V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22,084 Posts
I believe you are mistaken, the greatest rock and roll band of all time is spelled L-E-D Z-E-P-P-E-L-I-N, but thank-you for your help, miss manners.

B

·
0 Posts
Actually I though it was Root-Boy Slim and the Sex-Change Band, closely followed by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Anyone who can name a single song from either of these groups is one sick muckerfricker ... ;)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
OH come on! I said greatest AMERICAN rock-n-roll band. I will add that Aerosmith is right there with ANY rock band anywhere on earth. If any rock band has done it as good for as long speak now or never.

·
Registered
22,084 Posts
Kags said:
done it as good for as long speak now or never.
Stones.

But you're right, can't argue with the American part. - I"m just bummed that they're not playing Toronto. Sorry but I'm not making the trip for 3/4 of the Doors.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
DJW said:

Stones.

Could be?

What bike are you riding ?

One thing, its good that your going for the music the displays are something off of a good dealers showroom floor. The drag bikes run for 100 feet and the bear is 5 bucks. If you check you can find some fair prices on some stuff, the road house will have good food but dont get the burgers the steak is better so are the BBQ ribbs. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
100th Anniversary Tour in LA this Weekend

Reminder:

For those in the So Cal area, or able to get here, the 100th Anniversary Road Tour is playing from this next Friday through Monday, September 6, 7 & 8 @ the Fontana Speedway, Fontana, CA.

Tickets will be available at the door. Cost is now $35/day or $75 for 3 days.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Re: 100th Anniversary Tour in LA this Weekend

Originally posted by pasadenajim Tickets will be available at the door. Cost is now $35/day or $75 for 3 days.
I still wonder why the tickets were $150 for 3 days in Hampton, GA(1st stop on tour) and have dropped 50% in less than 2 months.:confused: Are they not selling as well?
Has h-d had complaints about the cost and people saying they won't attend because of it?

On h-d site(originally), they had FAQ about why the tickets cost so much and had nice little BS reply about what all you were getting for the high price - i.e. Fashion show:rolleyes:, museum display, entertainment, etc. That FAQ has since been removed. Gotta wonder about that myself.:confused:

I'll probably go to shindig in Wisconsin in 2003 because brother-in-law lives there and wife wants to visit. That way I can take a week to see rest of area and have cheap room & board. He said there will be more going on there(of course) than at any other site.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
We have several So Cal members who I imagine will attend. We'll give ya' the So Cal "review" after the event.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Baltimore 100 year gig

We went to the 100 year gig in Baltimore and we enjoyed it very much. It was HOT AS HELL but everyone seemed to have a great time. We did get our $20.00 refund but it was a bit confusing trying to figure out how to get it. There were plenty of air conditioned tents with lots to see and do. The music was great especially Creedence Clearwater Revisited,Billy Idol and Ted Nugent. Bob Dylan was a bit of a disappointment so while he was on I did the shopping and history tour. I would have liked to have been able to shop at some NON HD vendors ... maybe they can set that up for next year in Milwaukee. We have already reserved our home away from home there next September. We had to get rooms 80 miles away in Oshkosh and that hotel is already sold out. I myself think that Harley Davidson has a right to celebrate their 100 year birthday. They've come a long way and I'm glad to be here to help them celebrate. :D
Molly

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Re: Baltimore 100 year gig

Mistylk13 said:
Bob Dylan was a bit of a disappointment so while he was on I did the shopping and history tour.
What did Dylan fans say when they quit doing drugs?
Man, his music SUCKS! :D

I would have liked to have been able to shop at some NON HD vendors ... maybe they can set that up for next year in Milwaukee.
I really don't see that happening. They are pushing h-d and don't think they'll allow anyone else steal their 'thunder'.:rolleyes: (pun intended)

Oh, yeah, anyone else realize that 1903 is also 100th anniversary of?

FORD - Affiliated with h-d with the F-150:p

1st flight at Kitty Hawk, NC - Not going to debate the issue of whether actual 1st airplane flight was in NC in 1903 or couple of years earlier in Ohio. :cool:

I think the 100th anniversary of flight is more important accomplishment that what h-d has done and FORD was 1st to introduce production line assembly(which EVERYONE uses today). :)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Jim's Review

Well, Lisa and I went to the 100th Anniversary Tour PARTY on Saturday. Here is my report, followed by some pics. 'sorry, I didn't save the pics in a smaller version. I'm still working with Picture It Publishing. Sometimes I get it done right--sometimes I don't. This was one of the"don't" times.

Hearing the food was expensive, we ate lunch with some friends at a microbrewery before arriving. Got to the California Speedway about 1:45. Quicky exchanged the $55 tickets and got our $20 refunds. That was easy. Then got in line. Had a half hour wait before getting in. Full check for metal and weapons. Once inside, I noticed the absence of any nonH/D vendors. Initially, I was put off by this. Then, I "got into" the total H/D thing.

This is a classy operation. The tents are mostly air-filled and relatively cool. Lots of interesting displays on H/D, the history, the bikes, the culture. There were even some plugs for the H/D unions. IMHO, AMF was recognized but the "problems" of the AMF era and before were pretty much ignored. (If I was throwing myself a party I would ignore my weak spots as well!) I enjoyed going through the tents and enjoyed the set-up.

We intentionally did NOT go through "demo" rides. Lisa has a terrible history of falling in lust with a bike when she demo's it. Her demo rides always cost me money!!! But she did "sit on" the 103" Road King and fell in LIKE with that bike. I'm very relieved she didn't demo the bike or I'd be selling her Low Rider this weekend!

I was impressed with the set-up. I thought to myself, well, I am still pissed at the wait getting in, and I don't like the prices for food and beverages (high but not exceptionally so by LA standards) but this is a classy presentation. We went over to the HOG members only tent, got a pretty nice event pin. Of the hundreds I own, this is certainly one of the nicest. We were lucky enough to catch a table and sat down. By this time of the afternoon, the sun was HOT. Our table had shade and we were fortunate. HOG membership does have it's pluses. The HOG tent was also AIR CONDITIONED and people would have given a lot to experience the cool for a few hours.

As we sat there, B/S'ing with friends, we could see the crowd going by. Friends dropped by and we talked, drank and listened to the concert. Over the next 3 hours. we hung out. For us old dogs, Billy Idol would be the highlight of the day. And he WAS! A group of us walked close to the stage and others staid in the exclusive HOG only area. Ran into a lot of interesting people near the stage including a group of a dozen folks who flew in from FRANCE to experience the 100th Anniversary Party. I posted in the HOG FORUM about this. Pics are there. (Side bar: French women are very pretty and wanted to "enjoy" American experiences. Lisa was opposed. No further comments are appropriate tonight. I've had too much wine.)

Standing, watching Billy Idol, I became firmly convinved that $35 was a good DEAL for this experience. I'd paid $8 for a sandwich, which I considered a pretty good $6 sandwich (again, LA prices have affected my perspective) but I factored this into my conclusion. The Road Tour would be worth the $75 which they charged for the LA Leg. I was sorry I didn't convert my ticket into a 3 day ticket. The music alone was worth the price. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in any way officiated with the MOCO. The truth is what the truth is.

We left feeling GOOD about the experience. We enjoyed the music. They had a venue for EVERYONE. WE actually concluded it was a GOOD deal.

For you folks in Canada, you should GO! You folks in Texas, if you don't go, you are messing up', BIG TIME. This is IMHO one of those events you MUST do, to tell your grandkids about. It is worth it.

I'm going to post some pics. I apoligize in advance for the size of the pics. Oh, in the next few days, I'll try to post some "bike pics" in the gallery. Over the years, H/D has made some bikes that would make some ole' time bikers cringe. The next time you hear someone copping an attitude about this bike or that bike, ask 'em to take a look at some of the bikes Harley has made over the years. Ask 'em, why did H/D take their tour to the countries they did? Hmmm.

We have several So Cal members and members from other areas who attended this event. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yep, Hundred Dollars means 10Cents/Mile

I was entertained by this poster in one of the tents at the Party.

The idea made me smile. I wonder if the folks then would puke at the gouging that is taking place today?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yeah, We Were Really There!

Ok. Ok. I didn't just make up this thread. Huckelberry1 and I actually attended. From our observation, over half the folks in attendance did NOT ride in. They came via car or truck. Oh, well. Everyone had fun and the party was worth the trip.

We both encourage you go attend any future venues you can make.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
View From the HOG Members Only Area

Although the stage was a good distance from the HOG Members only tent and area, the view was good. And chairs were a definite PLUS.

IMHO, hanging out in the HOG members area was the BEST part of the Party.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Billy Idol Still Rocks

For us old folks, the Billy Idol concert was the highlight of the party on Saturday. Billy still rocks!!!;)

I know that SEVERAL other H/D Forum members attended this event. What are your thoughts/opinions/ideas/reviews?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The wife and I went on Friday, hoping to miss the crowds. Boy, did we ever!!!!!!!! It was almost deserted up until the main concert event (The Doors). I did take advantage of the test rides, which were grouped by type (model) of bike. From Sportsters to V-Rods and everything in between. Each ride was 30+ minutes long and left the facility for a well-rounded, scenic riding adventure. Having never ridden some of H-D's offerings, I really enjoyed the experience. Another thing I didn't know was that Ford was also celebrating it's 100th anniversary and their contribution to the event was considerable. A separate sound stage (with excellent band) vehicle display, and test drives to name a few. The only beer allowed was from Miller Brewing Company, a long-time H-D (Milwaukee) neighbor. Both food and drinks were a bit expensive........

As for the rest of the event, Pasadena Jim covered it quite well. It was well done and worth attending. Enough said............

Ride Safe :cool:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts