V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be purchasing a new bike this year and looking for help from those who have been down this road before. What is the price difference between having a dealer install a 103 upgrade in a new 1450 or having a good custom shop do the 95 kit and get as good or most likely better power figures?
I know there are disadvantages to doing stroke work but HD does keep the compression down on their 103 so that would help somewhat.
Have gotten prices up to around $5,000.00 on a 95 upgrade that will get in the mid 90's for hp and around 100 for torque.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Old Chuck said:
Will be purchasing a new bike this year and looking for help from those who have been down this road before. What is the price difference between having a dealer install a 103 upgrade in a new 1450 or having a good custom shop do the 95 kit and get as good or most likely better power figures?
I know there are disadvantages to doing stroke work but HD does keep the compression down on their 103 so that would help somewhat.
Have gotten prices up to around $5,000.00 on a 95 upgrade that will get in the mid 90's for hp and around 100 for torque.
Any thoughts?
The 95 upgrade does not cost anywhere near 5 grand. Ride a stock bike..............then decide how much more power you need. Stick with Harley for the install............you won't be sorry. Plus it keeps the bike under warranty.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Old Chuck,
I am taking delivery of my SG the beginning of March. I decided to have the dealership do a High Torque 95 before I pick it up. This way it is all covered in my new bike warranty.

If you have a shop do the work the dealership might give you some garbage about it voiding your warranty. Having them do it covers you.

I was quoted 4300 for my engine work and they claim a little better then the H-D stated 98 ftlb and 90 hp.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
nt30 said:
Old Chuck,
I am taking delivery of my SG the beginning of March. I decided to have the dealership do a High Torque 95 before I pick it up. This way it is all covered in my new bike warranty.

If you have a shop do the work the dealership might give you some garbage about it voiding your warranty. Having them do it covers you.

I was quoted 4300 for my engine work and they claim a little better then the H-D stated 98 ftlb and 90 hp.
$4300 is very expensive for a 95" regardless of the parts used; especially since the Stage II 95" kits including install & downloads are going for about $1500-$1700 buck's on winter specials at the local dealers. If they install it prior to you taking delivery it should be covered under the OEM warranty.

At $4300:wacko: you are getting bent over IMO.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Guy I talk to at the local bike shop has done a 103 on a few of his bikes. He claims the best way is buy a new 103, and sell your unused 88 on Ebay...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know, the numbers I've seen from "factory" 103's have never been too impressive. Seems like a lot of money for less than impressive performance.:dunno:

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Old Chuck said:
Any thoughts?
Do the 95 upgrade yourself for $1k, and then throw in another couple hundred for a tuning module and good dyno tuner. You'll hit your 90/100 mark pretty easily. Or spend a couple hundred more on a 98 kit. Either way, you'll save over $3k from what your shops are quoting you.

It doesn't take a HD mechanic to do the job either. I'm half way through my upgrade (have the engine pulled down and am waiting on parts) and the engine is simple to work on. Just read through the threads here and pick a head porter, and you are on your way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts