V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal: I ordered some saddle bag to fender gap filler covers from Dennis Kirk in the raw unfinished style. I wish to paint them in the aniversary silver to match. My questions are where can I get the HD paint number and enough paint to get them painted. I figured a pint would be more than enough. My brother does auto restorations and is super at paint work and will do them but I would like to find the paint. One place on the internet says they have it but they want close to 100 bucks for a pint! Does HD have a paint code for this silver and where do I find it. Any suggestions on where to find this paint would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I had the same problem when I needed to paint the front fender of my bike. Smokey Gold. HD paint was outrageous. I took it to my local body shop, they put it up to this chromatography camera/computer thing that matched the color perfectly. Even the metalflake. He mixed it right there.
I held the finished product up to the original paint rear fender and could not tell the difference. Pretty amazing.

Food for thought.

YB

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
A friend of mine works for the mfg of that paint. PPG.
The paint is proprietary and you can't buy it. At least a year ago you couldn't.
Also, he said the paint is put on in layers (a process) and is difficlult to match. I bought some touch up from HD for a few scratches and it isn't even close.
However, I think fulldrawmike is correct. It can be done.
If you've seen the aftermarket fairing company Drangonfly's products they
are spot on, even on CVO bike colors.
Another thought is that Ford has the Anniverseray color on the silver and
black 03 HD F150. Heard you can get that paint.

·
Registered
629 Posts
A friend damaged the tank on his 100th Anniversary Silver and Black. He had to send the tank back to Milwaukee for repainting. They would not sell the special anniversary edition paint to him or his dealer.

Maybe an auto body paint shop could help you out.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Anniversary Paint

Hi, I just repaired some scratches on an 03 lowrider in Gunmetal Pearl, I used the Harley paint 80 bucks and came in quart only, This was a single stage paint, not a typical basecoat The hardener was another 30 bucks. I used all of about 2 oz to do the repair which I blended in the typical way I would with basecoat and then I cleared over it, The blend went very well and the color match is great. But, after all of this I find out my local auto supply store who sells ppg paint could have mixed me a half pint of basecoat. They do have the formula's for the anniversary bikes and they go by the Harley Paint name for example Gunmetal pearl or vivid black. They also have the camera Yankeebob refered to. it is called a prophet and works reasonably well another 40$ charge. I will tell you one thing with silver you can spray it out of the same can two different days and not get an exact match every time.This has a lot to do with weather conditions and how the flake lays down etc. I you give me the name of your silver paint I can ask the supplier for the formula. He 's a Harley nut and always likes a challenge I'm sure I could get the formula and any ppg paint supplier could mix it.

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Paint

BVBOB,
Thanks for the offer to help. I was told the paint is called Aniversary Silver by a web site that says they can mix it but they want 100 bucks a pint. The parts I want painted are going down inbetween the saddle bags and the rear fender. I would think that as long as it is a close match it would be ok. I am picky about my bike but not that bad. If I was trying to blend a fender or tank then it would be different. I have a 2003 Road Glide that is the silver top and black trim. Thanks a lot! Mike

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
FULLDRAWMIKE said:
Here is the deal: I ordered some saddle bag to fender gap filler covers from Dennis Kirk in the raw unfinished style. I wish to paint them in the aniversary silver to match. My questions are where can I get the HD paint number and enough paint to get them painted. I figured a pint would be more than enough. My brother does auto restorations and is super at paint work and will do them but I would like to find the paint. One place on the internet says they have it but they want close to 100 bucks for a pint! Does HD have a paint code for this silver and where do I find it. Any suggestions on where to find this paint would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike
You might like to try http://www.color-rite.com/

I used it.... I think it looks good. The silver is very thin and is supposed to be thinly sprayed over the vivid black.

Lou Z.

·
Registered
5 Posts
paint

another thing you might try..its the same color and paint thats on the 2003 ford harley truck..the silver and black one...might save some money at ford dealer or body shop...

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
FULLDRAWMIKE said:
BVBOB,
Thanks for the offer to help. I was told the paint is called Aniversary Silver by a web site that says they can mix it but they want 100 bucks a pint. The parts I want painted are going down inbetween the saddle bags and the rear fender. I would think that as long as it is a close match it would be ok. I am picky about my bike but not that bad. If I was trying to blend a fender or tank then it would be different. I have a 2003 Road Glide that is the silver top and black trim. Thanks a lot! Mike
Maybe you could use the vivid black instead of the silver?

·
100th Road Glide
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all!

I found out that it is called Sterling Silver and someone mentioned that (thanks) and also I went to the Color Rite web site (someone also mentioned that and thanks), and if you look under motorcycles>harley-davidson>year of your bike>then model. the colors come up. It is Sterling Silver, talked with a lady at the California office and she says go thru the Pa office when ordering. They offer it in spray cans for 32.95 and they also have the clear to go over it. Probably go that route since a close match will be good enough since where the parts are located on the bike and at 107 bucks a pint that is a little more than I want to spend on paint. I can prep the covers and prime then get them ready for the paint and not have a huge amount in saddlebag gap fillers. Thanks again for everyones help!
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts