V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 HD Fatboy fuel injected with the 95" kit and 203 cams. I want a lot of lot of low end HP and torque. Have been considering the HTCC heads with my 95" kit or the 103" stroker kit. HTCC heads do not have a fuel injection map, but Harley makes a custom FI program ($500 of course) that the dealer can use to custom map the system. The cost for the 103" kit will cost more than the HTCC kit, even with the 5 hours of labor required to map. I think the 103" kit would give me another 5-8 HP over teh HTCC heads, but probably cost $5K. I should have installed a Partick Racing engine right upfront, but I like the fuel injection system Harley has designed. Anyone have any ideas for my best direction? Thanks Oddeath

·
Registered
276 Posts
my opinion, waste of time to go to 103, if you are going to go thru the expence and time to get into stroking go at least 116.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to stick with the Harley 95" or 103" kit. As I poinrted out in my first email, I SHOULD have installed a Patrick Racing engine or similar motor, but one thing led to another with the Harley engine and I'm stuck with it unless I want to reconfigure the entire bike and sink in another $10K. Interestingly, the 103" Harley motor with carbs has cranked out 122HP. With fuel injection, that would drop to about 107HP and the 95" kit with HTCC heads would probably put out about 100HP. A 116" motor isn't much of an increase over 122HP. Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
So talk to your installer about 103 WITH the HTCC Ported heads and stroker forged pistons. If they won't do it, then have your stock heads ported and machined with 1.9 -1.96 intake valves and spring kit (for less money). In either setup also include the SE adjustable pushrod kit, SE roller rocker arms, SE forged rocker supports, SE compression release (or High Po 1.4kw starter), performance clutch kit and SE high load rear belt. Cam probably is SE258 as your 203 won't feed that 103 with 1.9 intakes. Possible bump in the 4.35gm/sec injectors also. Get Chryslers - cheep.
Either way you'll need the Custom EFI Calibration which is best to do with the SE EFI Tuner as you will want to tweek it rather that a flat charge from dealer. Then you will pump 110-120 ft/lbs!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leaning towards installing the HTCC heads on my 95" kit. As you are aware, no FI map exists for teh HTCC heads with teh 95" kit and it would have to be custom mapped, but that's cool because no up here has done that yet - being unique is a good thing. My other reason for not doing the 103" kit is that I had my 95" heads diamond cut and if I do the 103" kit, I'm out another $500 for a diamond cut on the new cylinder heads. I also avoid the compression release, starter etc. I thnk the HTCC heads on the 95" kit will give me 97-100 HP versus 105-110 for the 103" FI kit. This is all a crap shoot because my dealer has never installed the HTCC heads on the 95" FI kit and Harley has very little experience with the setup. The dealer has done the 103" softail kit and it put out 122 HP at the Easy Riders show in Vegas and took first prize. If anyone out there has installed the HTCC heads on a 95" FI Harley let me know to particulars. Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
Both the HTCC Ported and HTCC have some issues with EFI Bikes in addition to the necessity of a custom EFI calibration - 1550 or with 103 stroker. Mainly this is with the matching of the intake manifold to the EFI side and the need for injectors that don't max out with 2.0 inch valves. So make sure they have done it!! or as in the above post have your stock heads machined and revalved to 1.9. It will cost the same or less than the HTCC and you know they will fit right. You will still need the custom EFI map and likely injectors for the valves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tsuter - Thanks for the valuable feedback. The dealer hasn't mentioned the matching of the intake manifold to the EFI side - I'll ask them about that to be sure they are aware of the process. Machining my current heads is also an option that I'll run by them - the new HTCC heads are stupid money and the machining sure makes sense. The dealer I work with (Buffalo Harley) is the most tech savvy Harley shop I've ever worked with so I don't think this will a problem for them. Thanks again! TB

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Look at the intake ports on the HTCC heads and the fuel module/intake manifold for a EFI bike.
You'll find out why there is no map.

Also the HTCC heads require the HTCC pistons and they are NOT compatible with the SE stroker.

Guess you'll need to think gain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll skip the stroker and just use the 95" HTCC heads and pistons and have it custom mapped. Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
If your dealer/installer has not matched HTCC on an EFI, don't bet on their ability to do it. I have the EFI 1550 and after looking at HTCC Ported with people I trust, the better and cheaper solution is machining stock heads and revalving with performance springs. I am looking at HEMI and Branch but have not fully resolved valve size and injectors. Separate post on that re Branch heads. Might also check with SBC in AZ for custom head work as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tsuter - once again, thanks for the heads up - I'll ask all these questions and pass along the dealer responses. TB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tsuter - I stopped by my dealer and all your data was right on target. The HTCC heads on my 95" inch kit would be a logistical nightmare for all the reasons you pointed out. The dealer said they could do it, but it sacrifices engine reliability, HP and torque. The better option for me is to go with the 103" kit that will take me to 120+hp. I thought about an aftermarket engine, but I have 3 friends who ran various engines and blew them up in short order. The Harley 103" reliability is really good. Thanks for the help in making this decision.

·
Registered
276 Posts
FYI, I got 93 hp and 97 ft/lbs with 9.5:1 comp using Headquarters low comp kit. '02 EFI RG w/ custom PC map. Over 100hp no prob with 10.5:1 but hey it's a bagger and I like to ride......

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
yzf.......wg, whats included in the Headquarters kit,? Price? I just installed a SE 95 " stage 2 kit and am Very pleased as compared to where it was. Still, more is better, and I want to do it in stages (more fun for me, albeit more expensive as well). I was thinking of getting the heads reworked early spring and change cams to something a little stouter (I added 203s this time, knowing they are mild).

Is this likely to help over what i have to an appreciable degree (i.e. heads and cams)?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm a do some research and spend the money kind of guy, not a Harley tech. That being said, seems heads are a big deal and not much point on going too easy on the cams. Screamin eagle, from my research, is mostly pretty good, you can do better with the heads and cams. Anyway, I spent about $6000. Canadian for 95" Headquarters kit, (heads, pistons, cylinder bore, cams 580 lift, pushrods, misc) feuling oil pump and lifters, harley oil cooler (what, am I paranoid?) and Power Comander.

Oh ya, and going from my Hooker slip-ons to a V&H pro-pipe made a big diff, on the real dyno and my butt dyno.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts