V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do my first 1000 mile service. I want to do it myself. Besides changing fluids is there anything important I need to look for besides loose bolts?

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have an 2002 883 custom. I have the little owners manual they give you when you buy a bike. I was just wondering if Sportsers may be famous for any particular problems. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can go to Harley's website at the maintenance section and plug in your VIN and mileage and it will give you a list of items to check. It will also tell you if there are any recalls or anything, but I doubt there are.

Things that Sportsters are famous for lots of problems of course! :) Oil coming from air cleaner (lots of fixes), oil leaking from rocker boxes (probably not yet since only 1000 miles), transmission fluid coming out of transmission vent and all over swingarm (easy fix), bolts loose (tighten!).

Definitely be sure to check your bolts, my husband had his taillight fall off and one of his handebar controls, I've had my rear pipe mount come off and brake resevoir screw and handlebars screw and one of the tank mounts was loose (could turn it with my hand) and one of the engine mount bolts would've come out completely if not for it hitting the gas tank.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
You might want to leave this one up to the shop. They should go through most of the bike looking for problems from the factory that showed up on the ride.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry, I'm not trying to start anything, but your dealer's a crook. What he's actually saying is, "If you don't pay me to do your 1k service, I'm going to give you a hell of a time getting warranty work done if it needs it." You might want to post the dealer name so other's can avoid the blood sucking bastard.

Great bike! Do you have a pic for us?

·
Registered
90 Posts
After reading all this stuff I feel better about my local dealer... Free 1000 mile service....not to rub it in ...but I didn't realize that others didn't do things like this...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Dealer just did my 1000k for free. I didn't think it was possible to use the work "dealer" and "free" in the same sentance. Who would of thunk it.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer said that it would cost $180.00 for the 1K service, and do not go over 1K at all. So I may call the owner and see what she has to say. As for as pictures, I picked up the bike one week ago and haven't taken any yet, but I'll get one it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just did my 1K check on my '02 FLSTFI (with a lot of help from my Dad, who does all his own maintenance.) I checked for obvious loose bolts or anything when I waxed it, so most of mine was just fluids, and chain tension check. I went to synthetic for all fluids. I was also pretty amazed at the amount of iron filings on the magnetic plugs. My dealer said it would run $300, so if you got it for free, yes there are a lot worse deals out there. Good for you. From what I hear, 5K might be the one to let the dealer do. Also, thanks for that point about the HD website, I did not know that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aside from loose bolts already mentioned, check everything in the 1000 mile maint section of your owner's manual. Buy the shop manual and it will tell you how. $25 well spent. Of special interest, both the Primary Chain and the main Drive Belt stretch quite a bit during the first 1000 miles. My 95 Dyna had the primary chain so loose it was hitting the case at 500 miles! Be sure to check both of these to spec. HD sells a $10 tool to check the final drive belt. The Primary Chain is best done the first time by taking the primary cover off (new gasket needed). After that you can check it thru the inspection hole. Also note the primary chain gets TIGHTER as the engine heats up (aluminum cases, steel chain). The shop manual has hot and cold specs.

Now's the time to become your own wrench.

Ned

1 - 12 of 12 Posts