V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd post this as an FYI....

I have a 2011 FLHX 103 & wanted to reduce the heat from the motor due to the lean stock lean condition. I did not want to make the bike louder. I did a lot of research & spoke with a lot of smart people like Steve Cole & Jamie from Fuelmoto....
I ended up with 76hp & 92 ft lbs TQ.

& the bike runs a lot cooler... but remember... we are sitting on 103CI motors so it's not like air conditioning...

I bought the ceramic coated headers from Jamie. Very nice, high quality head pipes. I bought a SEST & SE Stage 1 AF from my local dealer. The dyno tech @ the dealer was little unsure of why I wasn't getting slip on as well ... he didn't think I the bike would make the power it did without slips....
When I picked it up lasr friday, he said he was very pleased with the power the bike makes & that it not only surpassed his expectations but that the bike made more power than similar mods with more open exhaust. He did however have to drill 1 small hole in each muff to get the exhaust sensor in the pipe. With the cats gone, the bike sounds good & runs great!

After I left the dealer, I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 1/2 hour & the oil temp gauge (I had them remove the air temp gauge & replace with oil temp when I bought it) didn't move off the bottom. I thought the tech broke the sensor but I didn't want to turn back so I kept riding. After I finally got out of the 1st gear traffic, I blasted up an interstate & the the oil temp needle started moving ever so slowly. Before the tune, the oil temp would be at 230 & maybe slightly higher. The temp did go up to about 210 or so after blasting up the pike for 20 minutes & stopping at home but I think this will reduce the heat substantially.

I'll decide over the winter if I want to get slips.. other than that, I'm going to get chrome lower fork tubes & probably be done. The motor is strong & I am very satisfied with the power it makes.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Put a good fuel management system on it and it will be even cooler. OEM stage one flashes are EPA legal. A good wide band controller would make a difference, as would some slip ons. You can get quiet ones. OEM muffs are real restrictive. While you did get the cooler running you were after, you got only a negligible boost in power.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Screaming Eagle Super Tuner IS a fuel management system & I had the bike tuned on a dyno. The fuel injection is optimized for max hp/tq for the setup... & I'm not looking for power, I'm looking for cooler

I'm sitting here looking A the dyno graph.... AF ration is definitely NOT EPA legal....

guess I didn't explain it correctly...

& I DO NOT want slips! & according to the dyno tech, the bike makes more power than same mods with slips....

thanks just the same....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wonder IF there would be much, if any improvement with less restrictive slip-ons?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wonder IF there would be much, if any improvement with less restrictive slip-ons?
I have the 2010 FLHTK with the 103 and was close to a motor meltdown when we caught it. I added the Fat Shotz -2 slip ons, with V&H header pipes 2-1-2, SE Air cleaner and Super Tuner. My HP came in at 82 with 97 tq. But the heat went away.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
The Screaming Eagle Super Tuner IS a fuel management system & I had the bike tuned on a dyno. The fuel injection is optimized for max hp/tq for the setup... & I'm not looking for power, I'm looking for cooler

I'm sitting here looking A the dyno graph.... AF ration is definitely NOT EPA legal....

guess I didn't explain it correctly...

& I DO NOT want slips! & according to the dyno tech, the bike makes more power than same mods with slips....

thanks just the same....
Did you get the SEPST or the regular one? Either way they both use the narrow band 02 sensors that came on the scooter. And on yours they are way to far from the exhaust port. The narrow band O2's limit what the controller can do, forcing it onto the stored map.

The SESPT uses canned maps that are EPA friendly. The SEPST uses canned maps most of which are race/high performance friendly and relies on the skills of the tuner for end results on each application. But both are limited by the stock O2 sensor. For a mildly modified street bike, a more advanced unit with wide band O2 sensors would out perform the best tuned SEPST for daily riding on the street. Sure, they cost more. But how much does dyno time cost?

You really should post a shot of that dyno map. Lots of peeps around here that could probably give you some advice after they took a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts