V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This being my first 10,000 miles on my bike combined with the fact that I am running a slick as a rear tire, I have decided to have the dealer perform the above maintenance actions.

Two new Dunlop tires installed (currently running the cop tires) and 10k service.

The dealer has quoted $1002.00 for the job. Does this sound like it's in the ball pack?

I am not sure what my problem is with this bike. I mean I have performed maintenance, repair, troubleshooting and overhaul on helicopters, fixed wing aircraft, Boat engines, transmissions and accessories, Dirt bikes of many kinds. I actually paid my own way through college as a wrench. I was not a
fawk up at it either. I must be getting LAZY in my old age.

When It comes to my H-D, I am too busy or too scared to lift a wrench. My question is $1000.00 bucks seems a bit steep.

What have you guys paid for these items?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Your dealers estimate is about average (maybe a little high)...for those tasks...you might find an indy for less: $750-800

2 tires; $250-300
pull the wheels, mount & balance, reinstall; $150-250
10k "PM" $400-550

G

·
Dealer labor and parts on the tire replacement alone would be well over $400.00. The 10K service is a time-consuming series of relatively simple steps. You'd be paying dealer labor rate for work that isn't worth that hourly rate (in my opinion). Worse is the fact that - although they'll charge you as if the best wrench in the place is on the job - your bike will more likely be worked on by the kid making the move up from the wash rack. My advice, do the 10K yourself.

Harris

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
PoPeYe How you doin' mate. Listen for a grand you could fly me to CT and i will do the service for ya...I'll even pay for the parts.
Seriously man that is way too much.
Is this stealership owned by the Gambinos?:huh:
Most indy type bike shops stock a large selection of tyres to suit most makes and most (that I go too)dont even charge for fitting or if they do it's only $10.
Shop around some PoP you will see what I mean.
As for the service that is just a plain scam.IMHO.

·
professional doof
690 Posts
i did take mine n for the 10K and was hit for $375. when i had my avons mounted it was $326 out the door, but the tires were done at an indy (see below link). i would look around if i were you. besides it never hurts to shop around.

josh

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick come back gents.

My buddy took his old BMW to a mom and pop shop. The bill came to 500 and the fuel system and other items were worked on. The tank removed and welded. Perhaps I give that shop a call.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
P 0 P E Y E said:
Perhaps I give that shop a call.
Popeye,

Google for a DVD called "fix my hog". For $50 these guys present step by step instructions that cover everything in a 10K service.

Coupled with the factory manual, you should have all the info you need.

You'll still need to provide your own motivation.:)

·
Registered
755 Posts
$1,000 sounds crazy. i just had my rear tire done at a local indy for around $225. rear is more difficult, so i might guess that the front would be $200. that's $425 for two tires (parts, labor, mount, balance). he did a great job with the back tire, too...perfectly balanced. i do most of the other maintenance myself. but, $575 sounds crazy for the 10k service.

fyi...since you are at 10k, you probably should have the brakes checked (esp. the back). then you can have them both done at the same time while the back wheel is off.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
the dealers are a rip off-check into an indy shop- i do my own services on my bike! take my wheels off and take them to cycle salvage and have new thread put on and balanced. a repair book for your bike is a great tool! if i don't think i can do it- i get help! good luck pop! geno..............

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Popeye, go buy the shop manual and a Sears motorcycle jack. Do the work yourself. The manual and jack will set you back 150 bucks. I built my 95 this winter and I'd never been inside a Harley engine before. They are dead nutz simple to work on if you've worked on helos and such you won't even strain your brain working on that bike. I also pulled my wheels and took them into a shop and had the tires mounted. Total cost on the tires with mounting was $265.

Joe

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hey PoPeYe. Did a google search of Harley dealers in and around CT and it appears that around $500 is the average cost for this service, one dealer had a package deal that included all the services up to the 10k service for $1200.

If you can save around $200, thats better in your pocket than theirs.
Better still give it a crack yourself buddy, you have the best tool of all that's VTF and more than a few guys willing to help or give great advice.

The first couple of years i took my bike to shops for services, but decided to do these myself and it really helped me to"bond" with my bike.

I know you can do it mate.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Get the manual
get the jack
get the spinich
oil Olive to settle you down
then work on the bike

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
it only takes mins to pull both wheels. take em to an indy or hd shop if they're havin a sale. reinstall wheels. check your brake pads while the wheels are off too.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
I'm in the midst of a major (at least for me) job on my Heritage. I have the complete front end and rear wheel removed, as well as all of the cables. I'll be doing the 15k service as it goes back together. I was really pleased with the quality of the instructions in the manual and coupled with some good advice I have gleaned from this forum I have the utmost confidence that everything is going to go back together just fine. I figure I'm saving a grand on labor, not to mention the 20% off on parts from shopping the 'net. Plus, I have the knowledge that the work was done by someone who really cares about it, and I have learned something about my bike. It's not for everyone, but if you have a good supply of quality tools and a mechanical background - I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I would NEVER get my tires done at a dealership! Typically I take my bike to a local shop in downtown Phoenix pretty much only does motorcycle tires. They didn't charge for the mounting/install, and I was able to get the tires I wanted (both dealership balked when I said I wanted Avon's for my stock wheels), for maybe $10 more/tire than online.

Given your location you might not have that option (Phoenix is a large city after all), so I would check an indy as already suggested. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
10K Service

I did tons of research and asked lots of questions. I saved some money by doing the 10K service myself. With the money I saved, I was able to buy the back tire for my 04 Road King. 11K miles on the original tire, and I think I still had a few more miles on it.

10K service that I did:

Change Oil, and seal
Change Primary Oil, and seal
Change Tranmission Oil, and seal
Change Spark Plugs
Check Idle
Installed New Z Pads Brake Pads front and back
Lube Both Cables
Check all Fastners, and bolts,
Purchase Manual
Clean Battery Cables
Lube the saddle bag hinges

Mom and Pops Shop

Did the Clutch Adjustment
Steering Head Bolts-Lube

I'm satisfied with the work I did, and when I paid $40 to install the rear tire, they check the belt / chain tension on the RK.

New tire Dunlop $127.00 including shipping from Cycle Spot, Inc.

You should do most of service yourself, and have a mom and pop shop do the the rest that you are not confortable doing. Save all receipts, and keep a log, you will still save some money.

I'm ready to ride from Albuquerque, NM to Laughlin NV for the River Run:clap: :boobies:

JLOPEZ

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Seems way high to me. I just ordered Metz 880s for about $220-230 delivered and my indie did the whole remove/install/balance job for $50 each wheel. That comes up to about $330 or so max for tires.

That leaves about $670 for a 10K service. That's a lot. I do my own fluids and my indie does the rest and it's a whole bunch less than $670. It'd be a lot less than that even if they did the whole thing.

T113

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Popeye -

A lot of times, I'm busy, lazy and don't want the hassle of wrenching. The pisser for me is that you spend the $1K and don't feel secure that the dealer did the job completely and correctly. Drives me nuts, so I make time for the things I'm comfortable with and "outsource" the others.

For example - I took mine in to a local inde who's into drag racing so he could do the the comp nut milling, re-torque procedure -- just for the insurance of having an experienced guy do the work right. I could have taken the comp nut off, then to the shop for the milling -- but I wanted this particular guy to do the whole enchilada and make sure everything looks right because he's good, has seen a lot of things break and I'm fine paying for this guy's expertise to make sure nothing is amiss.

Similarly, I'm coming up on 10K and so will probably do all but the steering head lube and check, and then "bundle" a few other things I want to do - so I don't pay for labor twice.

IE - bags... I've got to drop the tire, drill holes, move the turnsigs and do some wiring to install bags. I've had a recurrent short in my brakelight. So - I'm waiting until I need a new rear tire and/or the 10K.

Anyway - blah, blah, blah. Your mom and pop place that did the BMW sounds like the kind of place to build a relationship with for doing the things you need.

My .02.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts