V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recall "The Reverend" Fred Phelps and his flock of hate mongers who protest soldiers' funerals, saying their deaths were God's punishment for people being gay? I doubt that much will ever be collected from these sick freaks, and there will be appeals, but at least the federal jury's verdict sends a strong message. Story on CNN.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Agree and Agree

Bikertrash99 said:
'Bout damn time these slimeballs get hit where it hurts. AGREE
Betcha they'll never pay it though.AGREE

Don't let the sensational jury awards you see in the news for any subject lead you to thinking that is what it is. They very often get thrown out by a judge or severely reduced by a judge.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
roofeditor said:
Don't let the sensational jury awards you see in the news for any subject lead you to thinking that is what it is. They very often get thrown out by a judge or severely reduced by a judge.
Actually, and hear me out, I hope it does get severely reduced. Not because I sympathize with them, quite the opposite. There is no possible way they would pay $10.9M, (even if they were inclined to pay it, they aren't though). However, if the award is reduced to say, $1/2 M, maybe even only $1/4M, perhaps (and I'm not an attorney, so I do not know, just speculating here) well perhaps the courts would be in a better position to ENFORCE that penalty. That much money would put a severe cramp in that "congregation's" ability to do much of anything for a very long time.

·
FNG
320 Posts
Bot said:
Actually, and hear me out, I hope it does get severely reduced. Not because I sympathize with them, quite the opposite. There is no possible way they would pay $10.9M, (even if they were inclined to pay it, they aren't though). However, if the award is reduced to say, $1/2 M, maybe even only $1/4M, perhaps (and I'm not an attorney, so I do not know, just speculating here) well perhaps the courts would be in a better position to ENFORCE that penalty. That much money would put a severe cramp in that "congregation's" ability to do much of anything for a very long time.

he should get 10million for his pain and suffering. who are we to say he should get a penny less.

Sadly, the church net worth is estimated at less than 1mil , so they have decided if this verdict holds they are going to file bankruptcy.

the key point here is that it sets lays the ground work for brining future law suits for this type of behavior.....

·
Piece of Work
414 Posts
I don't think that the money is the issue. This is finally a way to shut up these cowards that hide behind free speech.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think they are a POS!

But I think they will appeal and it will be overturned, on grounds it is interfering with their 1st amendment rights.

It is a slippery slope, if we cannot demonstrate and voice our opinions, whether we like it or not.

AGAIN.. I think they are a POS!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I liken this to a hate crime and it should be treated as such... a few years in prison will hurt them more than having to pay out $10M

·
Piece of Work
414 Posts
01FLHT4ME said:
I think they are a POS!

But I think they will appeal and it will be overturned, on grounds it is interfering with their 1st amendment rights.

It is a slippery slope, if we cannot demonstrate and voice our opinions, whether we like it or not.

I don't think it interferes with their rights. They are being sued for harming someone. They can still protest but they are responsible if that protest causes damage to someone.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I used to live 60 miles from Topeka, Ks where the good reverend and his misguided followers are. Every time we went to shop in there he would have his protesters lining the roads with their picket signs. I used to be sooo tempting to drift a little too far to the shoulder of the road to see how many I could take out with my mirror.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I wonder what would happen if

What if we organized a summer protest and had 200 protesters outside the little Kansas chapel every day for a couple of months where these guys go to pray. I'd bet they would have no mercy on our protest and be calling in every lawyer they can buy to have us stopped. I can thing of some great protest banners we could hold up for them to read.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind:
and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
cdrobin66 said:
This is the same POS that stated the kids at Virginia Tech needed to die as well.
This guy is a crazy

Carl
they also performed at the funerals of the WVA coal miners. I wisht I'da been there.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
toybox99615 said:
What if we organized a summer protest and had 200 protesters outside the little Kansas chapel every day for a couple of months where these guys go to pray. I'd bet they would have no mercy on our protest and be calling in every lawyer they can buy to have us stopped. I can thing of some great protest banners we could hold up for them to read.
I like the way you think...sometimes :laugh:

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
correct

01FLHT4ME said:
I think they are a POS! AGREE

But I think they will appeal and it will be overturned, on grounds it is interfering with their 1st amendment rights. AGREE

It is a slippery slope, if we cannot demonstrate and voice our opinions, whether we like it or not. AGREE

AGREE

Unfortunately people have the RIGHT to be a POS.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
toybox99615 said:
I think you're on to something there toy. Maybe something like 2 or 300,000 bikers on vacation? Perhaps the locals in Kansas would be interested in a biker rally in westboro? I can bring several thousand PGR. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts