V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of a trip I have planned and dealer scheduling I will likely have about 1200-1300 miles on my new 03 fat boy when I take in for its 1000 maintenance. Is that a problem? I do not ride the bike hard but I am concerned about going over the recommeded mileage especially for this first scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'd try to get it done before your trip. The 1st oil change is criitical in my opinion. Lots of break-in particles floating around in there. Doesn't hurt to change the engine oil, at least, before it's due. The rest of the 1000 mile service could wait.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
jaeco57, I admire your interest in maintaining your ride. The 1000 mile service is a very important one. You should NOT ignore it.

As for riding a few hundred extra miles before getting the service, will it "damage" your ride? No. You should definitely have the 1000 mile service performed, and around 1000 miles, but going 300 miles over the 1000 mile service won't damage your bike.

Will changing the oil on your own hurt? Of course not. Regular oil changes are essential and the first one will help get potential crap out of your oil. So, it can't hurt! Must you do it? Again, no. Your bike will survive (and suffer no undue damage) if you must wait until 1300 miles to have the 1000 mile service performed. Don't read this to be carte blanche to ignore the 1000 mile service or stretch it into 2000-2500 miles. But the 300 extra miles are not fatal.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My dealer told me 800-1200 miles for the service. I do agree with the previous posts though, I would have a warmer, cozier feeling if I got that oil out of there. I took mine in at 900 and all was well. You would probably be OK, but what if something were amiss in there and you put the extra miles on it and did internal damage?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
FLHR-I said:
My dealer told me 800-1200 miles for the service. <snip> ... but what if something were amiss in there and you put the extra miles on it and did internal damage?
Exactly. That is the precise reason for the 1000 mile service. So it is very important and should not be ignored or unduly delayed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would never change oil without changing the filter also. Never made sense to me. I would change the filter and add oil before I would change oil without a new filter. Just my two cents.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Find an accomodating dealer along the route that will do the service while you wait. On my way back home from FL last weekend I was chatting with a couple from Cincy OH that did exactly that. They departed a week earlier on their brand spankin new Ultra and stopped at Earl Smalls in Marietta, GA (they already had a hotel stop planned in the area and called way in advance to the dealer) for the thousand service.

Of course that requires advance planning and a cooperative dealer (Earl Smalls is batting 1.000 for me so far). YMMV

·
BFFB
833 Posts
i have called ahead for oil change on trips,,,dealers are usually very accomodating for travelers,,,however i would be a little leery of going off on a brand new one ,,although i never had any warrenty work done it seems that if something came up that it would happen in the first 1k

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.