Z1 (900cc) would do something like 140 off the showroom floor. a friend had one--I remember that it would hit 100 before you knew it and was purring like a kitten at that speed--not working hard at all.

198of3500 said:
Most I was ever able to get out my 1980 KZ1000 was 127 pinned on a long, long straight.

This was a 1974. Who knows, different sprockets, transmissions maybe? All I know is that at 100 in fifth gear, it wasn't even turning 4000 RPM. And the redline was something like 8000 (not sure, but something like that). I remember being amazed at how effortlessly it cruised at 100mph. The motor was just purring along. And it had plenty of torque left at that speed, also. I also remember going from 90 to 100 by just slightly twisting the throttle--pushed me back on the seat. And still had a bunch of throttle left. Already in fifth gear. They were true superbikes.

I also got to ride a Honda 750-4 the same year--the Kawasaki would blow it away.

[edit] Okay, 8500 RPM redline and top speed of 131 MPH. Well, I said *about* 140 mph and *about* 8000 RPM redline. Still petty amazing for a stock bike in 1974. By the way, I also remember the local dealer back then sold them for $2400. A Sportster was $2800 and leaking oil in the showroom. A Honda CB750 was $1800. My new Triumph Trident was $2000.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_900_z_1_super_4_1974.php

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Fredda said:
There's no doubt you can mod a Harley to go fast. It's just a question of how much money you are willing to pour into it (as with everything else). The amazing thing is how quick the ZX-14 is stock. Plus with an extended swing arm, a full system and sprocket changes it will run in the 8s at almost 160mph (still on stock 85" engine!!!).
I've seen stock ZX-14's and 'Busas run at the track, trust me, they are not that impressive. They only start to get impressive when sprayed or have another adder, like a turbo or a supercharger.... then, they need wheelie bars and a slick to really start to compete. Most strong Harleys just kill them out to 1000' to 1200' from a dead stop start.

And because of the design differences between inline 4's versus v-twins on a shared crank pin, they are very different in how they make torque and the rpm range plus gearing required. This is why the displacement is higher on the v-twins. Does a fast Harley need to be expensive? not necessarily, that's an assumption on your part, we have a friend running Hot Street on a tight budget, runs deep in the 9's on a street tire with no wheelie bars and it used old parts with a few key ingredients to make it run really well.

Will the Harley hit big mph? yeah, it can but that's a different beast. On flat out acceleration from a dead stop, pretty hard to beat a well prepped v-twin that is brought up to water cooled inline 4 output levels, especially when tested on 0 -100 mph on the street.

We would like to build a big V-Rod motor, waiting on aftermarket parts to catch up on solid pieces to base it off of. The G2 motor gives an inkling into the potential. It's not a street motor but on a level playing field, it gives the metric guys fits!
http://www.g2motorsports.net/Engine Packages/Pro Stock Engine.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
Totenkopf said:
I've seen stock ZX-14's and 'Busas run at the track, trust me, they are not that impressive. They only start to get impressive when sprayed or have another adder, like a turbo or a supercharger.... then, they need wheelie bars and a slick to really start to compete. Most strong Harleys just kill them out to 1000' to 1200' from a dead stop start.
Yeah, [email protected] is not impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oh2zxbZqkA

Engine said to be bone stock. Would have to be a pretty worked Harley to even hang to 1000-1200 from a dead stop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts