V-Twin Forum banner

100in. Revtech

5K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Deputy 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experence with revtech engines. I am interested in purchasing one and would like feedback from anyone good and bad? Would really like to know how loud the valvetrain is on these. Thanks SDE

#6 ·
Habanero Kid said:
Your money is better spent on an S&S or TP than on Korean Krap. This is MY opinion...you don't have to like it.:rolleyes:
i'll second that although i watched a friends well maintained s&s go south on the way to milwaukee last week. he now has a box stock evo in his tourer.

#8 ·
Thealien said:
If you want to put a Korean motor in an American bike ?? Do what you want, it's your bike.
Well from what we've been able to turn up on other threads, a Korean motor will be right at home in an "American" bike. I bet it can communicate just fine with all the other "multi-national" parts installed on the new Harleys :D

Dep

#9 ·
Deputy said:

Well from what we've been able to turn up on other threads, a Korean motor will be right at home in an "American" bike. I bet it can communicate just fine with all the other "multi-national" parts installed on the new Harleys :D

Dep

Ditto! I have found 80% of the so called custom parts I have ordered for my project has been made in Taiwan. But I guess that is over looked by most builders.:cool:

#11 ·
Habanero Kid said:
Hey Dep,
Sure it will fit and mate up with the 'other' parts. BUT given the choice wouldn't you get something "homemade", right here in the US?
Bob,
"Given the choice " meaning you'll give me the extra $$$ for an S&S motor? :D :D :D
I dunno...I haven't heard much feedback from folks about S&S or RevTech engines. The ones I've seen have mainly been on high-end expensive choppers and I'm not sure they would get the amount or type of use/abuse that our regular Harley engines get. Certainly, the S&S has proven it's worth at the drag strip, but that's a different type of riding.
As far as it being "homemade"....well....my Busa ain't exactly "homemade" and I like it pretty much. The RevTech LOOKS good. If it was sturdy and performed well, I don't think I'd be upset it was made overseas. And if it cost less than an American engine and was sturdy and performed well....EVEN BETTER!!!

Okay...I did find ONE major drawback to the fact it comes from Korea.
No, not the instruction manual being written in Korean :)
Parts...if something busted on it, it might be hard to get parts for it. But I'm not even sure if that's true. I suspect RevTech has to maintain a good supply of parts stateside just like other engine makers.

Dep

#12 ·
I do not personally own a REVTECH or S&S however, after reading numerous articles, I believe, IMHO, S&S is far superior to REVTECH. S&S has been around since 1950, their engines are hand assembled (I love that), extensive testing goes into each one of them before they are released (including installing them on factory owned bikes and road testing them.) high performance with proven reliability, just as good as Harley engines if not better. Go out and compare the cost of a BMC (low 20's) with the cost of an AIH, Big Dog, Vengeance, Wild West, etc with S&S motors on them......they all run in the high $20's to low $30's. A major reason for the cost difference is the motor itself. You have to pay extra for "quality" and I believe the S&S is a higher quality engine, built right here in the good 'ol USA, not too far from Harley Engine town USA. Do your research and then decide.

#13 ·
Well..... You can always wait a little longer to get the IMO, better motor. No extra cash here. I don't know what the 'busa has to do with this topic but speaking about HD's....an "American" bike...why wouldn't you keep a US made powerplant in it? Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't dream of putting a Revtech in my bike. Plenty of people have S&S motors in an otherwise stock machine. I bet even more have S&S carbs on a stock motor. Next time you're at a rally or bike event check out the motors. They have an established positive history to back up their products. IMO, the additional cost is well worth it.

#14 ·
I am 100% AMERICAN, and try to buy that way, I also think that some of the U.S.A. mfg's need to step up to the plate and not let themselves be outdone by anyone from another country, and I am told that the warranty on the RevTech exceeds the S&S greatly, which tells the consumer that they have confidence in the product they sell, if I were to buy an after market engine it would be an S&S likely, but not before they answered the warranty question, and I'd have to like the answer.

#16 · (Edited)
HBK (Bob): My bringing in Suzuki was just to illustrate that things don't HAVE to be Made or Assembled in USA (or America) to be good. I'm not saying EITHER engine is better than the other. And yes, that teardrop air cleaner you see on the pic of my '79 Shovel houses an S&S E carb. Carbs and S&S parts are kind off the subjet too I guess :)

The point is, with so much non-USA built (don't forget, Made in America covers ALL of North America, Central America, and South America as well)/non-American parts on a Harley, the motor change, if it's a reliable one, wouldn't be a big deal at all. You need to check out that thread about foreign parts on a Harley. Don't be surprised to find MANY of the internals of the engines on Harleys are NOT from the US of A (to say nothing of the carb, forks, starter, etc etc etc).
No doubt the S&S has a longer history...they've been around longer so they should. Unless and until someone can give me more than an opinion that RevTech is an inferior product to S&S...I'll hold off on rejecting them as a possible replacement.

SLICK02: Nice to see an Indian (Native American for the PC) on the board :) What tribe and state are you from??
BTW...if you think Harley is 100% American...you got a culture shock on the way :)

Dep

#17 ·
There is a difference between quality foreign parts and junk foreign parts.

My bros ride has a Revtech and it has seen its troubles and to be honest, vibrates you to beat hell above 50 MPH.

I'd have to agree that S&S, TP engineering and Merch have a better engine. Hell, I'd pick up a SE H-D block before any of them.

#18 ·
Deputy said:
HBK (Bob): My bringing in Suzuki was jut to illustrate that things don't HAVE to be Made or Assembled in USA (or America) to be good. I'm not saying EITHER engine is better than the other. And yes, that teardrop air cleaner you see on the pic of my '79 Shovel houses an S&S E carb. Carbs and S&S parts are kind off the subjet too I guess :)

Gotcha...

The point is, with so much non-USA built (don't forget, Made in America covers ALL of North America, Central America, and South America as well)/non-American parts on a Harley, the motor change, if it's a reliable one, wouldn't be a big deal at all.
What I was getting at is, why buy a motor you KNOW was not or is not American made? The others I mentioned are US made....possibly with forein parts, but you knopw how that works.

You need to check out that thread about foreign parts on a Harley. Don't be surprised to find MANY of the internals of the engines on Harleys are NOT from the US of A (to say nothing of the carb, forks, starter, etc etc etc).
I did and I knew long before I bought my bike that such was the case. Being assembled by union folks in the USA and having many US made parts helped make my decision. Plus HD's are cool ! :D

No doubt the S&S has a longer history...they've been around longer so they should. Unless and until someone can give me more than an opinion that RevTech is an inferior product to S&S...I'll hold off on rejecting them as a possible replacement.
All I have is my opinion...and what I've picked up along the way. If I come across anything solid I'll pass it along.

BTW...if you think Harley is 100% American...you got a culture shock on the way :)
Do people still think that????

:confused:

#19 ·
I have a friend that bolted a 100 Rev-Tech into a bagger and has run about 6k on the ticker. He rides hard, real hard and has had no problems. It is a strong engine and I would not hesitate to bolt one in my bagger.

#20 · (Edited)
HBK (you do watch WWF wrestling right? Heart Break Kid?) ;)
I would buy a motor based on quality, workmanship, attention to detail, good looks, performance, and price. If RevTech met all those features, I would NOT exclude it as an option. I will say this...if I were replacing the engine on a TC Harely, then I would stay with a Harley engine. Only because so much of the bike is set up for that engine. But in any other Harley-engined bike, I would have NO qualms about a RevTech IF it met my requirements.
Union made? Pfft! Now you sound like Boismier :D
I always LOOKED for the union label in my shorts, but they have skid marks and it was always covered up :D
Union means zero to me. BTW...I had a Mikuni on my '73 FX and it was just as good as if not better than the S&S carb on my '79 :)

Anyway, to each his own. I will wait and see before making any decisions on which engine is better. Cripes, I hope I NEVER have to make an engine change!!! I LIKE my Shovel :D

Dep

#21 ·
First time post on this forum,so here goes.I've owened (2) 100ci Revtech engines.The first one had 9k on it with a ticking noise I could not hear with my ear but a CCI dealer here in N.C. could so I now have a new 100ci.This engine is much improved over the last one.It cranks much easier even without compression release.I put 2k on it & put it on the dyno @ Myrtle Beach a week ago,111.6 Torque & 93.6 HP.& this is stock!I can purchase these for $3800.00+- so can you.

#22 ·
If, and sometimes it doesn't matter, an American product is as good as a foreign, I buy American.

As far as Harleys having foreign parts.....they outsource manufacturing functions. Harley, American owned, benefits from the outsourcing. Yes some machinists or electricians are out of work here as a result, but at least an American compnay (Harley) is here to provide jobs for others. And, there are jobs created when you outsource. People have to manage the negotiations, communications, shipping, receiving, and quality checks. Harley does do this to ensure their end product is of the quality they expect.

Is Revtech designed, fabricated and assembled in Korea, and run by a Korean owned company? I'd save for an S&S engine if I were in the market.

We have to look out for ourselves sometimes....as in buying American. On a smaller scale, I try to spend my money in my neighborhood. Buy gas from local stations, go to local hardware stores, etc. I want my neighborhood to be prosperous, just like I'd like my country to be prosperous. If Americans don't look out for America, nobody else will.

#23 ·
Well personal crusades to "save the US" aside, I have to look out for ME.
America isn't paying my monthly bills and it isn't riding the bike I ride.
I need to get the BEST bang for my buck and still satisfy all my other conditions. I'm too frigging old to worry about the future or the "big picture" or saving jobs for overpaid union employees that have priced themselves right out of their jobs. All I care abpout is making sure I get a good engine as I described above. I don't care if it's Made on the Moon, as long as it meets MY conditions, I'll buy it.

Dep

#24 ·
Good motor, bad motor, who the f$#% knows. We just wanted to let you know that it is made overseas before you purchased one and then found out...

#26 ·
Deputy said:
"I don't care if it's Made on the Moon, as long as it meets MY conditions, I'll buy it."

:D :D :D

Dep

And that is ALL that really matters!!!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.