V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy but refuses to pay 65 bucks I bought one at the local Wal-Mart for 39 bucks.I haven't read it yet but it seems to be of high quality.I'm interested to read Willie G's slant on things.
guido

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Got mine for Christmas. Read it cover to cover right away. I loved it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Christmas present

I got the book for Christmas from my mother in law. Best present she has ever given me. She got it at Sam's Club.

I have read it cover to cover. Enjoyed every minute of it. You can tell Willie G. is not a writter but still a very interesting read. Pictures in it are top quality. I'm very glad I have it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I really liked the book because it comes from his perspective. He writes about his favorite models and why he likes them. Insight into the AMF years and recovery was good. Most books just tell you the facts, Willie adds the personal family influence to the stories. I knew he loved racing, now I know why, and how that shaped his designs.
Frank

·
Registered
621 Posts
I received one in my stocking also. Funny how some of the resentment that I feel towards the MoCo becomes a little less hostile after a couple drinks and some bedtime reading. Owning and operating a company brings great pressures upon not only the principals, but their families as well. I am sure he felt for the people and their families who had been with the company for an extended period who stood to lose their livelihoods, not to mention the history only he could feel as a Davidson.
HOWEVER, I still won't let the bastards get rich off me every time I set foot in the door, mainly because they seem to have forgotten the basic principles of customer service in a free market economy.
I'll fix mine up elsewhere.
Printer

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Santa also brought me a copy. I started reading it, so far it's pretty good.
I really like the old MoCo ads and B&W pictures of the first years. I enjoy reading about how models came about and why.

·
Registered
515 Posts
For those that are and have read the book. Do you recommend buying the book or just reading it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a copy of the book for my Dad as a Christmas present. I got it at Sam's for about $40. I read it cover to cover while I spent Christmas with my parents. It was a pretty good book and was interesting to get the H-D story from the perspective of Willie G. One of the things that I found the most interesting was the fact that the company almost went out of business several times. It also reinforced Harley's history of evolution rather than revolution as far as changing their product line. If you look at the styling of the bikes from the mid-30s, they haven't really changed that much over the years.

I'd recommend buying it for $40 but not at the suggested retail price.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
As much as I disliked what he did and how Willie G ran the MoCo, you get to see a little bit of what's on the other side of the fence. You can read about his motives for certain direction changes and the like. I would tell folks to buy it at Sam's Club $39, DO NOT pay full retail!!! Better yet tell someone that you want it for father's day or birthday.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I appreciate it guys, I'll have to tell some winch to buy me a copy at Wally world club.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Good read

It's a good read. It is also worth owning for 40 bucks. Good for the coffee table, good pictures. Interesting perspective.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just finished reading it & I'd say it's worth the 40 bucks.Lots of never before seen pics of old,vintage iron & the people who rode 'em.

Think what you want of the MoCo,but you've got to love Willie G's enthusiasm.He doesn't get technical,he just explains the company's ups & downs over the years & his take on things.He reminds us constantly how great his company & his bikes are,but after 100 years I guess I would too.I guess it's to be expected.

There are pics & typical technical data of some of the companys milestone models,along with a few paragraphs on the whats,whys,etc of that particular model.

I'm glad I bought it,it is definitely a keeper.
guido

·
Registered
276 Posts
Got one for christmas also & still reading it ,good reading so far, Also got a book called The Harley Century, Pretty good reading also.
Larry

·
Registered
515 Posts
Is there any insight into what the future Harley's will be like in the book.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Off Topic a little--

The AMA is setting up a collection of 100 years of Harley Davidson history of Heroes at their museum.
Willie G. bikes will be on display plus they have a complete built to scale of the original shed that the first machine rolled out of. :cool:

<<--Story Here-->>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts